Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog training?

Dog training?

We rescued a puppy that is just under 1 year old. He needs some serious training. We looked into some local companies, and they want close to $1,000 for six hours of training (one hour sessions, once per week for six weeks, at our house).

That seems a lot, considering that we ourselves will really be doing the training, since the trainer will only be spending an hour per week with him.

Any suggestions? Anyone have any experience with great training solutions that we can do ourselves? Any internet resources?

Thanks in advance!
    I thank my Lord for all His wonderful blessings.

Dont they have cheap seminars at petsmart?
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

Xshare:

We asked locally, and several folks we know who did the Petsmart thing were not happy with the results.

Is the dog already potty trained? "Crate training" is extremely effective. When we first got our dog, for the first few days we kept him in his "crate" (cage). Very comfortable, soft bed, toys, NO WATER OR FOOD BOWL. Three times a day, take the dog out of the cage, give him food and water for 10 minutes. Then take him outside. Until he goes to the bathroom. DO NOT come back in until he goes to the bathroom. Once he's done, praise him to death. Then give him a few hours of play time outside the crate. Then put him back in.

Next meal time, repeat the process.

Your dog should be potty trained within 3-4 days tops. Our dog got it down cold within 2 days.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Where are you located? My father in law paid something like $1500/per dog to have 2 of his dogs trained. Of course, this trainer boarded the dogs at her farm and worked with them constantly and once a week would work with my father in law on what the dogs had learned. This went on for about a month per dog. If you're in western Washington, I would highly recommend www.puppymanners.com. Otherwise I would definitely look for another trainer. I think that you should be able to do much better than $1000. Good luck!
    Chris Spangler
    chris@thespanglers.net

Basic obedience should run around $25 per hour max. If you happen to be in the Houston area, I can recommend a trainer who charges $99 for a 6 week session at her place (two hours per week).

http://riverranchdogs.com/

She doesnt train your dog, she trains YOU on how to train your dog. She has some of the best trained dogs I have seen. Completely trained using both either/or verbal and silent hand siignals.

That's a ton. My dad paid $80 for 6 weeks of lessons.

What training are you looking for. Some training is very easy to accomplish at home. Also try contacting several PetSmarts. Each one has a different training staff. You can also contact you vet and local rescue groups for leads on alternative training. Some rescue groupd will offer training at a reduced rate. A trained dog makes a better pet and there is less chance the dog will end up homeless.

I could never recommend any Petsmart. Every one I have been in was a joke. I dont do public training, but I do train my own. It's funny when I walk into a Petsmart with my Great Dane, have her work circles around their best. I could make a lot of money doing that because I always have people asking if I will train their dogs.

I walk in, Tara (my great dane) is not leashed. She stays on my left on every isle, on every turn. When I stop, she sits. I can put a steak on the floor, and she will leave it until I give her the go-ahead. I can have her lay there with it between her front legs, and she still doesnt touch it, (but she makes it known she wants it..LOL). She can say "please", "I love you", and "thankyou". Ok, she's not a parrot, but you can understand it somewhat. She has her own twin sized bed, and a place at the table (no she doesnt sit in a chair, heh)

http://jasher-relyn.com/danes/images/teras1.jpg

It's not hard to train a dog as long as you have the time, and are willing to spend that time training them. As for crate training, dogs over a few months old wont potty where they have to eat and sleep. Feed them in the crate, wait two hours, take them outside to go potty. You accomplish two things...crate training and potty training. One of the most important thing I tell people to train their dogs on.......make them bark like crazy when someone tells them "Shhhh" to try and get them quiet. Always mess with them, pet them, play with their nose, etc while they are eating. It teaches them to not be aggressive with their food. It's all those little things that add up to make a great dog.

...And never Never NEVER let the dog bite a child. If the dog ever even so much as snaps at a child, jack that dog across the skull. That's for it's own safety, and yours too. Even if the child was picking on the dog, if that dog bites the child, the parents may attempt to sue you, and the law may try to put your dog down. A few painful knocks across it's skull is well worth the benefits of preventing that ever happening.

There is a place here in Dallas called Pet Perfect which is where I had my IGs trained. They take you through different levels of training from beginner to advance. The places where you just drop your dog off and pay a ton are of no use if you want a really well trained pet. There is as much training for the human as there is for the pet.

We are part of the IG rescue here in Dallas so it is especially important that you be there for their training as it helps the abused dogs learn to trust you more. All of mine go through the Green Paw training which was less than $150 for 8 weeks of training. I highly recommend finding something similar.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    UrNode - Virtual Solutions
    http://www.UrNode.com

If its special training for assistance dogs thats normal but common training is fairly cheap...

Originally posted by vito
    Is the dog already potty trained? "Crate training" is extremely effective. When we first got our dog, for the first few days we kept him in his "crate" (cage). Very comfortable, soft bed, toys, NO WATER OR FOOD BOWL. Three times a day, take the dog out of the cage, give him food and water for 10 minutes. Then take him outside. Until he goes to the bathroom. DO NOT come back in until he goes to the bathroom. Once he's done, praise him to death. Then give him a few hours of play time outside the crate. Then put him back in.

Next meal time, repeat the process.
    Vito would this work for children

Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Hehe, the collar 'n' leash may look a little odd to your neighbors, but I say give it a shot.

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

He goes outside for potty, but when he's loose in the house he piddles on the carpet, which is pissing me off. That's one thing that needs to change ASAP.

Regarding the professional trainers and what they charge, these are people who have been doing it for 30 years. They have a gigantic book of photos and letters praising their training, quite a few from celebrities and well-knowns like sports figures and local bigwigs.

The training they provide is just basic training. Further, advanced training (like perimeter training and such), would require an additional $1,000.

I'm tempted to download a training program I read about online:

http://www.dogproblems.com/

In reading his stuff, he talks about exactly the same things the local pro trainer talked about when he came to our house to meet the dog for the first time.

Any further thoughts?

In 1994 I thought about this same question for our "new" addition to the family. I ended up paying about $350 for a guy to teach me the basics. It worked and from what I can tell about that website it looks very similiar to what I learned.

I guess paying a personal trainer is OK, but personally I think it's overkill. When we first got our dog, we took a Dog Obedience Course. We took our dog to one class a week for about 6 weeks. There were about a dozen people enrolled in the class. It was in a big room (a school gymnasium, I think). I found it very effective and it was relatively inexpensive. It was a long time ago, but I think it was around $60-70.

It might take some searching, but have a look in your own community for one of these courses.

Just a thought.

And if he's piddling in the house, do your best to catch him in the act. When he does, very quickly pick him up and run outside. Then praise him afterwards. If you see the deed after the fact, don't bother scolding him. It will be pointless. He won't know what you're upset about.

Vito

I found a local kennel that offers three options:

1) Group training. Six weeks, two hours on Sunday afternoon, $70 total.

2) Private training, $60 per two hour lesson, about six weeks.

3) In-board training. The dog stays at the kennel for three weeks and gets trained every single day. Total cost, including training and board: $550.

I'd opt for #1.

Failing that, ship me your dog + $400 and I'll train him for you. You've just saved yourself 150 smackeroos...

Vito

Your address?

123 Piddle Lane
    Doggytown Canada
    B0W 0W0

Vito

He'll be there on Friday. I'll get you a tracking number shortly. He likes Purina One.

An untrained dog is the #1 cause of death. (Running out in the road, etc). If you dont know how to do it, talk to people that you see with good dogs. The owner of a good dog always wants to talk about what it took to get them trained. The people that have great dogs spend a lot of time with them. There is no other way. Even if you get them trained you have to be trained also.

I have heard that the average dog costs $4000 over their lifetime. I think that number is low for people that actually care for their dog. If you spend $500 in training for yourself and the dog you should get much more enjoyment out of them.

I have worked with Lab Rescue in Dallas off and on for several years. Once you get trained on how to work with a dog consider working with a rescue group. Most of the dogs in the pound or with rescue groups arent bad, they just need a few hours of work.

my 2 cents

PV

How will you all train your sons or daughters? LOL! I have been with my dog (a Shih Tzu) for 8 years now; she has her meals twice a day, and go to the bathroom (in-house) right after that. She have had her naughty times, but generally speaking and for the past few years, she rarely wets the house. This is just one example of how well-behaved she is. The most important thing is: we communicate with each other. I know what she thinks and vice versa (not always but mostly). Don't get it wrong, she is NOT "obedient". You don't obey when you understand, do you?
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

try the humane society, around here they do 18 weeks of training for free
    WHT's Own Tekster

Do i have a "Technical Support" sign on my back?
    Listen To Tekster Radio!

I think it's wonderful that you adopted an animal. I wish there were more people like you, these animals are innocent victims of our culture.

Many communities run dog training programs through the local YMCA, or other similar organization. Though they can be hit or miss, if you can find a good one they are cheap and you get to meet other local people who share a similar interest.

Remember that in many cases it's the trainer that needs to be trained first before they can communicate effectively with the animal.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast