I have a lot of work - need designers, writers/editing, data entry, some flash, DB..

Hey all,

I have posted many times in this forum... unfortunately, I could not find my username/password, so I started a new account.

As such, I'm familiar with many past posts where people are looking for work, design, contract, etc. -- I've also seen a lot of people saying 'will work for free, food, hamburgers, portfolio, etc.!'

Okay, so I'm not looking for free... and not just trying to help someone build their portfolio... but I have a lot of work and this will help you do just that. And best of all, I want to PAY people... I started as a designer, and know it's sometimes tough to find work... and was always (myself) insulted by all the trades, etc. -- when what I wanted was money!

I know that this should warrant a lot of responses, so inherent in that is people almost bidding to provide their services -- as such, the market economies will drive the price... understand that we have a lot of work and can keep some good people very busy.

There are a number of areas, and I'll touch upon some of the larger priorities. I'm looking for contract work, probably mainly per-project, perhaps in some area per-hour, but I'm not such a big fan of that. If I wanted employees, I'd go hire them.

1) Web Site Design: Okay, this is fairly simple and straightforward USUALLY. We have some different needs and I'll do my best to describe. Designers are easy to find, but I need someone who has artistic skill AND expertise in laying out non-bloated code, including the use of CSS. We have subscribed to many template services -- where they provide templates of web sites -- and found that they ALL, to a T, focus on looking good, but do so at the expense of code bloat.

In fact, what we offer ties in very much with SEO (search engine optimization) and when we utilize these templates, we have to rip them apart to make them SEO-friendly. An understanding of CSS is important. I want to be able to hand someone templates, have them process per our specs, or, have someone come up with their own templates, and again, process per our specs, so we can go from there.

Ideally, I'd like someone so good that they can take it from not just template development and handing over to us... but also take it throughout the whole development process... and we have A LOT OF THIS. Meaning many websites to build.

Ours is a system built on economies of scale, so anyone who can understand how to efficiently build the foundation for something and make it readily usable with limited modification in other settings will be just what we're looking for. From experience, we've learned that really understanding web design is key... doing things efficiently is important.

2) With the above in mind... someone VERY good at translation our ideas to good code and really UNDERSTANDING page structure and design is important.

3) Also with that in mind... we have a lot of digitization stuff... though not enough to keep someone busy 40hrs per week for the next three years. So preferably in addition to the above -- the potential as projects on their own -- we'd like to be able to give people photographs, videos, cds, research papers, etc. and have them digitized (e.g. PDF, WMF, etc.)... understanding how to do so and produce QUALITY results -- without producing 600MB files -- is key. Being able to efficiently process items (e.g. Actions with Photoshop or something else) is important too.

4) We utilize very powerful technology that is based on .XML and .XSLT -- as such, anyone with knowledge of those will be look upon favorably. This doesn't necessarily mean mastery of, say, .XSLT -- just understanding the rules (e.g. becomes etc.)...

5) For the above, use of Photoshop is VERY GOOD -- we like layered Photoshop files, and using a system for generating clean code is a must -- unless FrontPage has finally stopped adding a lot of crap -- that is the kind of thing we don't like.

6) SCREEN SCRAPING -- we have a big project for which we'd like someone with these skills -- perhaps using Internet Macros or the like. Scrape data, enter into database, etc. Kind of a unique skill... and will be posting at Rent-a-Coder, but figured I'd try here too.

7) Data entry -- lots of this, and maybe best for someone looking to earn a few bucks. Rudimentary stuff... e.g. adding data on a daily basis, links with descriptions, etc.

8) Writing/editing -- key for us... we need a lot of it... GOOD writers who can follow directions because they way we do things is a little, shall we say, interesting -- following XML/XSLT technology again (for which the writers don't need any knowledge), and you can think of the following example: Write a three paragraph document and give me 5 versions of it... that are unique from one another... that kind of thing.

Okay, for now that's it... I came to this forum because in the past I've seen a lot of talented people offering their services... and a lot of people really looking to pick up business, and offering great rates... I think there are many good developers in here, so it seemed the logical place to start.

At any rate, we're very good at what we do... so we'll know exactly what we like and don't like and should readily be able to find just the right mix of skills. Appreciate that some of these items could lead to a heck of a lot of work for talented people... we have the ability to one, two, three, five or more busy all the time... and as such, hope a few of you are looking for work!

Importantly, as soon as we find someone or someoneS good... we can get started... we'll know when we've hit upon someone with talent, and if that happens quickly, we can get you started just as quickly... we also don't plan to screw around with people... so if someone can prove they're good, we're not going to say "Okay, start with this three-week project, and if we like it, we'll pay you at the end."

Looking forward to hearing from you and happy holidays. Feel free to PM me... I'll be working A LOT over the next few days... trying to keep us from getting too painfully busy, which is want is happening, thus the need to find some talent.

Robert
    Last edited by RunRabbit; 12-24-2003 at 12:09 PM.

What's your budget for a web-design project?

Hi Template Alien,

It's impossible to say what a buget for web design is since what we're doing isn't your traditional web design project. It will really have a lot to do with what skillsets that are brought to the table and what a particular developer's workload is like... we are budgeting a good amount of money toward this in an ongoing basis, but how much and what kind of the work a particular designer CAN do will dictate how much it's worth.

It's really much more than just web design or one web design project... anyone who brings experience and a particular skillset to the table, can tell me what they charge and we can go from there.

Thanks!

p.s. I assumed (by your name and web address) that you develop templates... but I couldn't view on your site... I know that one thing we need is a group of new templates that are laid out (in terms of HTML, not design) in a particular fashion -- which is relatively easy to pickup once the 'rules' are laid out. Incidentally, these rules make for good web design anyway, so leaning toward our method as an end result is actually a good thing anyway... as an example... we can usually take the initial HTML page developed by a template site service and redo so as to reduce the total code by a good 80%... and also move the 'meat and potatos' of the CONTENT way up to the top of the page (in the HTML that search engine crawlers see) without changing the look and feel at all... that is ultimately a good thing and a good skill anyway... if you have templates or develop them, please let me know... I'm assuming you do!
    Last edited by RunRabbit; 12-24-2003 at 04:12 PM.

Runrabbit what is your email?

Hey, PM Me and I'll PM you back my email... or just include your email address and I'll email you... I'd rather not post in the forum... I've already had my email address mined and I receive way to much spam as it is!

you can email at rkem96[at]aol.com

chimaerax[at]hotmail.com

articopro[at]hotmail.com

Followup...

Hi all... thanks for all your responses... both here and via PM.... I will be following up with everyone over the weekend... and also, anyone else who wants to post or PM me, please do.

As mentioned before, there is a lot of work... one of those situations where it's almost too much, especially coming up in the new year.

As such, I will certainly hope to work with a number of you, and my team is trying now to get together an immediate 'plant of attack' to get things together and farmed out.... as I initially suspected, there are many talented people here who could help us a lot, and, in return, receive a lot of work.

I'm going to try to better get my hands wrapped around what we have and how it breaks down so I can speak with each of you on an individual level and best target our needs with your particular skillset.

If anyone doesn't hear from me for a day or two... don't worry... it's just a holiday thing!

Robert

Hello, Robert
    I am an experienced Web Designer. Please have a look on my work portfolio at: http://www.zakpatel.com and let me know maybe we do somthing together... I can be contacted by an email (mzrp@yahoo.com) OR My AIM is: mzakirpatel.

|> zakpatel.com

Hello,
    I am a freelance webdesigner who would like to offer my services. My portfolio is available at www.nemelization.com
    Thanks,
    Contact details are available in my sig.
    Web: www.explosivefx.com | Mail: me[at]nemelization.com | AIM: Nemeliza | MSN: me[at]nemelization.com