fully manaded dedicated servers

I'm a resller who faced many troubles with hosts, so I intend to go and get a dedicated server. An because I dont need that much space/bandwidth, I'll try to find 3 more guys to share a server.

Because Its gonna be my first server, I think I need a fully managed one. I was looking at the very ggod offers of menaged.com, specially their new fantastic deal of celeron 2.0/512mb ram/80G disk/1200G/100Mbps (AboveNet), with 10 IPs and free cPanel (unlimited domains).

The question is: is this what you call a fully managed server?

Here is what they say about the kind o management that comes with their servers:

Managed Services: Free E-Mail Support (Unlimited); Free MRTG; Free Manual Reboot (Unlimited); Free OS Restore; Free Software Installation; Free Hardware Installation; Free Kernel Recompile; and Free Security Patches Update.

Is that a fully managed server?
    If not, what is a fully managed server? what else does it add to the obove services to be called a 'fully managed' server?

And btw, they lease these servers for 55, do you know of any other good quality company that can beat that price?

That is BY FAR not a fully managed server. Please note, you will never, EVER, get quality managed services for that kind of price. Fully managed servers usually include software optimization (such as mySQL/PHP), fixing common problems on request, port/service monitoring, and more.

Thanks for clearin this for me. In fact the price is too good to believe. But I've read many reviews here in favor of managed.com They all think highly of them. I've tried their servers as reseller, and I found them super fast with very good uptime records.

They said 'free software installation' wouldnt that iclude mysql/php installation and optimizations then?

Expect to pay more for than $55 for a fully managed server. Like this one here:

https://www.servintservers.com/

Or one of the higher servermatrix/theplanet management packages:

http://servermatrix.com/managed_services.html

Or, you can get a server anywhere else and get some 3rd party to manage it - but in any event, you're not going to really get 'fully managed' for $55.

-David
    Ion Web Services/TronicTech
    http://www.ion-web.com or Unsupported webhosting?!?
    Shared hosting, Reseller accounts, Dedicated Servers, and More
    Proudly hosting since 2002

If you haven't noticed through search, even though Managed.com has good a good uptime/network, their support is horrible. I've had first hand experiences. My support ticket from about a week ago is still unanswered. But anyway, I agree with thedavid, $55/month is the base price for management, not a fully managed server.

Someone please correct me if I am mistaken, but
    I thought I read not long ago about someone calling the name "managed.com" deceiving because they weren't managed. So does Managed.com fall under semi-managed or unmanaged? I mean, EV1 and ServerBeach are unmanaged providers and offer similiar "free" services that are included with their account/server. So can someone please clarify what Managed.com is, since the name seems to be throwing many people off?
    Charnell Lucich
    Community Engagement Manager
    Rackspace Hosting
    http://community.rackspace.com

Here's what I think of when I think of a managed server - they pro-actively deal with the day to day runnings of a server, meaning they'll do IDS stuff, update it on their own, monitor the vitals such as server load, drive space, things like that. It's also common to have a single individual that handles all of your account issues - for example, if you wanted something installed (like chilisoft asp for example) you could just call that person up and have them do it for you. A lot of 'managed' servers out there that are not in the realm of WHT at all don't even allow for the customer to have the root password, as everything is already done for you - you just concentrate on your business.

I would call managed.com an un-managed to very basic semi-managed server provider, based on those issues alone.

-David
    Ion Web Services/TronicTech
    http://www.ion-web.com or Unsupported webhosting?!?
    Shared hosting, Reseller accounts, Dedicated Servers, and More
    Proudly hosting since 2002

I would agree with thedavid on this. Managed.com is only a semi-managed server offering at best. There is another thread here that also brings into question the speed of managed.com's network. It would seem that Servermatrix has much faster speeds as well...

Speed tests Servermatrix VS managed.com

Now if you want a fully managed server I would echo the suggestion to look into Servint...
    Last edited by Mark_YH; 12-20-2003 at 10:22 PM.