Thread: Oh crap.

Oh crap.

I just started up my main PC again today, only to discover that I have no connection to my network or to the cable modem connected to that network. I looked everywhere I can, tried using the "repair" button on the Local Area Connection, but that said that it couldn't find an IP address or something to that effect. According to WinXP the network card works, and I'm connected at 10mbps (weird too). Hmm... any ideas?
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

No connection to the internet or no connection to your actual network?

Maybe your network device does not have DHCP enabled. Try manually assigning an IP address to your network card..
    Brad Baker
    XYZulu Hosting

No, this has worked fine, for over a year.... now it suddenly doesn't work. I replaced the network cable and tried another connector on the router, but that didnt work either. Anopther thing that bugged me was that it didn't even notice that I took the cable out... normally it says that the network cable was unplugged. And to reply to inogenius, it seems to have no connection to the network at all. The other comps work fine, have internet and see each other.

I checked the network connections page, and it says that I'm connected at 10mbps but that no data at all is passing through.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat

I'll try going to yesterdays system restore point first.
    AIM=IQPhat

I have had this, i have found re-creating the network with the wizard is the only fix i have found so far.

It works though

I tried that too... no avail. It's now doing the system restore thing, so lets hope so.
    AIM=IQPhat

there is alwasy a re-install of TCPIP
    Easy in xp: netsh int ip reset
    Brad Baker
    XYZulu Hosting

OK system Restore didnt help things, now doing what rochen said Brad said.
    AIM=IQPhat

And that didn't work either...
    AIM=IQPhat

Could be a dead card, or software issues. What do you get for an IP when doing a "run->ipconfig /all"? Is the IP in the 169.xxx range, or 192.xxx?

169 means XP isn't really talking to the router. You might try shutting down, and reseating the card. If that fails, go to the device manager and remove the card...then reboot. It should auto-discover the card, and attempt to reinstall it.
    [make sure you have any neccesary drivers before doing this]

169. I'll try the device manager thing first, and then reseat the card.
    AIM=IQPhat

well that didnt work. Off to reseat
    AIM=IQPhat

I had the same thing last night. Couldnt connect for a while, then when I could it said i was only 10mbps, not that it matters tho.

This morning it was back to normal.
    ·· Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is... ··
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

Wow... it works now. All I did was unplug everything and then plug it all back in. It's kinda slow though. ( I was oging to reseat it when I noticed it was built into the Mobo. )
    AIM=IQPhat

Glad you got it working...but I personally hate 'mystery' fixes. They have a way of returning at the worst possible moment. I'd do 2 things, myself. One, I'd buy a backup NIC, and 2, I'd buy (or build) a brand new CAT5 cable (or 3) and replace the one I'd been using.
    Could be the cable is flaky...?

As I already mentioned, I replaced the cable with a brand new one that came with my new laptop I mentioned.
    AIM=IQPhat

Oops..missed that. Just the extra card then. I had an on-board one where the connector opening was sort of loose, and the cable didn't seat completely. The cable was an 'off' brand (ironically, came free with a laptop ), which probably didn't help.

Those nasty cat5 cables with dirty great big plastic things over the clip... get you every time....
    Brad Baker
    XYZulu Hosting