Scrolling frames without scroll bars?

Hi there.

This is my first post on these forums. This seemed like a good place to ask my question.

I'm desiging a site at the moment which uses a 3 column layout. The site is being designed on 1024x768 resolution. The left & right colums are fixed as non-scrollable, which is fine for a 1024x768 display.

However, since a large proportion of PC users are still using 800x600 (why, oh why?!) I thought it would be best to optimize the site so it could be viewed properly at that resolution too.

Since the left & right frames are fixed, it is impossible to scroll them to see all the items on the menus when in 800x600, and I may want to add more items to them in the future anyway, so having scrollable frames in 1024x768 resolution would be an advantage too.

My problem is this: I don't want to see scroll bars. They make the design look really ugly. Please don't tell me to re-code the site in PHP or anything like that, because I've basically just taught myself CSS when building this site, and don't want to start another language any time soon.

Is there a way of stopping the scrollbars being displayed using CSS or HTML? I realize that people without scroll wheels on their mice would be a bit stuck but come on, who hasn't got a scroll wheel mouse these days?

Any suggestions anyone? I'm stuck so far...

A demo test version of my site is at wwwdotchrislegg.giointernet.co.uk/afr/index.html if you want to have a look at it.

Sorry, I haven't made enough posts to be able to post a URL yet!

Try:
    overflow: hidden

in the div tag or the body depending on where you do not want the scroll bar.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean.

Do you mean in the index.html file, which contains all the frames, or in the specific menu HTML file?

I assume you mean the menu HTML file, but I thought that the frames controlled the scrolling properties.

I'm still stuck!

Well designed a site that I did not want the scrollbar on the left, yet I have a scrollbar in the div. I placed the code in the BODY CSS tag - so that worked.

Try placeing it in all 4 of your pages. And make sure scrollling is set to no.

Don't use frames, just put everything in one page.

CoreyBryant, thanks for trying to help me out but I still can't get it to work.

FleZ, that's not very helpful. I know that a lot of people frown upon frames, but I think they are useful, in that you can load one item (such as a menu) only once, and don't have to load it again every time a new link is clicked.

Frames save a lot of time for the end user, and reduce stress on servers.

Do you maybe have the URL or the source code so that we can look @ it? That might help us out.

Originally posted by IronMonkey
    CoreyBryant, thanks for trying to help me out but I still can't get it to work.

FleZ, that's not very helpful. I know that a lot of people frown upon frames, but I think they are useful, in that you can load one item (such as a menu) only once, and don't have to load it again every time a new link is clicked.

Frames save a lot of time for the end user, and reduce stress on servers.

You can do it with PHP as well

Say this is your nav.php file:

PHP Code:
    <table width="150" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
      <
    tr>
        <
    td><a href='index.php?=1'>Item 1</a></td>
      </
    tr>
      <
    tr>