Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It's a marketing edge. IMO most hosts will probably go this way.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

It's just a different way to oversell. It isn't a "what if" it's just a matter of when. At some point the accumulated rollover bandwidth will reach a point where the server couldn't possibly transfer the amount.

Originally posted by Watcher_TVI
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Jones
    Basically Rollover Bandwidth is automatic insurance for web users.
    Let me offer another possibility based on your example. When Bob starts getting 75 GBs worth of bandwidth usage in a month the resources on the server increase and you wake up to find your entire account suspended/deleted. But let's not stop there, how about if there are 10 Bob's on the server you're on and they all decide to start using their *rollover* bandwidth? What happens to the server's resources then?

Something like this certainly wouldn't give me the "warm and fuzzies. I would be much more concerned as to what would happen to the server I was on if everyone started using their rollover amounts. The server would eventually reach a point where there would be no possible way it could push all of the accumulated rollover amounts that it is responsible for without failure.
    You forgot the part about our datacenter most likely being struck by lightning during a catastrophic flood during an earthquake too. This stuff is way too risky, stay away!

-Brendan

Greetings:

What is the huge advantage to roll over bandwidth to the provider?

What is the business logic when it comes to the business owner ROI, profit, and loss?

While the thought of roll over bandwidth may give warm fuzzes to clients, what's the financial impact to the provider?

Thank you.

P.S. Has there been consideration that most providers pay for bandwidth monthly; and, they themselves have no roll over?

The payment for such bandwidth is the same without concern over what clients use unless they go over, or more MB per second has to be purchased et all. However, should enough % of roll over be used in a given month, the financial impact to the provider may be large enough to cause serious financial problems.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

And it might not be too. You could give us a tiny shred of credit here and assume we did at least a little bit of math and testing on this before we implemented it. We have a large enough customer base and enough data about how much bandwidth they use and have used in the past that it wouldnt be real hard for me to tell you exactly how much extra this would have cost us to do for the past year. We own our own datacenter for a reason, and buy bandwidth in large enough bulk that it makes this a very feasible and sustainable model.

-Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by HRBrendan
    We own our own datacenter for a reason,
    You don't own the space you occupy, you rent about 20% of someone else's building. The fiber that comes into that building was not installed by you and is shared by all of the tenants in the building. Just to clarify....

This rollover gimick really has nothing to do with the bandwidth from a user's perspective. The simple facts are that the rollover will eventually accumulate to a point where the machine is incapable of using it without maxing out on the resources. It's really no less deceiving than a cell phone company rolling over unused minutes. I am still trying to figure out how they roll over unlimited nights and week ends. I guess as soon as someone figures that out we'll see rollover bandwidth for unlimited bandwidth providers.....

Unlimited times two. Sounds good to me!

Well, in the defence of HR here...I would like for one of the staff to correct me if I am wrong, but as I have said before I don't think this deal rolls over from month to month to month. I am sure that this process has been well though out and it's not something a company would go 'gung-ho' into.

Sure it may be a marketing ploy, but when you think about it, how many cars and other companies (including hosting) have all these bells and whistles that only a fraction actually utilize?

t's really no less deceiving than a cell phone company rolling over unused minutes. I am still trying to figure out how they roll over unlimited nights and week ends.
    Well, not to be rude, but they'd roll over the minutes used during the daytime period which is not during weekends or the night.

You don't own the space you occupy, you rent about 20% of someone else's building. The fiber that comes into that building was not installed by you and is shared by all of the tenants in the building. Just to clarify....

This rollover gimick really has nothing to do with the bandwidth from a user's perspective. The simple facts are that the rollover will eventually accumulate to a point where the machine is incapable of using it without maxing out on the resources. It's really no less deceiving than a cell phone company rolling over unused minutes. I am still trying to figure out how they roll over unlimited nights and week ends. I guess as soon as someone figures that out we'll see rollover bandwidth for unlimited bandwidth providers.....
    The rollover bandwidth is month to month. Thus meaning, the highest someone could ever has is 140GB's of bandwidth for one month. Now if they don't push 70GB's the first month, I consider it highly unlikely that they're going to push 140 the next month.

How is this any better than offering unlimited disk space?
    It's all a scam as far as I'm concerned.
    You say that the highest someone could push is 140Gb but what if there are 40 clients all wanting to do it?

Originally posted by blue27
    How is this any better than offering unlimited disk space?
    It's all a scam as far as I'm concerned.
    You say that the highest someone could push is 140Gb but what if there are 40 clients all wanting to do it?
    What's the likely hood of that happening though? And if it does happen, that is host rockets problem. They're playing a game of russian roulette here. If they get the bad end of the deal, then let them deal with it.

They're not offering any unlimited resources, so I don't see how you can even compare it to unlimited disk space. Just because it's rolled over from the previous month doesn't mean it's unlimited.

In my opinion it's a great marketing idea, that I'm sure many other hosts will use in the times to come.

It's nearly the same thing as you saying you offer unparrelled support in your plans. Maybe I should bash you because I don't know if you can offer it, just like you don't think HostRocket can't offer it rollover bandwidth.

... and yes I did just edit my post ...

Hosts get trashed here all the time for offering unlimited plans or overselling. They are basing their business plan on exactly that. "What's the likely hood of that happening"
    I compare it because it is false economics either way and it is a sleezy way of bringing in clients because you can't back up your claims in the worst case scenario.

Nearly the same as us offering Unparalleled Support?

I guess there is really no point in arguing here if you really believe that.

See Ya.

Exactly inogenius, I think many miss that point. It's just like overselling. If it's properly thought out and monitored, you're not going to have a problem. The odds of sites all pulling very low transfer one month and very high the next month are low.

The thing is, they can offer it for the most part and then move someone if they must. Some seem to look over the fact that not everyone on a given server will use every single resource. The odds are much higher than someone on an unlimited account in my opinion.

Originally posted by CrazyTech
    Exactly inogenius, I think many miss that point. It's just like overselling. If it's properly thought out and monitored, you're not going to have a problem. The odds of sites all pulling very low transfer one month and very high the next month are low.

I agree it's one marketing good marketing tactic, and I guess we'll just see if it works or not.
    They've been offering it for nearly 2 months now. I haven't seen any complaints about them here for quite a while.

2 months simply isn't enough time to evaluate yet. It needs to be a good year in all honesty, and even longer would be better IMHO.

You and the guys who own the building we're in must be real tight, right bud? You pick this up in one of your regular chats with our landlord? FYI (just so you can stop making an *** of yourself by spitting out bs facts) there is plenty of fiber coming into our datacenter that was installed by us and used only by us.

It certainly doesnt bother any of us here at HR that 9mbit of the OC-12 time warner loop is used by another company, but apparently that really gets under your skin. Are you a shared hosting customer of ours and I just missed it? Maybe you have a dedicated server and I just overlooked it, and thats why the inner workings of what goes on here at HR are so important to you. Either way, if you would like to know the situation instead of just making crap up, why don't you give us a call and find out for real?

If the whole idea of how this works is that confusing to you, please feel free to give us a call anytime 8am to 5pm m-f. anyone who works here could explain it to you in laymans terms.

-Brendan

All the semantics aside of owning buildings etc, this will work for HR because they have fast access to a huge pool of resources. Be they servers, bandwidth etc. They run their own facility and it's not like they're at the mercy of a ded server supplier.

We're yet to see any HR users post a complaint about HR's roll-over bandwidth. If HR can't honor their roll-over bw, then you'd surely be hearing the complaints from their clients here on wht.

It only seems to be HR's competitors who are complaining.

It certainly doesnt bother any of us here at HR that 9mbit of the OC-12 time warner loop is used by another company, but apparently that really gets under your skin.
    No that really doesn't bother me in the least. What bothers me are companies that actively practice deception. Like showing pictures of a building and making statements that imply the building is their datacenter when the building isn't owned by them. Or by having a special sale that ends on a certain day that is always extended one more day by a script. You know, things like that, the same things that get discussed here at WHT time and time again and are generally considered deceptive practices. However all of this isn't really relevant to this thread so I'll drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    We're yet to see any HR users post a complaint about HR's roll-over bandwidth. If HR can't honor their roll-over bw, then you'd surely be hearing the complaints from their clients here on wht.
    Since it's a new offering we'll have to wait and see. I would think if it backfires we'll just see some more of those "My account was suspended for using too many resources" threads that we saw a while back. Maybe they really can oversell like that and make it work, time is the only one that will be able to tell for sure...

As was pointed out by several people in this thread already rollover bandwidth is just another way to take overselling to new limits. If overselling works for you then I'm sure rollover bandwidth will too. As for the competitor comment, we operate in a very different market than hostrocket does. I certainly don't consider them my competition and I highly doubt they consider me a competitor either...

that is a very brilliant concept, that i have often thought about, but have never come across.

Does anybody know of a dedicated / colo provider who can offer this kind of plan?

I doubt dedicated/colo providers would offer that.

Originally posted by ub3r
    . . . Does anybody know of a dedicated / colo provider who can offer this kind of plan?
    I don't think you'd find such a supplier as brave as that for colo/ded servers.

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    They'd have to be wearing their "yams" on their shirt sleeves to have the guts to offer it for ded/colo

As for the HR offer, give it time, it will prove fruitful, or not, simple as that. 2 month's is a mere drop in the ocean for a move like this.

I was under the impression that no more than 60GB could be used by a customer, during any one month, is that not the case?
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    go to hostrocket.com and sudgest it to them, they might even make an official press release

For all cpanel users, maybe go to http://support.cpanel.net/index.cgi?feature=1

Make it a suggestion
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Originally posted by ub3r
    that is a very brilliant concept, that i have often thought about, but have never come across.

Does anybody know of a dedicated / colo provider who can offer this kind of plan?
    Aveas.com offers colo with rollover bandwidth. The difference being that they don't oversell their bandwidth (ie: you buy a block of bandwidth at X dollars and if you don't use it one month, it goes toward future months). They are very straightforward about it:
    At the end of each monthly billing period, unused bandwidth is applied to your rollover bandwidth balance, in 1 gigabyte (GB) increments. In a month where you exceed your bandwidth service level, your rollover bandwidth balance is depleted before you incur bandwidth overage.

There is no limit to the amount of rollover bandwidth you can accrue and your rollover bandwidth balance never expires.
    I think in this kind of setting it could work quite well. In a shared setting, or in an oversold dedicated setting like managed.com, I could see it potentially becoming a disaster.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast