hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Rollover Bandwidth --

Forum Jump

Rollover Bandwidth --

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2003, 08:54 PM
Temporarily Suspended

Rollover Bandwidth --

I was browsing and came across Hostrocket's site (not dialup friendly) and noticed a new term that I have not seen offered elsewhere. They call it Rollover Bandwidth. An interesting concept though I wouldn't think it would be offered or to popular with most hosting providers?

What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2003, 08:57 PM
Retired Moderator

It's a very interesting and apetizing offer to anyone browsing their website just as it is with cell phone companies. I must say if they can do it and it works for them, then more power to them.

Old 12-10-2003, 08:59 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Does it apply to their colocation and dedicated server customers?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2003, 09:15 PM
Web Hosting Master

Nope just regular shared hosting.

-Brendan

Old 12-10-2003, 09:17 PM
Web Hosting Master

I offered this idea back in October 2001 in the psoft forums::

http://forum.psoft.net/showthread.php?threadid=2048

*Ahem* You have to be a private member of the forums to see that post. Many here are. Anyway, my idea was NOT well recieved. It's a shame too. So many hsphere hosts could have had a huge advantage. I'm sure Cpanel will get to that point one day soon too....maybe around year 3029

Old 12-10-2003, 09:20 PM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
I'm sure Cpanel will get to that point one day soon too....maybe around year 3029
I'm not so sure, with the rate that cPanel seems to turn out new versions, I think we can expect a version by no later than the year 2010. On a more serious note, I think really it would be a great idea to implement that some companies could use. It definitely will attract those that have high transfer websites.

Old 12-10-2003, 09:38 PM
Web Hosting Master

Your business plan would certainly have to be solid if you allow a full transfer of unused bandwidth. If not, you'll fall into debt very quickly. Sometimes, hosts anticipate that customers will not use all of their bandwidth and then overfll the servers.

On the other hand, this could encourage NOT-overselling.

:: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

Old 12-10-2003, 09:44 PM
Disabled

It would be virtually impossible to offer without serious overselling.
Lets say you sell 100 5gb accounts on a 700gb server.
The law of averages would indicate that month two you would have about 98 clients who roll over 3-4gb of space into the next month.
Now you would need to be able to offer 800gb minimum. It would snowball from there.
You would either have to only sell a few accounts per server or oversell massively.

Old 12-10-2003, 09:55 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by cybexhost
Your business plan would certainly have to be solid if you allow a full transfer of unused bandwidth. If not, you'll fall into debt very quickly. Sometimes, hosts anticipate that customers will not use all of their bandwidth and then overfll the servers.

On the other hand, this could encourage NOT-overselling.
crap im screwed!

Old 12-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Web Hosting Master

The interesting thing, is back when Cingular started doing it, I thought to myself...."that would be GREAT for hosting!" However, since I couldnt do it yet, I wrote the idea up in a letter, and mailed it to myself....which still sits on my desk sealed and secure

Old 12-10-2003, 10:04 PM
Disabled

anyways, who would use that much of bandwidth for hosting, I dont find this option very useful

Old 12-10-2003, 10:36 PM
Web Hosting Master

Well, you wouldnt roll it over for an entire year like Cingular does. However, let's say the following::

Cust A is allowed 50 gigs.
Uses 40 in March....
Now has 50+10 for April.
In April he uses only 30 gigs.
The 10 left over does NOT rollover to May to make 80 gigs.

Only the 20 gigs from April rolls over to May...not 30.

Old 12-10-2003, 10:49 PM
Retired Moderator

That's the way that I believe it works for HR (please correct me if I am wrong).

Quote:
As an example, your hosting plan entitles you to 50GB of bandwidth each and every month, but you only used 40GB of that in February. HostRocket will take the unused 10GB and roll it over to the next month, so in March, you can use a total of 60GB without being charged for overages.
Notice that it says nothing about that transfer rolling over to April. It comes down to, if the customer had that much transfer to roll over in the first months (especially large amounts) then why all of a sudden would he use it all the second month? Odds are he won't.

Old 12-10-2003, 10:57 PM
Build It Better!

Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyTech
That's the way that I believe it works for HR (please correct me if I am wrong).

Notice that it says nothing about that transfer rolling over to April. It comes down to, if the customer had that much transfer to roll over in the first months (especially large amounts) then why all of a sudden would he use it all the second month? Odds are he won't.
You're right he probably wouldn't use it all the next month. However, if he did what do you think would happen to the amount of server resources he would use? Then what do you think would happen next?

Old 12-10-2003, 10:59 PM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
You're right he probably wouldn't use it all the next month. However, if he did what do you think would happen to the amount of server resources he would use? Then what do you think would happen next?
We all know quite well what would happen. It's a calculated risk, but from the way I view it, the chances are in HR's favor that no one will ever use that much. With the sites that do use near that amount, an increase of 10 GB won't hurt all that much if it is used. It's just like overselling, personally I wouldn't take the risk, but it can be done.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
AT&T Bandwidth Sponsorship Goes Against Net Neutrality: Experts Web Hosting News 2014-01-08 13:28:23
Liquid Web Updates Mobile Management Interface with Bill Payment Feature Web Hosting News 2013-05-23 14:56:25
Rackspace Hosting Drops Price of Cloud Bandwidth and CDN by 33 Percent Web Hosting News 2013-02-22 16:38:18
PlusServer Launches Unmetered.com Hosting Service for Streaming, Download Web Hosting News 2013-01-10 09:11:41
Web Host AYKsolutions Launches Unmetered Linux VPS Hosting at Chicago Data Center Web Hosting News 2013-01-07 16:23:08