Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Other then the simular price, there's no comparison between LP and the other one.

Originally posted by Maximiliam
    I would rather not want to be compared to someone or something that does not share that thought.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Now Powweb has taken away remote access to their SQL servers at a moments notice, BEFORE implementing a resolution for users to get to their databases. Sure, you can still get to it from scripts on your site, but how many 'everyday' users are going to be able to work on their databases in such fashion?

And in even funnier news, check out this recent thread:
    http://forum.powweb.com/showthread.php?threadid=29887

The admins royally screwed up their IP address's and a loyal customer figured it out. He was nice enough to point out the problems and correctly guessed that their mail servers would suffer as a result - which they did.

What does he get in return? The admin "sgeine" trying to make him look silly and denying it! The customer came back and completely proved him wrong yet again. Looking completely foolish, "Andrew" came in and deleted the responses and then thanked the customer for his help. And you wonder why the admins couldn't fix a flat tire?

Here's the text from the customer that they deleted:

Written by Sgeine:
    "No, your original post was a FULL 24 HOURS (almost to the minute) before anything was done to the mail servers...since you hate being right so much i'm glad we're able to get you back in that wrongness place that may be more comfortable =)"

Reply from customer:
    Is this really necessary?

My initial post did not say anything about the mail servers, but pointed out that the announcement that the nameservers had been serving the new IPs for two months was clearly false, and there's lots of evidence for that - see my numerous posts pointing out where ns2 was reporting old IPs as a cause for people not being able to get at their sites. It took some two weeks of complaints before you finally fixed that.

My SECOND post, which did mention the mail servers, was posted after the servers were changed to identify themselves with the new IP, even though you insisted afterwards it hadn't happened. But if you had not made changes, I would not have noticed the inconsistency in the mail headers and SpamCop would not have blacklisted the servers.

In that second post I predicted that the PowWeb mail servers would end up on the SpamCop blocklist and I was indeed right, as it happened a few hours later.

I do not understand why something so seemingly obvious as getting the nameserves to advertise the correct IPs was a consistent problem for weeks. It's not as if you hadn't been alerted to the problem.

So, if we're tabulating wrongness:

1. It was wrong for PowWeb to not fix the problem with ns2 advertising old IPs for weeks after the server IPs were changed.

2. It was wrong for PowWeb to claim that "the old IPs have not been in our dns tables [for two months]" when in fact they had been in the dns tables, for the web servers, as recently as a couple of days ago. And, at the time of that post, the mail servers were still using the old IPs.)

3. It was wrong for PowWeb to reconfigure the mail servers to use the new IPs without simultaneously updating the DNS servers accordingly.

4. It was wrong to claim that the mail servers had not been changed when there was clear evidence that they had.

5. And I think it's also wrong to belittle a customer who has been trying to help you (and who has also helped other customers identify the source of the problems they were having.)

I like PowWeb - really. But it's times like this that I have to really wonder what's going on out there.

Oh - and does anyone read e-mail sent to postmaster@sgeine.net on a timely basis? If someone had, they would have seen the first evidence of the mail server problem. You may want to register an explicit abuse address for the domain.

Especially when the loyal customer is a Mod. So far he's the only mod there I noticed that questioned the admin on what's happening with the IP mess.

One of my clients, the only one still hosted on PW, now has had some downtime due to that mess. She does not read their mboard much, but if her site is not showing, she complains to me, and I usually check out the PW mboard to see if any problems with her server has been posted. Although I have her a list of a few solid hosts, she refuses to move her site since it's been on PW forever and she hoping the **** will stop hitting the fan.

Originally posted by jimnyc
    The admins royally screwed up their IP address's and a loyal customer figured it out. He was nice enough to point out the problems and correctly guessed that their mail servers would suffer as a result - which they did.
    73's, Kim

I had a client with Powweb and one with Interland.. both of which were complete nightmares. Both of those clients did what you said yours does... when something goes wrong.. they came to me.

Finally, I gave them a choice... they move to someone else that I knew would be a good host or contacted the hosting companies directly. It was a hard pill for both of them to swallow. The first time something went wrong they tried to email me and guilt me into helping.

They have to understand that don't make money off the accounts and I can't afford to be babysitting someone elses server.

Hehe...... Max, I did see a couple of customer complaints on the old WebHostingRatings.com. And true to form, you did respond to them and offered assistance.

I don't actually know of any outstanding (unanswered) complaints against Lunarpages. That is why I've already given your company some of my money to host a website. And why I'm about to give more of my money to your company to host at least two more of my websites.

How's that for ya ??

Samuel, you're clearly at least a little on the trollish side here. This inexperienced youngin' has been running bulletin boards (as they were known in the '80s) and message boards (Internet) for about one & one-half decades.

This inexperienced youngin' has already offered help to not one, but two people with serious concerns here. I didn't just spew forth a few inane sentence fragments either. I'm referring to sound advice from years of education and experience.

>> "You get what you pay for, period. ....it IS always true"

While that can certainly be considered a 'rule of thumb'. It is just as certainly not some factual scientific observation that's carved into stone.

Even us youngin's know that.

But I'll give you a chance to prove me wrong, right here in front of everyone. And if you do, I'd be only too happy to offer forth a public apology to yourself..........

Lunarpages and PowWeb charge virtually identical fees for virtually identical services. Yet many PowWeb customers currently feel that PowWeb's service isn't worth the money that they charge. Whereas Lunarpages customers are far more pleased and satisfied with their service.

So how, oh aged and wise one, can you justify your ironclad statement under these circumstances ??

... then perhaps you should get a reseller account from a reputable provider and *be* responsible for the accounts? just a suggestion =]

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

Don't even get me started with Interland and the company they bought out, ICOM. My issues with them does not even compare to PW. Too many tickets at Interland were ignored or never aknowledged. Their support is horible. At least PW has a forum.

Originally posted by dcmginc
    I had a client with Powweb and one with Interland.. both of which were complete nightmares. Both of those clients did what you said yours does... when something goes wrong.. they came to me.
    Speaking of reseller stuff, if I had enough clients to justify it, I probably would took advantage of a reseller programme such as those at HostNexus or AussieHosts.
    73's, Kim

Yes, but is a supposedly corrupt forum really that much better. Might as well just address the issues and move them out of the way.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

I just took a huge (very well known) client from Interland do to these same errors. The site received 20,000 visits today and is growing by 5000 per day, they just couldn't risk the chance of being down.

I guess this is all just a waste product of too much success.

Well, this discussion turned out well. I figure if even 2 people read this thread and decide not to go with powweb then karmically (not economically) my life and the universe will be back on order.

I promised powweb I would give them over $200 if they gave me 99.7% uptime. I kept my end of the bargain. They gave it to me alright. It's just too bad I had to bend over to take it.

It's been fun all, but I think this thread is coming to an end. It's nice to finally have a place to get all the BS I have been putting up with at powweb for the last 10 months off my chest.

* tbonekkt, please report to the chopping block

Registered with powweb Dec 2002 and has 2,697 posts

His website link from powweb http://www.tbonekkt.com/

*note*
    One of his first posts on 04-02-03
    Quote: Does anyone have a good CGI whois script?
    http://forum.powweb.com/showthread.p...threadid=18739
    *end note*

Anyway, any opinions on this whois?
    PHP Code:
    Registrant:
    tom tbonekkt
    4645 52ND ST APT N5
    Lubbock
    Texas 79414
    United States

Registered through
    GoDaddy.com
    Domain Name
    TBONEKKT.COM
    Created on
    05-Dec-03
    Expires on
    05-Dec-04
    Last Updated on
    05-Dec-03 
    He registered the domain name last friday for one year through GoDaddy.com. If you look back in this forum you will see that my post on alphadesks crappy website was on 12-04-2003 10:34 PM.

If you read this page http://www.powweb.com/webhosting.html

Powweb will give you a free domain name for a year through OpenSRS? So why didn't he go with powwebs OpenSRS? I wasn't aware you had a choice. So if there wasn't a choice of companies for the free year that means he chose to pay rather than get powwebs for free.

I don't know about anybody else but this raised a few questions with me?

1) What was his site before? Anybody know? Was it just a bunch of BS like Alphadesks so he was told to take it down by powweb before too many people saw it?

2) Is it just me or is this site just one HUGE advertisement for powweb?

3) If you read back to some of my earlier posts. I said something like, "powweb moderator sites look thrown together in 10 minutes." There's no real content or anything. Well, it looks like this guy did this site in a little over 10 minutes. The only semi-complicated thing would be the whois lookup. But he has probably had one of those scripts handy since April when he first went looking for them.

4) Why pay $100 to through up a content free website in the firstplace? If he has 8 other websites you think he would have time to really make a decent website before he had to shell out the $100 to get it hosted. Also, if he has 8 other websites through powweb why is he choosing to show-off only his newest one. One with no content? I'm start calling them tunaweb.

Anyway, i'll stop there, just beating a dead horse anyway. Any thoughts on the whole subject?

Re: tbonekkt, please report to the chopping block

I noticed Alphadesk's site is not accessible anymore. I pops up a log-on screen when you hit his domain. I was going to check the script for the little clock thingy he had on it.

Originally posted by twist
    1) What was his site before? Anybody know? Was it just a bunch of BS like Alphadesks so he was told to take it down by powweb before too many people saw it?
    73's, Kim

If any of these powweb mods are good at making websites how come they won't show their real websites, if they even have them.

One of the first questions they ask a member when he has a problem is, what is your website address. So they can click on it and say the famous words, "loads fine for me."

Really only 2 possibilities. They can't make websites or they are hiding their real websites. Maybe they know the stuff there feeding the people is BS and they don't want their real sites getting DoS'ed. When I finally do finish my website and am far away from powweb i'm going to be paying money to advertise and generate visiters. Their hiding there real websites from potential visitors.

P.S.
    tbonekkt probably just bought a domain name instead of a hosting account. That is probably why he went through GoDaddy. Doen't make any of the rest less fishy though.

I own a large site bcvoice.com and we were going to leave our hosting provider and switch to powweb. I called them when we planned to switch, told them how many users we had on our phpnuke site, how much traffic we got and asked if they could handle such a site and shared hosting. I got the site moved over, no problems for the first month or so. Then we got raped by mysql limits.

The site would load for maybe 5 uesrs then their "limits" would cut off all mysql access for one hour till the limits are reset. Due to nuke running of mysql this would shut our whole site down. No good for us, I called may times, was told that nuke was a hog on mysql and i needed to get better software.

What really pissed me off was when I left them I asked for them to simply dump my database into a file I could download. Since phpmyadmin could not get a 100meg backup to me I had no other way. They wouldnt do it for me, so I ended up doing a dump from a linux box I had at work.

Pow web might work fine for small small sites, but if your site relies on mysql stay the hell away from powweb. I personaly think they have no clue WTF they are doing with mysql.

Also I noticed today that they dont allow remote mysql access anymore. I guess your screwed if you want a backup of your DB thats larger than their limit of a few megs through phpmyadmin.

45 support calls in 3 months.......maybe they got sick of hearing from you

Angry ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!

Read this,

http://forum.powweb.com/showthread.p...threadid=30188

Well this sure as hell can't count as downtime, this is "SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE."

Check out what time it was posted 12-11-03 03:17 PM.

*Powweb admins talking* Oh SH*T the server just caught fire. I'm going to schedule the next few minutes to putting out the fire. I'll schedule the next day to install another server. Thank god this fire won't cause any downtime

Just in case they delete the thread, here is what it said,
    PHP Code:
    ******SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE THURSDAY 12/11/2003 8pm PDT******

Date12/11/2003
    Maintenance Window
    8:00pm to 10:00pm PDT
    Services Affected
    wwwmailmysql

DESCRIPTION
    Beginning at 8
    :00pm PDT all servers will be taken offline on a rotational basis for scheduled maintenanceCustomers may experience connectivity issues to wwwmail, and mysql as servers are taken offline for maintenance and rebootedMaintenance on each server should last a maximum of 15 minutes

My friend has a site at Powweb and he complains all the time about is the downtime and his scripts not working....he is about to move off soon and cancel account. He now calls that hosting company powdump. Many times I visit my friend's site and it doesn't pull up.

Btw........I have noticed there is no response from anyone at the powdump on this forum.
    Laura

Hooked on art and the internet forums!

I used PowDump a long time ago the servers were not to bad back then but I called for something, I don’t even remember what, and was made to feel quite stupid by a PowDump employee.

I now have my own web hosting company and am doing very well. I now if we cant offer good support then we should be in a different line of work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123