hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : WHT Announcements, Feedback and Questions : New forum for outages

Forum Jump

New forum for outages

Reply Post New Thread In WHT Announcements, Feedback and Questions Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2001, 10:04 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

New forum for outages

Suggestion: Create a new forum to allow customers to discuss ongoing outages or other issues.

Suggested name "Outage reports and connectivity testing".

Personally, I like to network with other customers during an outage -- as I expect the host already knows about it (they better) and calling them just makes them more busy during a critical time.

I recently posted a minor outage note on the Dedicated/Co-location forum and got all kinds of attacks from people because the host itself wasn't down and it was thier upstream.

To me, this isn't about slamming a host - it is about knowing the true network quality and getting confirmation (from other customers) about outages.

I feel that if we start a new forum, it will remove the hostility factor -- as the intention of the posts can be more clear and it not be percieved as attack on a provider. People can have a place to discuss outages without it being intermixed with the requests for recommendations on hosts.

To me, a host being unreachable is worthy of discussion - I don't really care the fault, as my customers (web site users) don't care the fault... and often the problems are difficult to solve, so working together has advantages (hence using the forum here).

Just a suggestion, take it or leave it. I'm not trying to create a problem here, I'm trying to solve one.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2001, 10:23 PM
Retired Moderator

I'm not sure about the exact mechanics but I like the general idea. Visitors often come here looking for information on specific hosts and it would assist them if they could find that information through searching a particular forum.

On the other hand, this is the sort of thing that MattF might want to have as part of his service so I would understand if he decided not to add such a forum but instead added "report host outage" next to "add host review".

Old 09-17-2001, 01:06 AM
Closed

But even if Matt did want to do that, surely it could still be discussed in a forum, couldn't it?

It sounds like a reasonable idea to me. Although there mightn't be enough demand for a new forum.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2001, 04:09 PM
iNET Senior Community Advisor

Seems like there are a lot of posts in this vain.
A separate forum would be well supported.

Old 09-19-2001, 09:28 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Hmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence
It sounds like a reasonable idea to me. Although there mightn't be enough demand for a new forum.
That might depend on the hosts in question, some seem to be pretty bad from complaints I've seen in the past.

Old 09-20-2001, 12:11 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Smile Good idea!

I think it's a great idea. I recently reported an outage with a dedicated provider... it would be good if we all had a central point in which to go when such a situation arises and discuss and share information with other customers.

I've noticed people have been spraying these reports around several different forums so it's not immediately noticable if someone has posted a report already.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
More Downtime for HostGator and BlueHost Customers as Router Issues Plague Utah Data Center Web Hosting News 2014-04-16 15:46:56
ENISA Reports 79 Major Telecom Outages in 2012 Web Hosting News 2013-08-20 15:43:00
Go Daddy EU Hosting Environment Hit by DDoS Attack Web Hosting News 2013-03-15 17:31:58
Average Public Cloud Outage Downtime Nears 8 Hours: RightScale Infographic Blog 2013-02-28 13:09:16
Technology Performance Monitoring Firm Compuware Launches Free Outage Analyzer Service Web Hosting News 2012-10-12 15:38:07