Thread: Local.....

Local.....

It seems everyone likes going with local customers, but it seems that people want a site, but don't want anything to do with it. I personally don't design a lot of sites....took me a week just for mine....but I use H-Sphere so my clients have the Site Studio...

for example, a local catering company around here that I go to every now and then. I offered hosting to them and they were very interested but really didn't even want to deal with it. Eventually I just ended up filling out SiteStudio for them....which with some of the templates didn't look to bad, but I don't want to be doing this forever.....

any suggestions?

We have done a Accounting Site, and a Graphic Design Site. The Design site is not high maintenence, but we are still working on getting it up.

For the accounting site, we added a News Script, and a Calander/Scheduler, and the accountant is very pleased.
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

We have a couple of designers that we use that can put together quick update friendly designs. Then we can make a small profit from the designs.

We also offer to any customer who purchases a design a monthly update service. We will update images, pricing, news, and other basic items for a price per month.

You just need to be sure to work out a very clear deal on something like that, or you will be doing daily updates for hardly any money.
    Rob
    Founder and former owner of SRLnet. Sold in 2006

Re: Local.....

Originally posted by MEGASTEVER
    It seems everyone likes going with local customers
    I think it's trend more for newer businesses, or older ones that make a concious decision. Personally, we'll never targeted our local community - there's just no money in it from our research.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Some people make a fine living doing local and regional services. The difference is in success stories. If you want to break out on a national or international level, you generally will need a *lot* of advertising, a very solid business plan and a lot of luck. Not everyone is going to be the next Pair, Interland, Verio or even httpME no matter what you do.

If you want to be a local provider and that's it, more power to you. You can still get that nice house on the hill.

I personally put most my time and money locally because that is where people know me. I also have a decent client base outside my area, but that has never been my main focus when it comes to attracting clients. That is not to say that it won't ever be. As we expand, there are fewer and fewer clients to get because we're aquiring them and there is a finite amount of customers to get. When things get slow, I make moves elsewhere.

Will there be a time when I go truly global? Maybe someday, but honestly I have no desire to be a huge company at this time. My thinking in this business has always been act local, but think global. Or maybe it was act global, but think local. One of the two.

Different events in my life may change that. I'm single, the money I make is very good and lets me live a comfortable life and have what I want. However, I may have a family soon. If that happens then I think I would want to expand my business much further than I have or perhaps re-focus it to draw a better income. I don't think it would be going on a general national campaign though. Let's just say that there are plenty of local markets other than your own local market.
    www.square-network.com www.squarenetwork.com
    Now available in regular and dehyphenated.
    May 2003 Member of the Month
    Useless Community Liason Ever Since.

Trickle down effect.

For us and why we haven't had the need to expand heavily beyond our region is that when we gain a customer we then market all our other services. It's not uncommon to gain a hosting customer and end up maintaining their network, be their ISP, and sometimes design their website.

If all you offer is hosting how about offering a "site-in-a-box" type of package if you don't want to partner with a design firm. Some of us that lean towards the network side of the business can barely write our names legibly much less design a site. However offering a 5-page site based off of templates may be an option. Test the pricing and play with the marketing.

"You know your business needs to be on the net but you don't have the time. Let X-company have a 5 page site up for you in an hour for $x.xx"

Naturally there are other details to work out like aquiring their logo's, content, etc.... and maybe a maintenace agreement but you've now added one more revenue stream to bolster the bottom line. They'll communicate a thank you to you and you'll add "Oh by the way, did you know we do this and this and this?"

As SRLHosting stated "be clear on the details" and be sure to get anything in writing.
    "Your paycheck is calling!"
    http://www.interlinkadvantage.com