View Poll Results: Pay to post into the "Web Hosting Offers" forum

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

56 60.87%
  • No

36 39.13%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Well it's not complicated, it will work. Anyway do what you want this was my idea of the day
    Charles Beliveau | NymixWeb.com
    Proven success since 2001!
      0 Not allowed!

If payment was needed to post, it better be a high enough sum otherwise it'd defeat the purpose.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by net-trend
    If payment was needed to post, it better be a high enough sum otherwise it'd defeat the purpose.

And if we go the paid route.. Thats what we have to find.. The area where its not to expensive for the little guys to advertise.. And not so cheap so any tom, nick, dick, or harry who are trying to scam people will normally afford it...
      0 Not allowed!

Who's nick?
      0 Not allowed!

If I were going to pay for posting in the Offers forum, I would like to have some assurance that my ad won't be scrolled off in a couple of days as it is now.

What I suggest is selling sticky's at a reasonable price and availability. Then let the rest of the hosts continue to post for free. The free listings will scroll off to the back of the system quickly enough but those who pay will get listed on the first page.
    Mark Oberg
    Techweenies.com

(No longer affiliated with Uneedawebsite.com)
      0 Not allowed!

I think Bob's one-off fee is a good idea, it does give the smaller hosts the opportunity to advertise (if they so wish), as well as "puts off" anyone that isn't willing to spend any money to grow their business. Honestly, if someone can't afford to pay $25 for a "classified" ad, that will potentially get exposure to hundreds of thousands of people... well than they shouldn't be in business.
      0 Not allowed!

I havent read all of the rest of the posts ... but..

Guys - right now everyone, his mother, and his cat are frickin posting offers so yeah, your offer is going to get scrolled off....

If you are REQUIRED to pay to post... how many offers do you think there will be?

I can guarantee there will be 50% LESS offers than there are now... There arnt many people who were down there who even made $20-$30 profit in a year... so......
      0 Not allowed!

And by what statistical method did you come to 50% less? ... but seriously, of course it will die down, probably considerably higher than 50%. Just goes back to the good old saying: "Quality is always better than quantity".
      0 Not allowed!

Cause if there arnt I start banning till there is
      0 Not allowed!

I like Bob's idea very much and I also favor Yupapa's too regarding a limit. I can actually point out a current model that is a paid-member forum and from my understanding, business men and women there are serious about what they do.

http://www.dnforums.com/register.php?action=signup

That's just an example, I am in no way affiliated with DNForums, or even a member.
    Get it at work!
    LT in the Midday, 10a-3p
    Click here
      0 Not allowed!

While I can see the merit in the suggestion I also feel that it was the fact posting was free that allowed a lot of hosts to get started.

If it had been paid only from 2 to 3 years ago how many hosts who have generated and developed their business pretty well solely from this forum would have been able to get started and to grow to the size they are now?
    WHM/CPanel, Sub Reseller, Fantastico, Reseller Plan Experts
    Hosting Experience since 1998
    - because we seriously care !
    Your Local Host
      0 Not allowed!

If they cant pay or arnt willing to pay to gain customers, they arnt supposed to be in business.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Mrdredd
    If they cant pay or arnt willing to pay to gain customers, they arnt supposed to be in business.
    It takes money to get money. If someone can't afford something less than $100 to build their business, what does that say about the future of that company?
    Get it at work!
    LT in the Midday, 10a-3p
    Click here
      0 Not allowed!

I skimmed the one thread and didn't read much of this one but that one was closed and I wanted to say a few *minor* yet logical and oibvious things...

1) If you're going to leave because of this, grow up, you're not worth anything to the community.
    2) New companies will have a hard time? Maybe kids. Legit companies can afford advertising, so give me a break ....

... Now, I don't see the point about crying about it. Can you not come up with one plan to put in the offers? I mean, all that's going to happen is the next 14 year old is going to take your offer, times the features by 2, and subtract 1/2 the total price of yours and post it as his ... big deal.

In closing, I think Kyle summed it also with this:

"It takes money to get money. If someone can't afford something less than $100 to build their business, what does that say about the future of that company?"

.... thanks for your time.

Have a good day.
    What does one host say to the other? "(HostA) Want to go see a movie?" "(HostB) Sure, can your parents drive?"

I'm premium, and no, I did not have to pay $6 a month to figure that out.
      0 Not allowed!

Smile

I don't understand the point of doing this. By charging hosts to post their offers @ the ads forum, you want to have your post @ the offer forum stays longer OR you want eliminate kiddy / bad hosts to post non-sense ads?
      0 Not allowed!

the latter
      0 Not allowed!

Mostly eliminate anyone not serious enough to actually spend money on advertising.
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com
      0 Not allowed!

Smile

They could still pay and offer those $1 per year deals can they?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by YUPAPA
    They could still pay and offer those $1 per year deals can they?

Most people who offer $1/year don't ever even make a profit.. So lets just guess that they are just taking their money.. They get 15 sales.. Thats really good ROI for a single ad that might cost $20.. But they still loose $5 bucks
      0 Not allowed!

I understand the argument about spending money to make money - I mean hell that's what business is, but we have built a very successful and growing business after starting with nothing and with no budget for advertising

Simply because I didn't have the money to advertise when I started doesn't mean I was a kiddie (quite the opposite actually lol) or a dodgy host

There aren't many of the bigger hosts around I don't think who started with a business plan, financing, budgets etc. I know we didn't

They started with an idea and a desire to succeed and built slowly or quickly (if they advertised here heavily for nothing possibly)

All I am saying is simply because someone doesn't have the money to pay for advertising doesn't make them no good

I do see the need though to stop serious posts offering reputable services being drowned under ads for rubbish services at ridiculous prices

How about 2 offer and request sections ?

One for say reseller plans under $X per month and shared hosting under $Y per month (call it budget or low cost hosting) and one for those above

I mean if you go to any hosting directory, Price is the first criteria the offer you when doing a search and they all have a "budget" category you can elect to put yourself in if you wish
    WHM/CPanel, Sub Reseller, Fantastico, Reseller Plan Experts
    Hosting Experience since 1998
    - because we seriously care !
    Your Local Host
      0 Not allowed!

One thing though, this might affect WHT as a whole and might see forum participation drop.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.
      0 Not allowed!

It doesn't make someone "no good" because they can't afford to advertise... it makes them a little on the nutty side for starting a business with no equity. Something could happen, that could cost money, and if a business can't afford to even get its name out, how can it possibly afford to fix problems and/or pay for staff when something happens in their personal lives?

Quote Originally Posted by net-trend
    One thing though, this might affect WHT as a whole and might see forum participation drop.
    To be honest, I won't miss the people who leave over something as trivial as this. It means the community meant little to them, so in turn, they mean little to me. I somehow doubt we'll see any of the old-timers around here leave over this... especially considering most of us are the one's that want these types of changes.
      0 Not allowed!

I think the entire thread is funny.

Thanks for my turkey laugh.

On another note; make it paid wouldn't be to bad. But I would agree with purchasing credits and having each post cost a certain amount of credits in each section.
      0 Not allowed!

Agreed, JustinH.
    I suspect that the people who would leave over this are the kind of people who create more noise than actual valuable content and in turn cause other people to flee WHT.
    I am totally in favour of a one-time fee.
    http://www.voilaweb.com - the Social Internet Toolbox.
      0 Not allowed!

Also, just to throw in a comment -- what if there are more than 20 offers? Ones at the bottom, or on the next page, while paying the same, recieve less attention..
      0 Not allowed!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast