56 60.87%
  • No

36 39.13%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    The higher the better IMHO.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.
      0 Not allowed!

I wouldn't post down there even if it was $10 per offer. I doubt you would Matt and AussieBob too.

There would have to be a significant decrease in the amount of threads posted as it wouldn't do to pay and have your thread way down the list a few hours later or even off the page.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.
      0 Not allowed!

Just doing some more thinking on this . . . .

With the removal of the Request forum, the Hosting Offers forum is going to be used a LOT more now by folks looking for hosting. That makes it more attractive for hosts to pay to post an ad there, hence this aspect of feasibility is increased.

Win - win for the consumer and the supplier.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by NexDog
    . . .There would have to be a significant decrease in the amount of threads posted as it wouldn't do to pay and have your thread way down the list a few hours later or even off the page.
    Isn't that something that charging would affect?
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

NexDog, think about it. . . if everyone thought the same way, then the very few who were actually bold enough to pay would be able to enjoy substantial advertising for extended periods of time.
    Have you Floble'd today?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by NexDog
    I wouldn't post down there even if it was $10 per offer. I doubt you would Matt and AussieBob too.

I'd gladly pay $10 to $20 to post an ad down there. It's a more valuable forum, with the removal of the Request forum and the posting fee keeping away the kiddies not prepared to pay to advertise.
    There would have to be a significant decrease in the amount of threads posted as it wouldn't do to pay and have your thread way down the list a few hours later or even off the page.
    We'll see how it goes, if the powers that be choose this direction.
      0 Not allowed!

$20+ to post an advert should reduce the number of posts enough for it to be worth investing into.

With a price tag like this it would remove the $1 hosting offers aswell.
    Matt Wallis
      0 Not allowed!

15/4 , for charging so far. You could charge a rather high fee and limit the amount of offers allowed in the forum at one time.

i.e. so many days before your offer will scroll off (you could have a queue for adds or something, dunno if that's feasible)
      0 Not allowed!

Thinking about it....yes, I'm sure the Offers forum will be getting alot more traffic now and if it cost $20 per ad then there would be ALOT less people posting and those that do, will be quality hosts with sensible packages. If it worked out that way, I'm sure we would be a regular down there.
      0 Not allowed!

Why don't we just make WHT a paid membership community all together? That will absolutely get rid of all the bottom feeders and other low life scumbags idiots that don't fit into your perfect little clique...

I quit. You know I had a lot of respect fot this forum board until now. I even said I supported the decision to do away with the other forums that were generally considered to be detrimental to this community.

But when you get the "Leaders" of this board come out with a thread like this, I feel I should never have come here. I constantly feel degraded and inferior when I know I am not...

So, just like the other choices life hands out, I make this one of my own volition. You have convinced me that I do not belong.

But why would any of you care? You are established and have no need of the lower classes.... "Let them eat cake" is all I hear.

Someone delete my account, please? Say good bye to another weed...
      0 Not allowed!

This has been discussed at great length lately, and it seems that everyone agrees it's a great idea but the pricing model is still in question. I made a comment that regardless of what the cost is, even if was only $10, having to submit a credit card to pay for it is going to weed out a lot of trouble (for the potential clients) as it adds a huge amount of accountability to the offer. (compared to just pressing submit on a post). GeekVillage has a good system in place.

Gary
      0 Not allowed!

Bye.
      0 Not allowed!

Just alot of older members discussing how to make this forum better. We don't mean to belittle anyone. There is no clique and you are most welcome here.
      0 Not allowed!

NexDog, I believe he has made up his mind
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.
      0 Not allowed!

maybe Im a throw back , back to when Matt owned WHT but wouldnt it take something out of the community to make it paid for , and wouldnt it also make this place truly only for hosts who have alot of funds , the up and comming would get squashed . I prefer this place more open sourced and less microsoft-ish
    Dana aka Laci My Alter Ego
    Former WHT Moderator
      0 Not allowed!

Goodbye weed.

Originally posted by WhatWasThat
    Why don't we just make WHT a paid membership community all together? That will absolutely get rid of all the bottom feeders and other low life scumbags idiots that don't fit into your perfect little clique...

I quit. You know I had a lot of respect fot this forum board until now. I even said I supported the decision to do away with the other forums that were generally considered to be detrimental to this community.

But when you get the "Leaders" of this board come out with a thread like this, I feel I should never have come here. I constantly feel degraded and inferior when I know I am not...

So, just like the other choices life hands out, I make this one of my own volition. You have convinced me that I do not belong.

But why would any of you care? You are established and have no need of the lower classes.... "Let them eat cake" is all I hear.

You probably don't belong in any discussion forum, if you can't have an open and honest discussion without getting so offended by it. By his own volition, Bob started this thread. I can only assume that he wanted to hear what people thought, wanted to get the mood of the membership on this subject. That included him asking for your opinion. Why are you so offended that others have opinions different from yours? If a simple poll like this causes you to leave, then you will be leaving a lot of places during your lifetime. I am afraid I just don't get your anger in all this. I am certainly not offended that you voted the way you did. However, I am bothered that we can't have a discussion without people getting so offended and taking the votes of others so personally.
      0 Not allowed!

The thread starter is not a "leader" here, he is a regular member like yourself. He merely started a poll, which you are also free to do. You may or may not like the results of a poll you post also, but it is only a poll and nothing is set in cement
      0 Not allowed!

Aw come on. Aussie Bob will always be my "Leader".
      0 Not allowed!

I think we need to get more people to vote on this pole.
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.
      0 Not allowed!

maybe Im a throw back , back to when Matt owned WHT but wouldnt it take something out of the community to make it paid for , and wouldnt it also make this place truly only for hosts who have alot of funds , the up and comming would get squashed . I prefer this place more open sourced and less microsoft-ish
    I'd have to agree there. It seems the community has been taken out of WHT and turned more towards a business at this point. I understand how business works and money is needed, but I think it's getting to the point where some don't like the business WHT.
      0 Not allowed!

The owners havent done anything to turn it into a business. This thread wasnt started (or even contributed on?) by anyone with any power on WHT. People are getting upset over a DISCUSSION about an idea... If you dont like the idea then present your views as to why its a bad idea... no need to cry about it and then leave the forums.
    Matt Wallis
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by CrazyTech
    I'd have to agree there. It seems the community has been taken out of WHT and turned more towards a business at this point. I understand how business works and money is needed, but I think it's getting to the point where some don't like the business WHT.
    Yes and no.

The community has always been a business. Do you think Matt gave it away? He built something of market value.

Then Robert continued to build, rapidly expanding the membership. So, as it turned out, although I don't think planned, he ended up in the same business as Matt, that of building it and selling it.

Now, iNet is in a different business mode, that of operating sites profitably. Will their decisions appeal to all...obviously not. However, this is a much different board than in the early days. Much larger membership...more problems to address. And, any decisions they make, even if overwhelmingly supported by the members, will still have a large group of people unhappy with them. That is true regardless of how they manage their business.

It also strikes me as ironic that many of those (not you) who complain most about the business aspects are those who are certainly here for business reasons, whether they post ads or simply build public relations through their participation and signatures. After all, Web Hosting is a business.
      0 Not allowed!

The owners havent done anything to turn it into a business. This thread wasnt started (or even contributed on?) by anyone with any power on WHT. People are getting upset over a DISCUSSION about an idea... If you dont like the idea then present your views as to why its a bad idea... no need to cry about it and then leave the forums.
    I perfectly well aware of who started the post and his status as a member. I presented my views on the issue. Please don't tell me how to post, I am well of aware of how to. This is a DISCUSSION just as you said. The members have a right to say what they want to (so long as it doesn't violate the rules). If they don't agree with it, and want to leave, then so be it. I don't think saying the members are crying about it was called for in this situation. I really respect your posts Matt and I listen to every one of them, but let the discussion take place and don't put those down just because you may not agree with them.

Incognito, I see your point and it is a valid one. As I said, I understand there has to be some level of business with such a very large forum as this one. It just seems that everything is trying to be shifted to a forum that makes money for the owners. I think personally we should just shove away all of the Advertising Forums with the exceptions of the ones such as hiring a business or selling items such as templates and scripts. As this is just my viewpoint, I leave the decision to the mods/owners about what really happens. WHT is not my forum.

I understand about the signature thing as well. The only reason I kept my signature like that was when I used the Requests forum, I wouldn't have to place all of that information in every post I made. It saved much time and would save me from looking like I was copying and pasting. The business I gained from WHT (what very little I did) was just a positive benefit of coming here for me. I read the forums for about half a year before I even signed up. I've contributed fairly well to the forums, I think, and I will continue to do so because this is a great resource for anyone.
    Last edited by CrazyTech; 11-26-2003 at 11:28 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

. . . But when you get the "Leaders" of this board come out with a thread like this, I feel I should never have come here. I constantly feel degraded and inferior when I know I am not . . .
    I'm not a leader. I'm just a passenger on the good ship WHT.
      0 Not allowed!

I really respect your posts Matt and I listen to every one of them, but let the discussion take place and don't put those down just because you may not agree with them.
    I believe I told people to post and not leave the forums. I dont see where I tried to stop any discussion.
    Matt Wallis
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast