Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

56 60.87%
  • No

36 39.13%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Originally posted by blue27

There is nowhere in the rules that says WHT has to be a springboard for the little guy.
    No it was formed to help ppl make educated hosting decisions based on experience sharing , it was also a place where hosts could come share learn and get their feet wet , they were mostly former clients who became host because they knew they could do it better. I know I remember I was there.

Originally posted by blue27

Advertising is a cost of doing business. If you are unable to afford that cost then how are you going to sustain a business if some unexpected cost occurs?
    That comment is apples and oranges amazon.com started in a garage I don't think they could have paid for alot of advertising either .

this whole thing is pointless this place has been bought by a big company , and everything it used to be is no more. I cant imagine how many of you are so , ......I don't even know the word , to think if they charge for offers it wont get crowded with " bottom feeders" , it will and then what? raise prices?

I can see the new rules now , no negative posts about a host that are paying to advertise.

how long before you have to pay to even be a member here.
    Dana aka Laci My Alter Ego
    Former WHT Moderator
      0 Not allowed!

That I know won't happen - and if whatever reason that does - I'd be the first to leave.
      0 Not allowed!

Laci

As you are quite critical of changes that have apparently occured and others you anticipate, I would like to hear your constructive opinions on your recommendations to improve the board and particularly the advertising forums. After all, Bob started this thread to generate discussion, but comments like
    this whole thing is pointless this place has been bought by a big company , and everything it used to be is no more. I cant imagine how many of you are so , ......I don't even know the word , to think if they charge for offers it wont get crowded with " bottom feeders" , it will and then what? raise prices?

I can see the new rules now , no negative posts about a host that are paying to advertise.

provide nothing constructive that can be considered and possibly used.

As to your Amazon.com analogy, not a good one. They advertised from day one on the web. Then, when they decided to try to grow, they sought funding and used it almost totally for advertising. Plainly, amazon.com was built on payed advertising. Also, no one here has suggested that advertising be expensive, just that there be some charge.

Again, if you have any suggestions and/or ideas for improvement, please make them.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Laci
    [B]That comment is apples and oranges amazon.com started in a garage I don't think they could have paid for alot of advertising either .
    Do you realize your example is a 1 in 1,000,000 chance? It's VERY rare for a garage-built business to survive the way amazon did. I can think of 100,000 other examples for every 1 you come up with like that... oh yeah, and now, amazon pays approximately $50.00 per visitor to their site in advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by Laci
    this whole thing is pointless this place has been bought by a big company , and everything it used to be is no more.
    Yes, change is evil isn't it? Oh wait... I don't remember you making this comment when RackShack bought it, and we can all assume RackShack is a tad bigger (revenue) than iNet...

I cant imagine how many of you are so , ......I don't even know the word , to think if they charge for offers it wont get crowded with " bottom feeders" , it will and then what? raise prices?
    Bottom-feeders won't actually pay to advertise. When they make $25.00 a year on a client, how can they afford $25.00 to get one?

You're starting to act like a child now.
      0 Not allowed!

That is a great idea! Newspaper don't offer free ads! Even the free local city papers charge for ads. I'm not a host but as a consumer I like it that way at least I know the company is serious enough to pay for ads.
      0 Not allowed!

Smile

ERRRRR, I dunno~ Doesn't matter to me anymore~
    I have $$ to pay Otherwise I am not a host right now.
    I am leaving this thread, dun worry about me~

BYE~
      0 Not allowed!

As stated leave them removed, I mentioned on another forum WHT has lost its flare with those forums it will just encourage people to offer stupid amounts of resources for peanuts.

Taking money in USD was great when the aussie dollar was at 50cents or now its upto 72 and well $8.95 gives you around $12 now we are still happy with that rate but Im just puzzled at how some hosts can offer 100's of gigs of bandwidth gigs of space for $5/mth and still have enough to pay staff, rent, office, phone etc. I think the cost of living is cheaper here too. Not sure how they do it!
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!
      0 Not allowed!

When you put it like that, it feels that we lost 45% of our revenue, lol. But I worked it out that we are only actually losing a few grand because our server bill is still in USD, and we pay most of our staff in overseas currency. We only lose on the cash that stays in Australia (2 staff, office rent, telephone and cable bills etc). But we digress from the thread. :....
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry Laurence, was earlier had to vent
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!
      0 Not allowed!

Let's not get onto the topic of the strong Aussie Dollar!!

Maybe the mods can close this thread up?

I think all that needs to be said, has been said. I'm sure the CAT forum participants can take note of the community support this proposal has with 61.54% support, and they can continue to thrash this one out and make a submission to the mods etc.

Good debate and thanks for all who contributed.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    . . .

Maybe the mods can close this thread up?. . .
    That could be arranged.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456