92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

56 60.87%
  • No

36 39.13%
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Pay to post into the "Hosting Offers" forum

RE: Hosting Offers forum

Ok, now that the Request forums have been removed I make a suggestion that the Hosting Offers forum be subject to a payment for each offer listed. Much the same as posting a classified ad and paying a fee for such.

My reasoning for this -

(1). A spillover effect will happen in this Hosting Offers forum, imo, due to the closure of the Request forums. A fee for each Offer posted would prevent the forum from being flooded, and only list the hosts who are serious enough to pay a fee, and this would inturn present a better quality of hosts posting offers. I see this as a filtering process for the betterment of those looking for hosting from the Offers forum.

(2). This will also allow INET management to realise another revenue stream from WHT, rather than allowing hosts to continue with zero customer acquisition costs with the ad_forums. Each year, hundreds of thousands of dollars of business has been conducted in the ad_forums, and WHT owners have seen little if any of that, even though they provide the eCommerce platform for this interaction to take place.

(3). More following on from (1), but with only paid listings in the Hosting Offer's forum, there is a better chance of having better quality offers posted, from reputable hosts. This is a win for the consumer, as they have a better chance of choosing a reputable supplier, rather than sifting through all the free listings posted by less reputable hosts, who can no longer flood the Request forums. I'm not saying there is a direct corelation between reputable hosts, and those who pay to have an offer listed, but IMO, the chance of better quality and reputable offers being posted, will greatly increase with a fee paid for each listing.

(4). By removing the lesser reputable hosts from posting offers, this increases the benefit to the reputable hosts that are willing to pay a fee to post an offer. So we have a win for the consumer, and a win for the suppliers.

So in summary, the benefits, imo, would be as follows -

(1). Stop the Hosting Offers forum being flooded.

(2). INET management can realise another revenue stream.

(3). Improve greatly the quality of posts into the Offer's forum.

(4). Improve the platform for reputable hosts, posting offers.

[edit] fixed some typos, added (4).
    Last edited by Aussie Bob; 11-26-2003 at 04:24 AM.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

My question.. If we go paid.. How should the pay model be?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by The Prohacker
    That's probably another discussion. I see this thread more as discussing whether or not a paid model should be looked at, and the benefits thereof, but it's pretty simple to setup the neccessary payment procedure etc . . .
      0 Not allowed!

Aye, always been in favor of this.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.
      0 Not allowed!

I would like it to be paid as well but what about small hosts..aren't we going to wipe them off from WHT by doing this?

Not all small hosts are bad and bringing money to the table means WHT won't be what it is at this moment of time.

WHT is paradise for ppl who start web hosting biz a new, they get free info, consultation, experience and they even get to advertise free of cost.

That said...I'll love to see it going paid...wipe off the weeds!
    Maker of World's BEST Browser & Web site development software.
    Shared / Reseller / Dedicated *Managed* Web hosting on Linux / Windows with 99.5% Uptime Guarantee with SLA & 90 days moneyback guarantee.
    Contact -> AIM: str1997 | ICQ: 303026849
      0 Not allowed!

What about the people that offer free scripts etc?

I think a paid/limited free is a good combo to go for.

Maybe you can post one ad a month for free pay a subscription and post once a week.
      0 Not allowed!

^ scripts can always be offered in the other offers forum.

Originally posted by Str
    and they even get to advertise free of cost.
    They would still be able to... theyre aloud to advertise in their signatures.

The advertising forums are a "bonus" and hopefully soon to become a "premium bonus".

There should be a monthly subscription rate as well as a single time purchase of space. (Which of course would be more expensive than the monthly fee - so if you think you have a good enough deal to only have to post once - $130 shouldnt be a big deal VS the $100/month subscription)
      0 Not allowed!

Well personally I would never pay a $100.00 a month to post an offer in a fourm and watch it scroll out of site after 2 days.

Money better spent else where on banner ads and CTR.
      0 Not allowed!

Remember, if there is a $100 monthly fee - how many actual hosts do you think will even still be posting offers? You'd probably be up there for a couple weeks
      0 Not allowed!

Techark, noone's mentioning how much it would cost, so your figure of $100/mth has nothing to do with this thread. As far as payment issues, I think a small one off fee for each offer posted, would be suitable and simple to implement and manage, imo. Maybe $5 - $10 - $25 per offer posted, would be suitable and feasible.
      0 Not allowed!

I think it would be a good idea to charge to advertise, I mean you have to anywhere else. But on the other hand, soon after this would be started, I have a feeling there will be a Huge drop in traffic on this board.

I will admit I have gained a few clients from WHT, But out of my 15 post in the request forums, I didnt get many. I dont base my operations to WHT, I use it to learn more about hosting. Where else can you learn the right from someone elses mistakes
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Techark
    What about the people that offer free scripts etc? . . .
    I've never seen free scripts offered previously in the Hosting Offers forum. Not sure where that fits into the Hosting Offers forum. Sounds like "free scripts" belongs in another forum catagory.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by hoststylez
    I think it would be a good idea to charge to advertise, I mean you have to anywhere else. But on the other hand, soon after this would be started, I have a feeling there will be a Huge drop in traffic on this board . . .
    I don't think this suggestion would cause a "Huge drop in traffic". It's more of a balancing out effect, with the main focus being on the actual discussion forums, and not just maintaining a haven for those intent on building their business by freely using the ad_forums.

The Request forums are gone, and now if you want to promote on WHT, you can pay for advertising through the various advertising inventory channels. Pay for posting an offer in the Hosting Offers forum, would be 1 such advertising channel, and hence another revenue stream is opened up for INET.

The removal of the Request forums probably would cause a slight drop in traffic, imo, but that's no loss to the community one bit.

Reflecting on this very issue, I imagine this one's already being thrashed out in the CAT forum. If any of you folks want to jump into this thread, we'd love to hear what you think.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Techark, noone's mentioning how much it would cost, so your figure of $100/mth has nothing to do with this thread. As far as payment issues, I think a small one off fee for each offer posted, would be suitable and simple to implement and manage, imo. Maybe $5 - $10 - $25 per offer posted, would be suitable and feasible.
    Try reading the post right above mine before you claim my comments have no point in this thread.

Mrdreed posted $100.00 a month subscription model i answered.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Techark
    Try reading the post right above mine before you claim my comments have no point in this thread.

Mrdreed posted $100.00 a month subscription model i answered.
    Apologies for that. I thought you were surfacing the $100/mth model. I'm not suggesting a $$$$ value here, just suggesting that the Hosting Offers forum have a fee for posts. It's more a model that suits a one off payment per offer.

No, I don't think a monthly fee is applicable, but that's more a discussion for another thread, imo.
      0 Not allowed!

I think we should launch the Offers forums as well.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.
      0 Not allowed!

Hi,

I have to agree that Hosting Offers forum should be subjected to payment. I am just a end-user who is learning stuff in WHT.

Business firms/Companies should pay for a minimal fee to post in Hosting Offers forum. With a minimal fee, I believe that serious Business firms/Companies can afford this amount. And I believe if Aussie Bob's suggestion is approved, the minimal fee would not be that much. If smaller hosts could not afford this minimal fee, they have to ask themselves, how much do they actually invested in their business plans? Is the investment so little that they could not afford this minimal fee?

hehe, this is my first post, just my thought.
      0 Not allowed!

I think it would be a good idea. Just like a classified ad. Pay $5.00 per submission. Maybe sell packages. 10 submissions for $40.
      0 Not allowed!

or 1$ per 20 words
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by The Prohacker
    Limit the number of posts per month to say 1 or 2 and bill people by the month to have posting priveleges. Nice and simple and should work a treat.

You will find the quality improves significantly as hosts who currently stay away from that area through fear of being associated with $1 hosts might actually start using the service
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.
      0 Not allowed!

Something along the lines of $10 to $20 per posted offer, would be acceptable for a host, and feasible for management taking cc details etc.

It'd be pretty simple to manage, because you can setup that forum catagory so that INET management [or the mods] has to approve a post, before it's displayed in the forum.
      0 Not allowed!

Come on iNET, you know it makes sense
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.
      0 Not allowed!

I'd rather see the credit system.

Purchase 'credits' that can be used in the Advertising Forums. Different areas and actions can cost different credits.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    I'd rather see the credit system.

Purchase 'credits' that can be used in the Advertising Forums. Different areas and actions can cost different credits.
    Yes, that would work well.
      0 Not allowed!

i would also agree with making fees, but not too high..
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast