Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Indeed there have been some lengthy threads on the subject for quite some time. We listened, observed, started lengthy discussions ourselves in the mod area and then later in the CAT area. It has been an ongoing problem area at least since I have been "modified", I rarely went there before that.
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry, I haven't read every post in this thread...but...on my forums I have a classifieds section, and what I do is allow new topics (ads), but do not allow replies. This way, people interested in the ad can reply via PM or email, rather than posting in the ad and low balling each other, arguing off topic, etc. Couldn't something like this be implemented here.

Just to clarify, I honestly don't care about the offers/requests/whatever forums as I never visit them, but I just wanted to give my input.
      0 Not allowed!

That has already been discussed as option, but it wouldn't work here too well as *many times banned* members simply signed up and never posted, but still were able to send PMs and emails to reply to requests.
      0 Not allowed!

Great move Dennis & Crew
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!
      0 Not allowed!

Doesn't make any difference to me anymore, I just got my behind banned from the ad forums for telling somebody he had a spelling mistake in the tutorials he was trying to sell. Considering I was genuinely intrested in buying some of the tutorials, it only has brought a lot of doubts to mind about the advertising forums.

If they have to be policed to such a degree that a constructive comment can be seen in such a way that it merrits a ban, are they really worth it?

Freakb0y's suggestion makes sense. Disable the ability to reply to advertising posts. It will cut down on necessary policing and what happened to me then can't happen to anybody else. It put a new light on the situation for me. Now I guess I'll just have to wait out the ban (though I don't see what disabling my PM's has to do with the advertising forums, still waiting for an answer on that).
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!
      0 Not allowed!

Looks like Resellers will have to take things a little more seriously and have a real marketing plan when starting out
    Great thing for us, the people who are not resellers
    Pierre Grandmaison
    Offering 24/7 Toll Free Telephone Support
    Zenutech Web Hosting
    http://www.zenutech.com
      0 Not allowed!

The removal of this tread is a positive move.

Thanks for taking this bold measure.
      0 Not allowed!

It's no surprise to see such support for this decision. As mentioned earlier, discussions about the Requests Forum have taken place for some time now, and it appeared fairly evident that for the most part, WHT members would welcome this change. So I don't think it's fair to assume that the mods are making this move simply based on their own personal opinions.

This is a great change for the better. Some say that the Dedicated Requests Forum should have stayed. Perhaps, but it doesn't preclude anyone from finding what they want. The Offers Forum is still here. So it will just take a little more effort to find what you're looking for.

A small price to pay compared to the enormous benefit the community will reap as a whole.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials
      0 Not allowed!

Is it possible to set a rule whereby host can reply to advertising forum after a certain numbers of posts? 500? 1000? 2000? 3000? or even 594385038583

Most of the users who came back to complaint on bad hosts were normally signed up with the one night host. Besides, most of the cheap offers were offered by the new hosts. Would that solve 50% of the current problem?

Just my 2 cent though
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by DPerley
    Well I have read this a couple times now and wanted to make these observations:

First the announcement of the sale of WHT in September.

From Rober Marsh:<snip>

and then from Ryan Elledge:
    <snip>
    And finally:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=206108

Webhostingtalk now hosted by Rackspace?
    For the past week or so I have noticed that Webhostingtalk forums have been slower to load, it seemed like execution times were slower and the pages just acting differently if that makes sense. There has been a definite change in the speed at which I was able to surf through topics here.

Today I saw that Rackspace now hosts WebHostingtalk. I would say the forums worked better where they were, this being a credit to EV1/Rackshack's network.

Something for everyone, The Virtual Illusion
    ================================

Like I said just observations and maybe something to think about while we ponder the future of the "Community", what it means to each of us and what it's importance is in regards to our businesses and our interests in web hosting.

That last quote by Watcher was actually retracted I think if you read the full thread ......
    Originally posted by Watcher_TVI
    So far tonight things seem to be back to normal, speeds seem to be pretty quick.

Thanks for the update!

As for the changes; some of the ones we'll be making in the next couple weeks have been in work since March/April of this year. Now that there's an excellent web development company behind us, we can make those changes (has anyone else noticed there are no more broken threads, if you know what i'm talking about? ) That's not to say RS wasn't great - with the cooperation of both companies, WHT will continue to be the great community it is.

0 Not allowed!

So, what exactly was the problem that resulted in broken threads?

I agree, the support from iNET has been immense thus far. WHT sure is progressing.
    Have you Floble'd today?
      0 Not allowed!

So, what exactly was the problem that resulted in broken threads?
    Don't know - but ever since they balanced the database/website on more/multiple servers I haven't seen one - and people have been working behind the scenes a lot I think
      0 Not allowed!

i cant wait untill they are gone it was such a good idea

0 Not allowed!

Fantastic move. This will increase the quality of WHT overnight!
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.
      0 Not allowed!

Is it just me?

When I first registered with WHT I saw post after post about how the "bottom dwellers" and Free Hosts were causing havoic with "Real" hosts. Most of the posts said something similar to "How can I run an honest business when competing against some kid offering more than me for FREE? Something ought to be done!... Like a forum just for Free Hosts! That would solve all our problems.. yeah.. if we segregate those people out the world will be a safer place"

And what do ya know... forums were created just for that. I admit I used those forums to get some traffic. But I hate being lumped in with the rest as a "bottom dweller". I have NO complaints and I run a business just as honest as any one else!!!!!!

Now these forums are being taken away. []bOk, I respect the decision of the Mods and Owners.[/b] I run my business they way I want also... But I'll wager any amount that the same threads I saw about this when I first got here will be cropping up again real soon.

You can't please everyone, eh? The vast majority of my posts here are in the other forums and will continue to be so... This has got to be one of the BEST resources for web hosts ANYWHERE! I will contnue to frequent these boards whether there is advertising or not! I will continue to post in many forums here...

However, I will still post advertisements for Free hosting.. and I'll do my best to hold my tongue when a "real" host complains that I am undercutting their business and asks for "segregation" again...

my .02
      0 Not allowed!

Where else to go?

I'm sad to see those forums go. Does anyone else know where a guy can go to posts requests for good deals? I often have a project of another that I don't care to spend a lot of money on but needs a home.

What was the reason for removing it? So people with overpriced hosting can compete? I'm guessing it probably came down to advertising revenue for WHT, but still, that section often pulled me to this place.

Thanks,
    Dan
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Viper_4
    I think it is a good idea. You did see nothing but bid wars.
    Hmmm, sounds like a free market to me. I'm going to go see if I can get the city to ban classified ads in the newspapers in our town. That way, I can corner the market for online classifieds in the area! I think that would be easier that trying to compete, anyway.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by The Spook
    Hmmm, sounds like a free market to me. I'm going to go see if I can get the city to ban classified ads in the newspapers in our town. That way, I can corner the market for online classifieds in the area! I think that would be easier that trying to compete, anyway.
    Actually, start by requesting free ads in the classifieds ads section, since that would make it more applicable to this situation. If people want to advertise: pay for banners... if you can't afford them: find new job. It's really not a tough process...
      0 Not allowed!

hmm...sounds like you like the free-for-all with kiddie hosts snapping at your feet. Unfortunatly, that had to stop because it was bad for this community.

Why don't you just do a little work and research a bit? Check the offers forum. There's cheap stuff in there. All that's changed is you have to look a bit more.
      0 Not allowed!

Did you pay for your WHT membership?

If your answer is "no", your "case" loses it's value instantly. As comphosting said, why not run a banner campaign, a PPC campaign etc etc.

The thing is with the requests and offers section; It's a feeding frenzy, and gives "fly by nights" easy prey, to wield their ridiculous offers upon. It was a free service, that became abused, and therefore I for one back the decision wholeheartedly.

If the R&O forums were to make a comeback, i would suggest to the WHT staff that they charge at least $100 per month per advertiser/member. That way, the chance is still there for people to "compete", but it will certainly keep at least a few of the "rabble" away, as the cost to advertise will be probably the same as they are paying for their server, in most cases.
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.
      0 Not allowed!

Why not charge $20/ month to access the whole thing...that will sort out all the riff-raff and cry babies -lol
      0 Not allowed!

Did you pay for your WHT membership?
    I wasn't aware of any sort of paid memebership. I mean, you can access the content for free...

As comphosting said, why not run a banner campaign, a PPC campaign etc etc.
    Well, it's tough to offer $2.95 deals when the minimum advertising purchase here is $200. That's a lot of accounts! You'd have to sell 68 accounts just to make your money back at that price. I can imagine it's tough for the discount sellers to pay more than, say, 35 cents per click, and even that is pricey considering not all clicks are sales (it adds up fast). There are other places to advertise, but paid advertising increases operating costs. When I sign up for a web host for a dinky little project I'm working on, I don't want to pay for their big shiney banner on hostsearch.com or whatever. Nor do I really care if they have 99.999999999% uptime and toll free customer service. I just want a semi-reliable host that I can connect to and work on my project regardless of my location.

To summarize this pointless rambling, if you want to advertise well, you can't charge bottom-of-the-barrel prices. I, as a customer, do not wish to pay for your advertising expenses. That's why the request forum was a nice way to cut out the paid advertising requirement by matching dealer with deal seeker.

Why don't you just do a little work and research a bit? Check the offers forum.
    The prices are usually higher in the offers forum because people are posting what they want to get, not necessarily what they're willing to let it go for. Also, since I'm usually hosting special purpose projects, I often have special needs. Right now it would be nice if I could find someone interested in offering ASP.NET, SQL Server, and 2 domains. I find all sort of overpriced single domain offers, and for the multiple domains I find lots of reseller accounts that have features I don't need. In the request forum, I could simply ask "Who's willing to accomodate me and for what price." and choose the lowest price posted. Easy.

I know most of the community here doesn't care about "bottom dwellers" like me. The want the big ticket accounts, and I don't blame you. What drew me to this forum in the first place was when I used to own my own hosting company. Unfortunately, I couldn't compete so I sold the business. I didn't whine about it asking for censorship of those who were able to offer it cheaper. Now that I'm a customer again, I appreciate those same places I was competing against.

Anyway, I give up, you win. I'll still enjoy the business-related forums at this place (like 'Running a WH business' or the 'E-commerce' forum, but I'll just have to find another place that matches desparate web hosts with those who want a deal.
      0 Not allowed!

Well, it's tough to offer $2.95 deals when the minimum advertising purchase here is $200. That's a lot of accounts! You'd have to sell 68 accounts just to make your money back at that price
    Actually....assuming you're offering just one plan $2.95/month, you'd have to sell 68 months of service to get your money back. You could have 34 clients sign up and they stay for 2 months and you make your money back, or you could have 6 clients stay for about a year (and if you offer good service they will stay for this long) and make your money back.

I also see you're not making use of a signature - you're allowed to advertise there for free - why not take advantage? (provided it fits the rules)

wasn't aware of any sort of paid memebership. I mean, you can access the content for free...
    There isn't. Membership at WHT has always been free.
      0 Not allowed!

I wasn't aware of any sort of paid memebership. I mean, you can access the content for free...
    I'm not even going to bother replying to all of that. If it's bottom-feeders you want, go find them elsewhere.
      0 Not allowed!

That's my point.. so complaining that someone isn't giving you free advertising is a tad silly.

Well, it's tough to offer $2.95 deals when the minimum advertising purchase here is $200. That's a lot of accounts! You'd have to sell 68 accounts just to make your money back at that price. I can imagine it's tough for the discount sellers to pay more than, say, 35 cents per click, and even that is pricey considering not all clicks are sales (it adds up fast).
    Any host that cannot afford $200 for an advertising campagin, has no real business being a web host, in my opinion.

It isn't a lot of accounts, if the host sets his/her pricing structure somewhere in the realms of common sense, let alone business sense. Advertising isn't about getting simple sales, it's about creating a product image that is recognizable, for both the short term, and long term. I would suggest that any hosting company that disregards that, and sticks to free advertising only, are also going to cut corners elsewhere, leaving you, as a customer, in the lurch, and back in the very same forum (R&O), requesting the exact same thing, at the exact same price, and getting the exact same service.
    Last edited by IHSL; 11-25-2003 at 02:48 PM.
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast