Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    To all the folks who are mourning the loss of the dedicated/colo requests forum, just think...companies can and should make themselves known as being flexible and able to provide custom solutions in their offers. This doesn't signify the end of good deals down in the ad forums for colo/dedicated servers, it just means you'll have to investigate a bit more and deal one on one with the companies you are considering.

Yes, you'll have to do more work. That goes for both sides, both the dedicated provider and the customers who look for servers here. But in the end, both sides will benefit from this change.
      0 Not allowed!

It's already started .....

Users are posting in the main forums for hosting -requests-
    is there going to be a rule for this ?
    Stacie | Administrator
    OxygenShell
    IRC Accounts | ShoutCast | Dedicated Servers | Quality Web Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Why

Originally posted by jroy
    . . . Please think about keeping those forums, or i will never post here again.

Thank you,
    Gee, tough decision.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by CS-Stacie

They can post up in those forums for recomendations all day long. Hosts just cannot reply with specific offers, although I am sure the kiddy brigade will try. We'll also see a heap of these kiddy hosts who used to hunt the old Request forum, create new WHT usernames and anonymously pimp the main forums.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by CS-Stacie

There has always been and always will be a rule against this. Please report the post, so the mods can take care of it.

This is going to take some getting used to for all involved, but I personally believe it's just the change that WHT needs.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: 'Requests' and 'Free' Forums

Originally posted by Hoobastank68
    I respect WHT's decision (along with the Mods), but I doubt removing these forums will do any good, as you might be seeing even more spamming / fake praises / recommendations going on in the other forums
    Yes, I agree that will be one negative to come out of this, but it's worth it, imo.

Every action has a reaction. The mods have pushed the big shiny red button and we'll see what happens. I don't think the aftereffect will be unmanageable.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    I'm wondering have you made an announcement in other forums about this decision? I would really love to see the feedback on such a medium-size decision.
    The feedback by active members has been overwhelmingly positive. The feedback from those who just see WHT as a place to advertise and promote, has not been so positive.

Mission accomplished.

It's a gutsy call by the mods and my hat goes off to them.
      0 Not allowed!

Not only do I think it'll be manageable, I think it'll be a cakewalk compared to trying to mod that mess of request forums.
      0 Not allowed!

I really don't care about those forums since I've never been in any of them but I am just curious and this is a really hot topic.. I felt that I didn't want to miss all the action going on just sitting and watching

I am in favor of the opposition. Why? See below (if you have the patience )

Originally posted by blue27
    This is a good move. Since 90% of the posters in those forums contribute nothing to the main forums I don't think there will be a problem.
    I cannot say I am an WHT addict but I find it very usefull. And as a member who never been on request forums (well maybe once or twice out of curiousity) it's not going to cause me any problems for sure. But this is a side of the hosting business (dark side you may call) and I belive that these things needed to be in front of the eyes of public. Since WHT is such a huge community, people should see all sides of the story. And beside, if they cannot do this in a special forum, they will do it underground (spam, infecting other forums, PM etc etc...), not good..

Originally posted by Rochen
    By removing the requests forums it will stop a host from changing their offering every few minutes just to meet the requirements of one user.

Hosts can present their offering in the ‘Offers’ forum and then the consumer can search through the offers to find the one that’s right for them, instead of having lots of hosts fighting over one customer.
    Why not? So people can clearly see providers with a stable business approach and providers who are "fakeing".. I would like to see these both, this really helps me to decide. Let them change their offers every few minutes. Let me notice these guys, so I can be aware of them. Now they will (most probably) PM their "ever-changing" offers and I will just see what they "fake" on the board (here "I" is any WHT member who needs to find hosting from time to time, not myself).
    And why not having fights over one customer? I don't think the respectable providers here, who agree with removing the forums would never do that. This also prove me the lack of quality on approach to the business.

Originally posted by comphosting
    I think we can all agree that the purpose of WHT is a community, not a free market.
    If this is the idea, it is something else. But if I'd had a hosting discussion web site I would want to have some business going on; either good or bad, expensive or free. If it's free it is up to the provider why it's free or cheap. And the buyer has to think about it.

The advertising forums are just an added bonus and in my opinion do not form part of what I would call the ‘core structure’ of this community.
    So be it.. Why not? It's always good to have multiple benefits then just one, as long as it is related with the core structure..

Originally posted by artvision
    And yet - this a decision, to a certain extent, will protect
    novices from doubtful hosting companies.
    I belive the best learning method is trial and error, UNLESS you allready know how to learn. If someone cannot see between a realistic offer and a ridiculous offer, he/she needs to learn to seperate these two. If he/she can "learn by him/herself" can easily search some posts, asks for advice (that's what I did at the first place) or browse the web for a while etc. But if this doesn't help, trial and error is a great method to learn. If they don't try to learn, let them bump to a wrong provider and notice the difference. I'm happy that I've done a lot of mistakes in the past, now I just watch others to do and enjoy myself

Originally posted by Coach
    It is also about protecting consumers from the hosts that aren't able to make it in the "real world". They may find the bottom feeders elsewhere, but why open up the largest site dedicated to hosting for such people? We cannot help what goes on in other places, but we can at least make our own home respectable.
    If this is the largest site dedicated to hosting I belive it should also show the ugly side, and even allow consumers to read, feel and experience them. In this way I belive that WHT would be more "helpfull".

Originally posted by The Prohacker
    The kind of requests and the people filling them are low balling it so bad most aren't making profits and won't be in business long.. So the person will just be back again making another request and starting the process over again...
    I am sure they will be back for another request but this time they will be carefull... Very carefull...

Originally posted by thedavid
    perhaps it will encourage them to participate in the 'core' forums that really make WHT shine, not just ads.
    You always have the chance to not going those forums, this is what I do. If they are going there it means that they are willing it. So be it...

We as the guardians on this community will always act in the best interests of the community and that’s what has happened here today.
    I respect and appreciate that as a member but I just belive that's not a very good call.

And finally;

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    We know that WHT is not an advertising convention, but you must admit it has had a pretty good size impact on the community.
    Agreed.

Originally posted by LociasInc
    personally I don't agree with this decision but what has to be done has to be done, no way around it. Yes, i can foresee this decision have quite a few of members unregistereding which means that they were just here for advertising which won't be much of a loss. about the levels all well, if they are truly here for the whole WHT not just the request forums then their level will incrase again.
    Totally agree with every words..

Originally posted by tbrant
    I think of this place as an open marketplace... with all the wheeling, dealing, rumor-mongering, back-stabbing, partnering, and showing off that goes with that model. It's "buyer beware"...
    This what I like as well. I like to see all action (see sig)..

Originally posted by Chicken
    The sky is not falling... and won't be until next year sometime. Continue to wash your car, as if nothing has changed.
    I know but it's 5 a.m now, I cannot sleep and don't have anything better to do right now
    (and to be more precise it is during fall next year )

Originally posted by Akash
    We're still very open to suggestions on what else we should do to the forums down there(and to WHT in general) - so if you have anything, feel free to post
    Well there might be some other ideas/problems behind this decision that I cannot think of, but these were my humble ideas and I think I well deserved my 2 cents
    Just fooling around...
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Bling Bling
    If your removing those sections then why not remove the ads on the forum all together ?
    WHT is a business and those ads bring in the $$$. The ad forums are not generating any significant income for WHT [apart from banner rotations and maybe the odd "sticky"], so maybe the WHT owners are trying to maximise their return? Nothing wrong with that.

Rusko summed it up in a nutshell -
    i would imagine inet want to capitalize on their investment by placing more advertising inventory as opposed to allowing people to do 0 cost client acquisition.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by comphosting
    The only thing we are throwing out with the water, is all the crap in it (the requests)...

But I LIKE being able to post exactly what I want and not have to go look at the sites of 40 hosts that have almost-but-not-quite what I want. I think can find the baby in the floating crap.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by tbrant
    But I LIKE being able to post exactly what I want and not have to go look at the sites of 40 hosts that have almost-but-not-quite what I want. I think can find the baby in the floating crap.
    Again, that's a non-issue. Do you go through life always getting exactly what you want? Nope, you get the closest possible, and most hosts are willing to extend extra features or requirements within reason.
      0 Not allowed!

great decision!
    never actually visited them anyway.
    but anyhow.
      0 Not allowed!

Personally I feel this is one of the best decisions ever made by the mod team. Hats off to you for it.

I echo the statements that most people have said, in favour of this and from where I stand, I'd say that while it may have a short term negative impact, it may also open the possibility for a more informed customer, one who hasn't been burned by hosts in the advertising forums, and may be able to give a few of the newer hosts, who may or may not have been relying on the advertising forums, a chance to learn the industry, improve their business, and achieve sucess. Plus more knowledgable competition always makes life a bit more fun.
    AC Host Canada – Affordable Canadian Web Hosting Solutions
    Shared Hosting | Email Hosting | DNS Hosting | Custom Plans Available
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Apoc
    Hm I think this could be a great move, but I don't really see the point in removing the dedicated requests. I regulary see people who have very specific need, those forums were/are actually quite useful for that purpose.
    I also agree with this. Cause the established businesses can look for a better establishment to use.
    -Adam Wilkinson
    http://www.oregonhosted.com
    Getting Oregon Online!
      0 Not allowed!

Well I have read this a couple times now and wanted to make these observations:

First the announcement of the sale of WHT in September.

From Rober Marsh:
    Fantastic News - New WHT Partner
    Fantastic News - New WHT Partner

I have signed an agreement that gives Web Hosting Talk a new partner. iNET Interactive (http://www.inetinteractive.com) has acquired ownership of WHT as of yesterday afternoon.

iNET has expressed an interest in WHT for nearly a year. Founded in 2002, iNET operates a network of web hosting/web development related sites including Hotscripts.com. Ryan Elledge (relledge), iNET’s President, will be available throughout the day to answer any questions you have.

There will be no change in WHT's operations. The moderators will continue to be in charge. The same rules, forum structure and website design will remain in place. However, Ryan is very interested in hearing your input on what improvements you would like to see.

It's been an honor for me personally and RackShack as a company to be a part of WHT. Going forward, RackShack (which will renamed EV1Servers on October 1) will continue offering WHT any and all necessary hosting resources to keep it running as smoothly as it has. EV1Servers will continue to be a major WHT advertiser, and I will continue to be a WHT moderator. In addition, WHT will have the benefit of Ryan's and the iNET team's focus and dedication.

Thanks to all of you for being a part of the WHT. In the last 3 months we have added more than 4,000 new members and 250,000 posts. It's RackShack's goal and iNET's to continue growing and improving WHT so that it continues to be an invaluable community resource.

The Inet team stands ready to listen to your concerns, suggestions, and thoughts. Don;t worry about any rash changes. They'll continue to work with the community to make it even better.

and then from Ryan Elledge:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Robert Marsh for welcoming iNET to WebhostingTalk.com. iNET truly feels privileged to become a part of the greatest discussion forums for web hosting on the Internet. And, let me assure each and everyone here, it is iNET's sole desire to continue operating WebhostingTalk AS IS and merely provide assistance in helping continue its growth that it has been experiencing.

I want to take this opportunity to let all of you know that we were attracted to WHT because of the strong resource that it is, and that we have no intentions of changing anything. As Robert indicated in his post, I, and the rest of the iNET staff, are very interested in learning what, if anything, else you would like to see incorporated to this site. At this time, we just love the site and are privileged to be a part of it.

Tomorrow when you come to WHT you will not see anything different. The layout is not going to change … the colors are not going to change … the forums are not going to change. The same can be said for next week, next month, and well into the future. The only thing that will change in the future is something that the community says they want. If you all want to see something new here, let us know and we’ll look into it.

I also want to reiterate that Robert is staying on as a moderator, and we couldn’t be more excited about that. The iNET staff will not be moderating the boards… we’re going to leave that to the professionals!

If you have any questions I can answer, do not hesitate to ask. On behalf of iNET, thanks for welcoming us to your community.

Best,

Ryan Elledge, President
    iNET Interactive

My point being both saying nothing will be changed except if the community wanted it to. Of course Mr. Marsh not owning WHT anymore wouldn't have the final say but Mr. Elledge says:

" Tomorrow when you come to WHT you will not see anything different. The layout is not going to change … the colors are not going to change … the forums are not going to change. The same can be said for next week, next month, and well into the future. The only thing that will change in the future is something that the community says they want. If you all want to see something new here, let us know and we’ll look into it."

I don't see that there was a lot if input prior to the decision to delete the request forums from the "Community". Unless the community is suddenly comprised of just the Leaders, Liaisons and Guides. Two days notice of a final decision doesn't seem like discussion or input.

I'm not taking sides here as to if I think this was a good idea or a bad one just making some observations and you can decide for yourself if there is any merit to my observations.

And finally:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=206108

Webhostingtalk now hosted by Rackspace?
    For the past week or so I have noticed that Webhostingtalk forums have been slower to load, it seemed like execution times were slower and the pages just acting differently if that makes sense. There has been a definite change in the speed at which I was able to surf through topics here.

Today I saw that Rackspace now hosts WebHostingtalk. I would say the forums worked better where they were, this being a credit to EV1/Rackshack's network.

Something for everyone, The Virtual Illusion
    ================================

Like I said just observations and maybe something to think about while we ponder the future of the "Community", what it means to each of us and what it's importance is in regards to our businesses and our interests in web hosting.

0 Not allowed!

Good observation, no comment
    Stacie | Administrator
    OxygenShell
    IRC Accounts | ShoutCast | Dedicated Servers | Quality Web Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

WHT is an ever evolving creature.. Just because someone else took ownership doesn't mean that all production should be stopped and nothing should be done..

Of course there are going to be changed.. No mater who owns it.. This was something that needed to be done when Robert was owner.. Also the server move cured many of our forum 'bugs' such as threads that would stop working, etc...

Also alot of the input given was from CATs and taken from older posts from people saying requests should be revamped or deleted completely...
      0 Not allowed!

DPerley, change is an everyday fact of life. You can't read too much into those above messages from Ryan Elledge and Robert Marsh, and expect there never to be change.

I'd say we're talking about different levels of "changes", and these changes the mods have made now, are for the betterment of the community. This involves changes on a daily basis. One thing I've learned about the net is that nothing stays exactly the same for long.
      0 Not allowed!

Aw shucks, the requests forums are one of the best source of comedy on this website. Where will I go for my daily ha-ha's now?
      0 Not allowed!

Amen to what Bob wrote.

Running a message board is a trial-and-error process and no decision is made forever. I believe that we haven't seen the end of the changes and that's a good thing because they keep the board alive and kicking.
    http://www.voilaweb.com - the Social Internet Toolbox.
      0 Not allowed!

Remember when the post counts suddenly were changed? There was a long and windy discussion about what parts of WHT the posts should count. Suddenly we had a number of newbies with 0 posts because they had only posted in forums where the posts were'nt counted.

Then suddenly they were back.

I'm not saying that the request forums will be back, but removing them for the time being in order to sort things out, is a good move.

WHT needs to grow. Growth means change. Change means removing the parts that don't work, and replace them with things that do work. Point the newbies towards the offers. Give them recomendations. Is it really that hard to click a link (or copy and paste) in order to go the the recomended host's website to read about what they offer?

Yes, it's easy to post a request for hosting. I have done so twice.
    The first time was when I first joined. The offers I got were good, to the point, and it was easy to choose. I didn't ask for much, and no one offered me 10 GB for $1/month.
    The second time I asked for something more. That was a nightmare. It took much longer to find out who to choose and who to trust. I ended up asking hosts who's opinion here I valued instead of going with what I got in the request.
    I wish the request forum had stayed OK the way it was when I first joined, but it has changed badly. What do you do with cancer? Remove it, right? Then there is room for healthy growth.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard
      0 Not allowed!

Good Desicion

Yes we've posted a bit in response to requests but we certainly don't rely on it, off the top of my head i think we have only 3/4 accounts that are a result of those forums.

I think this will kill off alot of the little guys that offer the world for a dollar and for that only ever end up leading people to believe that the entire hosting industry is one big rip-off

Good riddance to them.
    Hyperconfused (™)
      0 Not allowed!

The pending removal of those sub-forums are the best thing WHT has done so far.

Hope the people there don't flood the remainder of the mboard with the offers/requests stuff...
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.
      0 Not allowed!

I don't see that there was a lot if input prior to the decision to delete the request forums from the "Community". Unless the community is suddenly comprised of just the Leaders, Liaisons and Guides. Two days notice of a final decision doesn't seem like discussion or input

You really need to read the forum more.
    Many, many members have been saying for months that the ad forums are useless.
    This decision was based directly on member input, as far as I'm concerned.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast