Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by pixetech
    Yeah, way to step on anyone trying to get started in the business, all you over-priced giants can pat yourselves on the back now.

The kind of requests and the people filling them are low balling it so bad most aren't making profits and won't be in business long.. So the person will just be back again making another request and starting the process over again...

We cannot say that you can't offer below x bandwidth and x space for x/month.. So instead we are just removing it..

If your business is based solely around WHT then you seriously need to rethink your business plan
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by The Prohacker
    The kind of requests and the people filling them are low balling it so bad most aren't making profits and won't be in business long.. So the person will just be back again making another request and starting the process over again...

We cannot say that you can't offer below x bandwidth and x space for x/month.. So instead we are just removing it..

If your business is based solely around WHT then you seriously need to rethink your business plan
    Yep, though I suspect many do base their biz completely on WHT It'll be the hardest on them.
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...
      0 Not allowed!

And maybe that would be a good idea and be a benefit to others, however as with anything, people need to know about it. In addition to forums, there are many established hosting directories where people can type in their requirements and providers will reply with offers.

The sky is not falling... and won't be until next year sometime. Continue to wash your car, as if nothing has changed.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken
      0 Not allowed!

this is a double-edged sword, really. putting an end to the insanity that was the shared requests forum is definitely going to be beneficial to the community. i would imagine inet want to capitalize on their investment by placing more advertising inventory as opposed to allowing people to do 0 cost client acquisition.

with that said, we have picked up several clients in the dedicated request forums over time and while worthwhile requests are few and far between, i feel individuals and companies with complex requirements that can not be satisfied with cookie-cutter offerings looking for a good solution do need to have a venue to acquaint themselves with the established and well-respected providers that participate in the community. i feel leaving the dedicated&colo forums be and implementing a mminimum number of posts threshold for responding would have been a better solution.

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Chicken
    And maybe that would be a good idea and be a benefit to others, however as with anything, people need to know about it. In addition to forums, there are many established hosting directories where people can type in their requirements and providers will reply with offers.

The sky is not falling... and won't be until next year sometime. Continue to wash your car, as if nothing has changed.
    chicken,

we'll see what you think about this when people start migrating in droves to the requests forum over at HHO =]

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters
      0 Not allowed!

I can understand that getting rid of the freeloaders and bottom feeders is a good idea, but the dedicated/co-lo requests forum was very useful from both supplier and consumer perspective.
    Blacknight
    ICANN accredited domain registrar
      0 Not allowed!

most of the requests/offers were bottom feeders there as well - just because the price range was higher than shared, but still low for dedicateds.
      0 Not allowed!

I gotta say I applaud ya for this decision, Ill admit I even used to reply in the request section time to time, But havent really gone there for while, I love all the other boards on here fine and dont see no problem with getting rid of all these people with 10 posts which are all trying to rip people off on the requests board!!!

Only complaint is removing the dedicated request board, since unlike shared hosting, This was a more legit board, and people really used it and got help from it (Exspecially it seems when looking for lower end dedicated servers which many sites dont provide but easily could be found on here)

Ohwell, overall I think its a good decision and should help WHT grow to become a better place in the future!

(haha, And I will miss post counts if they are getting erased, since well, Im a post count whore And this is post 250 for me, haha! )
      0 Not allowed!

There's still the offers forum - people can look for themselves now.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Mallclerks
    (haha, And I will miss post counts if they are getting erased, since well, Im a post count whore And this is post 250 for me, haha! )
    You will only lose 128
      0 Not allowed!

I was looking forward to this announcement. Simply said, I agree, and support Coach's comments in this thread.

Hoorah to a better WHT.
    Have you Floble'd today?
      0 Not allowed!

Can anyone suggest other forums where I can post requests for specific types of hosting?

Just my luck... I just got a budget together to expand my hosting ventures, and you close the fourms the next day! I filled one request yesterday, but I still need Cold Fusion and QT streaming solutions, and this was one of my major "shopping" channels.

I don't like the "find-a-host" websites... that's just a competition between marketing budgets. I like the live interacton of talking to vendors and their clients.

I won't pretend that I follow the politics and management of WHT closely enough to know what it behind this move. I don't look for clients here... I just show up to shop, bitch, or find out why something is down. I am guessing there is some problem being solved.

I hope that you don't develop a replacement advertising forum that rewards a fat wallet with top billing... that makes it tired and worthless to me.

I think of this place as an open marketplace... with all the wheeling, dealing, rumor-mongering, back-stabbing, partnering, and showing off that goes with that model. It's "buyer beware"... but I'm perfectly OK with that. Don't "regulate" it to death.
      0 Not allowed!

A sterling decision! great stuff.

In one of the other forums, we were just discussing the value of WHT to the web hosting industry, over the past few days.

Everyone commented on the fact that WHT would be a better place without the requests forums. Those forums, in most cases, attracted the wrong kind of people to the hosting industry on a whole.

I have heard, all too many times, a host say that their business ran off WHT (not in as many words.. but you get my drift), this has to be a great step towards ridding WHT, and the industry of a few of these bad apples.

People really don't realise the size of WHT, and it's draw. Team it's alexa ranking with the post/member/topic count and you have the single biggest interactive hosting (excuse the pun) library in the world. That "Library" was being abused by kids / scam artists buying a cheapo dedicated server, and overselling it to an extreme, offering 100GB transfer for a couple of bucks.

The requests forum, in the larger part, was just a feeding frenzy for these "fly by nights" and probably powered their entire "business". It's great to see WHT trying to clean up the community.

It would certainly be interesting to keep an eye on new forums popping up in the next few days. I can almost guarantee that one of the "businesses" affected by WHT closing the afore mentioned forums, tries setting up a similar type of deal to the R&O forums.
    Last edited by IHSL; 11-24-2003 at 10:43 PM.
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.
      0 Not allowed!

If your removing those sections then why not remove the ads on the forum all together ?
      0 Not allowed!

Dont worry - I am coming up with a solution to the loss of these forums here - You will have something to replace these shortly
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by rusko
    chicken,

we'll see what you think about this when people start migrating in droves to the requests forum over at HHO =]

paul
    Paul, I wouldn't have a problem with that, and personally have really never had a problem with the request forums here or anywhere. The one group that gripes about them are hosts, and they soon will have nothing to worry about. I have a different view and purpose than many of the people in this thread. I think any other forum/directory will welcome it, and WHT (owners, moderators, and many members) won't miss it so it works out well.
    Originally posted by Mrdredd
    Dont worry - I am coming up with a solution to the loss of these forums here - You will have something to replace these shortly
    You and 100 other people, plus the myriad of already-existing forums, directories, and sites that already have request/offer systems. People who like it, miss it here, but I won't squash your hopes and dreams. Maybe a forum with just request forums? My, that would be something special.
    Last edited by Chicken; 11-24-2003 at 11:02 PM.

• Chicken
      0 Not allowed!

Dedicated server requests are no different. Only real difference is, hosts don't bitch about low-baller dedicated providers since so many (including some of the more "expensive" hosts) use them. This thread only proves that it's easy to whine about competitors, meanwhile complaining that your going to lose your ability to get cheapo upstreams. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, the whole advertising section could be phased out completely. I certainly wouldn't lose sleep.
      0 Not allowed!

I think this is throwing out the baby with the bath water . but the decision is made , and I wish WHT luck with it
    Dana aka Laci My Alter Ego
    Former WHT Moderator
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by comphosting
    Dedicated server requests are no different. Only real difference is, hosts don't bitch about low-baller dedicated providers since so many (including some of the more "expensive" hosts) use them.
    Very true, and odd that it's those very same offers that are enabling what people call "ridiculously low" shared/reseller offers to exist. Ohhh what a wicked web we weave.

• Chicken
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Laci
    I think this is throwing out the baby with the bath water . but the decision is made , and I wish WHT luck with it
    I'm all about nifty analogies... but what does that have to do with this decision? The only thing we are throwing out with the water, is all the crap in it (the requests)...
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by comphosting
    Dedicated server requests are no different. Only real difference is, hosts don't bitch about low-baller dedicated providers since so many (including some of the more "expensive" hosts) use them. This thread only proves that it's easy to whine about competitors, meanwhile complaining that your going to lose your ability to get cheapo upstreams. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, the whole advertising section could be phased out completely. I certainly wouldn't lose sleep.
    If you don't care that they aren't there, then why do you care if they are? I am just wondering, not trying to start anything here.
      0 Not allowed!

Whatever the moderators think is best for the board I have to respect. After all, they are the moderators.

My only reservation, which has been raised here by a number of people is on the dedicated/co-lo requests forum. Dedicated servers, to some extent, but especially Co-lo is a VERY customized venture. Sure you can post a per U price and a per Mbit price, but some people have DC power requirements, VLAN requirements, custom firewalls, etc... things that can't be addresses by browsing through offers.

I've answered offers from people who had very specific needs, or very specific requirements that were looking for in a company.

"And that's all I have to say about that."

Aaron
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by WII-Aaron
    Whatever the moderators think is best for the board I have to respect. After all, they are the moderators.

My only reservation, which has been raised here by a number of people is on the dedicated/co-lo requests forum. Dedicated servers, to some extent, but especially Co-lo is a VERY customized venture. Sure you can post a per U price and a per Mbit price, but some people have DC power requirements, VLAN requirements, custom firewalls, etc... things that can't be addresses by browsing through offers.

I've answered offers from people who had very specific needs, or very specific requirements that were looking for in a company.

"And that's all I have to say about that."

Aaron
    Your points are valid, Aaron. However, wouldn't it work out equally well that you post an ad. They see your ad. Then for special requirements they contact you via email or other means or if they simply have a question about what is included, they pose it in the thread. The advantage in my opinion would be that you first post with information about your services, rather than getting lost in a thread responding with dozens who are playing let's make a deal and also competing with all the pm's going to the requesters. Just food for thought.
      0 Not allowed!

Thumbs up

Good job mods
    Stacie | Administrator
    OxygenShell
    IRC Accounts | ShoutCast | Dedicated Servers | Quality Web Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

I propose a race around the world to determine the answer!

It begins now!
    Website, Artwork, Me ~ [ http://cerebrolabs.deviantart.com ]
      0 Not allowed!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast