Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    The fact remains that these forums account for 1/6 of WHT. If you remove them other forums may become cluttered with request for certain services. It also nearly amounts to 25% of the topics overall on WHT. We know that WHT is not an advertising convention, but you must admit it has had a pretty good size impact on the community. I like to post offers once and a while and thats great, but if you take it down I will have to look for other hosting boards to post it. I hope you make some considerations on the comments we make.
    1/6 of WHT? I consider value in quality, not quantity, so I'd say they are closer to 1/100th of WHT. And if the other forums get cluttered with requests that don't belong there, we can always make Mathew (Prohacker) mod down there in addition to his massive quantity of work . Will it make an impact on overall post count, yes. Will it make an impact on overall quality, probably, but in a good way. Besides, there are litterally THOUSANDS of places you can go to make requests and/or search on hosts (I personally recommend findmyhosting.com). I think all opinions were taken into consideration some time ago. If anything, there have been complaints on how long it's taken to come to this decision.
    A well-reasoned assumption is very close to fact.
    - Adorno
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by CrazyTech
    You still have the people offering the incredible amounts though. Just take a look at the current 2nd topic in the forum... 40 GB Transfer for $6.45/month...1st topic: 25 GB transfer $11/month.

People are going to low ball prices anywhere. My point is either get rid of em' all or leave em' all there. Getting rid of just a few of them doesn't do all that much in terms of relieving the problem.
    I think this goes back to baby steps. Just mass-deleting the advertising forums would have a very negative effect on the forums (in terms of members leaving). Removing just a few at a time, will allow the admins to test it and the members to become accustom to actually discussion as opposed to advertising. I think we all need to realize that making a rash decision, or a rather heavy handed one is never a good idea. Especially when you consider the size of WHT.

And I tend to disagree that removing part of the problem won't help at least. Take city pollution as an example (since I consider the advertising forums "polluted" with garbage). If you set higher restrictions on industrial companies, it will at least help the problem, but deciding to make polluting at all illegal, would destory a city. Taking one step at a time is always the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Jones
    Maybe the offers section should stay then if your having problems in the request forums. It could be moved under the Related Offers and Requests forum. It could be a subcategory like employment. I also think the website and graphics forum should be main a forum, but rather a sub-category.
    The only "offers" forum that's disappearing is the "free offers". Hosts are still welcome to make free hosting offers, every seven days in the hosting offers forum.
    A well-reasoned assumption is very close to fact.
    - Adorno
      0 Not allowed!

Theres a lot of negativity here - so I want to throw in a..

Good going Moderators! I whole heartedly support your decision - this is a webhostingTALK community and I have the same stance as Rochen - Advertising forums are a BONUS.

If we lose a lot of members because of killing the advertising forums - we have to stop and think, were they really "members" in the first place!?

Good Job Guys!

(although subscription based advertising was a good idea as well)
      0 Not allowed!

I think this goes back to baby steps. Just mass-deleting the advertising forums would have a very negative effect on the forums (in terms of members leaving). Removing just a few at a time, will allow the admins to test it and the members to become accustom to actually discussion as opposed to advertising. I think we all need to realize that making a rash decision, or a rather heavy handed one is never a good idea. Especially when you consider the size of WHT.
    A negative effect is going to take place either way. It may or may not be the lesser of two evils. Not everyone is going to be happy with what you do. That's a given.

As for a heavy-handed decision, that's already been made in this case. Removing these forums with two days notice and closing all new topics immediately is just going to result in an increase in the offers forum and a loss of a few members (which is going to happen no matter what).

And I tend to disagree that removing part of the problem won't help at least. Take city pollution as an example (since I consider the advertising forums "polluted" with garbage). If you set higher restrictions on industrial companies, it will at least help the problem, but deciding to make polluting at all illegal, would destory a city. Taking one step at a time is always the best choice.
    Great analogy, but this is not a city and conditions here are different. Removing all of the forums shouldn't greatly affect a business that much. If it does, I would be a concerned company.

Factories are vital to a city. Members are in fact vital to a forum, but closing down that part of the forum as a whole is not going to remove that many members. It's really just about the same amount that are being removed in the other forums, because many that post in offers post in the requests forum as well.
      0 Not allowed!

A negative effect is going to take place either way. It may or may not be the lesser of two evils. Not everyone is going to be happy with what you do. That's a given.

As for a heavy-handed decision, that's already been made in this case. Removing these forums with two days notice and closing all new topics immediately is just going to result in an increase in the offers forum and a loss of a few members (which is going to happen no matter what).
    You're absolutely correct, there is no way to know. The only option is to test one way first, and see how things work.

I sincerely doubt it's a coincidence that our Guides/Liaisons are being selected directly before this decision. WHT will enjoy better moderation, so if anything members may see a decrease of "advertising" in the other forums.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTech
    Great analogy, but this is not a city and conditions here are different. Removing all of the forums shouldn't greatly affect a business that much. If it does, I would be a concerned company.
    Although the conditions are somewhat different, there are a lot of likenesses between WHT and a city. It's a community of different people, with different backgrounds and more importantly, different reasons for being here.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTech
    Factories are vital to a city. Members are in fact vital to a forum, but closing down that part of the forum as a whole is not going to remove that many members. It's really just about the same amount that are being removed in the other forums, because many that post in offers post in the requests forum as well.
    You may be right. I've never ran a forum anywhere NEAR the size of WHT, so I can't really estimate the outcome of one choice or another, but I've always found taking things slowly, so people have a chance to migrate is generally the best option. I certainly can't promise anything, but hopefully this does have some good effect, if not I'll definately give you props for seeing it coming .
      0 Not allowed!

I've been wanting and pushing for this move for some time now and am as happy as can be that it is coming to be.

The closing of the requests forums are not going to really do anything to negatively impact WHT. We'll still see the same people posting and *contributing* to this forum. The people that hang out down there in the sludge pits we never see elsewhere on the board anyway.

What I do expect to see is a new influx of recommendation threads in the regular forums, however those are generally pretty easy to spot when a host is trying to recommend their own services.

Only thing I have to say to the bottom feeding folks is Perhaps it is time to rethink your business plan and stop thinking that you can actually run a company for lunch money.

It's not just about removing a headache from WHT. It is also about protecting consumers from the hosts that aren't able to make it in the "real world". They may find the bottom feeders elsewhere, but why open up the largest site dedicated to hosting for such people? We cannot help what goes on in other places, but we can at least make our own home respectable.
    www.square-network.com www.squarenetwork.com
    Now available in regular and dehyphenated.
    May 2003 Member of the Month
    Useless Community Liason Ever Since.
      0 Not allowed!

I think it is a good idea. You did see nothing but bid wars. Guys would throw out I need 60 gig of bandwidth and 1 gig of space and the first few would be for like 30 bucks then the next 20 would be like 5 to 10 bucks! lol I like the idea, GJ
    Now open for your business!....
    Four Corners Hosting.com | Your kinda hosting company!
      0 Not allowed!

Just one last thing and I will quit.

4/6 forums removed is a baby step?
      0 Not allowed!

Looks like 4/16 from here.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Just one last thing and I will quit.

4/6 forums removed is a baby step?
    Yes, because I don’t believe it truly represents that level of the ‘true community’.
      0 Not allowed!

Looks like 4/16 from here.
    4/6 Hosting forums. Now am I politicaly correct to the point where everyone understands me? Sheesh.

*Edit: Removed statement that may have been incorrect. Perhaps I took things the wrong way.
    Last edited by CrazyTech; 11-24-2003 at 08:12 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

I've been around for a while and I don't open my mouth unless I think something is pretty important. (And I have the postcount to prove it )

I'd just like to say that I totally agree with removing the Shared and Reseller hosting offers and requests forums.

I'd like to see us keep the dedicated offers forum, and keep the employment and related offers and request forums. I believe that these forums truly provide an important service to this site and to the webhosting community.
      0 Not allowed!

You don't have to be so rude about things.
    Just wanted to point out that I didn't read it as rude, just a clarification based on the number of actual forums, in total.

-David
    Ion Web Services/TronicTech
    http://www.ion-web.com or Unsupported webhosting?!?
    Shared hosting, Reseller accounts, Dedicated Servers, and More
    Proudly hosting since 2002
      0 Not allowed!

I did, perhaps I took it the wrong way, but sometimes I get the feeling you don't agree with the crowd and you're wrong. I think everyone knew what I meant by 4/6 forums. I know that there are others, but these don't quite as directly have the influence with these "problem" hosts as the soon to be removed 4.
      0 Not allowed!

You still have the people offering the incredible amounts though. Just take a look at the current 2nd topic in the forum... 40 GB Transfer for $6.45/month...1st topic: 25 GB transfer $11/month.

People are going to low ball prices anywhere. My point is either get rid of em' all or leave em' all there. Getting rid of just a few of them doesn't do all that much in terms of relieving the problem.
    I believe that's also referred to as a slippery slope fallacy. While it may seem like they're not addressing all of the issues, to demand that it's all or none is a win for no one.

Just my 2 cents.

Kurt
      0 Not allowed!

Perhaps. I hope that this move does have a positive impact. Perhaps it will deter enough of the problem to move them away to the other forums.
      0 Not allowed!

Thumbs up

Glad to see the change.
      0 Not allowed!

Don't mind about the forums, but it will take forever to make back my 30 or so posts.
      0 Not allowed!

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=210325

Read this That was insane.

I'm definitely cool with the idea but there might be some negative impacts on the site. Hope it won't be anything major.
      0 Not allowed!

Unhappy nuts :-(

I think the forums were a certain asset to WHT .
    If you were having problems moderating them , you could have simply asked for more moderators .
    While I do agree WHT will survive without the forums , there is not much of a reason to let them go .
    The post seems to suggest that the decision is final , so I wont go on any further.
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah, way to step on anyone trying to get started in the business, all you over-priced giants can pat yourselves on the back now.
    Bayouspace Hosting
    Reliable, Full Featured cPanel Shared Hosting, with REAL 24/7 SUPPORT
    Established 11/2009, WHT member since 2003
    http://www.bayouspace.com
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by pixetech
    Yeah, way to step on anyone trying to get started in the business, all you over-priced giants can pat yourselves on the back now.
    A host shouldn't base his/her entire business on a single market. If the iNet people wanted, they could shut all of WHT down tomorrow - it's in your best interest to diversify yourself advertising-wise. Think of this as an opportunity to do so.

Just my opinion, again.

-David
    Ion Web Services/TronicTech
    http://www.ion-web.com or Unsupported webhosting?!?
    Shared hosting, Reseller accounts, Dedicated Servers, and More
    Proudly hosting since 2002
      0 Not allowed!

It seems that those established hosts are the ones crying that they cannot beat the prices of the newer ones, well guess what? that's life! It's called interprise!

If I pay $20 a month for 15GB and 250GB B/W, then I can very well sell 1GB of space for $10 a month and be profitable doing it.

If the larger companies can't, then they need to quit crying and do something to draw people to their higher prices, and leave the lower priced hosts alone.
    Bayouspace Hosting
    Reliable, Full Featured cPanel Shared Hosting, with REAL 24/7 SUPPORT
    Established 11/2009, WHT member since 2003
    http://www.bayouspace.com
      0 Not allowed!

There are many web hosting forums in which people can make requests, and providers can post offers. If the moderators feel that this isn't right for WHT, so be it. While it's great that people have opinons both for or against the idea, as someone said, the forums are closed, they will be removed in two days. I think this is an announcement more than anything.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken
      0 Not allowed!

IF WHT is removing this, I am buying a dedicated box to return these threads on a different community / forum, maybe creating that will allow the markets to move elsewhere, but some to my new board (If I make one).

I will miss these boards, even though its has reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      0 Not allowed!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast