Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Why

Originally posted by jroy
    Why are you deleting those forums?

You will lose a lot of people because of this. Those forums are valueble to this site. Hosting companies won't be able to post special offers or people wont be able to make hosting requests.

Please think about keeping those forums, or i will never post here again.

Thank you,
    No offense, but you haven't even been here a month. And you'll notice that the majority that agree with the decision have been here some time. To even further the issue, you've posted here 14 times, 10 of which in the advertising forums, so the majority of your posting here has been complete self-interest. Although this may offend some members to the point of leaving the community, I sincerely doubt many of them will have made a very large contribution to the communtiy.
    A well-reasoned assumption is very close to fact.
    - Adorno
      0 Not allowed!

I would've rather seen the forums go to a monthly fee for the privledge of posting, but I'm happy with them being removed entirely as well.
      0 Not allowed!

Well it will for sure hurt new businesses but it is a good move. Takes some guts to do a action like this. I just feel for the new companies that where legit posting going to hurt them. Now I just need to protect my e-mail box as I am sure the spammers are gonna go one last time
      0 Not allowed!

The request section was excellent for new businesses. Where else is there a better place to get your name and URL out? Everything must come to an end, right? Time to create new a marketing plan,

However, I support this move. Not only is this best for WHT, it will be the ebst for the web hosting community as a whole. I see this promoting a higher level of service across the industry. (maybe that's a far fetch, but maybe... )

Originally posted by nukehelpers
    Well it will for sure hurt new businesses but it is a good move. Takes some guts to do a action like this. I just feel for the new companies that where legit posting going to hurt them. Now I just need to protect my e-mail box as I am sure the spammers are gonna go one last time
      0 Not allowed!

What happens to people that bought advertising stickies in the advertising forums?
    I contacted iNet because I wanted to buy a sticky 2 days ago and was told tehy are booked up until December, now Im wondering what is going to happen to people that booked it?
    is the money just going to be refunded?
    John Diver
    CanaryHotspot.com - Canary Island forum and information
    InternationalChatForum.com - International Travel Chat Forum and information
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Custom-Hosting
    What happens to people that bought advertising stickies in the advertising forums?
    I contacted iNet because I wanted to buy a sticky 2 days ago and was told tehy are booked up until December, now Im wondering what is going to happen to people that booked it?
    is the money just going to be refunded?
    Guess I'm missing something, but the only forum that had advertising which has been removed is "free offers" and I didn't see anyone purchasing stickies there anyway.
      0 Not allowed!

The requests forums are leaveing... the offers forum will remain.

I agree, that it's a bold move to remove them, but something had to be done.
      0 Not allowed!

Splendid idea, Maybe it's time for someone to start WebHosting Requests
    2HostMe European Webhosting and Reseller plans

Something had to be done, but this two days notice is plain crap IMHO. Now instead of multiple forums full of problems, you're cramming it all into one and throwing people into the other forums. Goodluck with this move, you're really going to need it guys and gals.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: 'Requests' and 'Free' Forums

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    We will be removing the following Forums on Wednesday, November 26th.

Shared and Reseller Hosting Requests
    Dedicated and Colo Hosting Requests
    Free or Sponsored Hosting Offers
    Free or Sponsored Hosting Requests

You are encouraged to finish any business you have within them now.

There will be no further new threads.
    I respect WHT's decision (along with the Mods), but I doubt removing these forums will do any good, as you might be seeing even more spamming / fake praises / recommendations going on in the other forums
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: 'Requests' and 'Free' Forums

Originally posted by Hoobastank68
    I respect WHT's decision (along with the Mods), but I doubt removing these forums will do any good, as you might be seeing even more spamming / fake praises / recommendations going on in the other forums
    Just remember that little report post button!
      0 Not allowed!

I don't think it would be a wise idea to remove them. I mean there is quite a few people who post in there. Where are we to make free request or offers? I must say once people become aware of WHT removing these boards expect alot of Private Messages wanting them back.
    Kerry Jones
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: Re: 'Requests' and 'Free' Forums

Originally posted by Odd Fact
    Just remember that little report post button!
    I'll be sure to keep that in mind
    But sometimes it'll be hard to catch the *Criminal*
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...
      0 Not allowed!

Not at WHT
    Last edited by Rochen; 11-24-2003 at 06:54 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Actually Rochen; you can still make free offers in the offers forum. (once per 7 days)

You can also advertise in your sig (provided it fits the rules)
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Rochen
    Not at WHT.
    I'm wondering have you made an announcement in other forums about this decision? I would really love to see the feedback on such a medium-size decision.
    Kerry Jones
      0 Not allowed!

I am not seeing the logic at all here. By not removing all of the problem forums, exactly what is WHT planning to accomplish? I understand that WHT wants to attempt and rid themselves of the problem, but why not get rid of all of them, instead of leaving one forum. Now the problem posters that you had in the other forums are simply moving to the Offers forum. IMHO you've done nothing but rid yourself of a few forums to moderate and not really done that much to target the "problem".
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by CrazyTech
    I am not seeing the logic at all here. By not removing all of the problem forums, exactly what is WHT planning to accomplish? I understand that WHT wants to attempt and rid themselves of the problem, but why not get rid of all of them, instead of leaving one forum. Now the problem posters that you had in the other forums are simply moving to the Offers forum. IMHO you've done nothing but rid yourself of a few forums to moderate and not really done that much to target the "problem".
    I think we're working with the theory of baby steps.....make small changes - see what each of those changes do, and then work from there.
      0 Not allowed!

Just to add...

This is a community, a great community, the world’s largest web hosting community. It is not an advertising convention.

The advertising forums are just an added bonus and in my opinion do not form part of what I would call the ‘core structure’ of this community.

Any decision which relates to things such as the advertising forums comes second to the community. The requests forums and free hosting forums were degrading the value of this community.

We as the guardians on this community will always act in the best interests of the community and that’s what has happened here today.

0 Not allowed!

Domain Name: HOSTINGREQUESTS.COM
    Created on: 16-Dec-01
    Expires on: 16-Dec-03
    Last Updated on: 12-Dec-02
    Darn it, I was soooo going to register that one
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!
      0 Not allowed!

I think we're working with the theory of baby steps.....make small changes - see what each of those changes do, and then work from there.
    Well I suppose one could say there is some logic there, however I don't see too much, but that is just my opinion on this case. I just think the only thing coming out of this will be an increase in posts in the Offers forum. I forsee that forum becoming a madhouse personally in the near future. I feel for the mods having to look over that soon-to-be beast.
      0 Not allowed!

The fact remains that these forums account for 1/6 of WHT. If you remove them other forums may become cluttered with request for certain services. It also nearly amounts to 25% of the topics overall on WHT. We know that WHT is not an advertising convention, but you must admit it has had a pretty good size impact on the community. I like to post offers once and a while and thats great, but if you take it down I will have to look for other hosting boards to post it. I hope you make some considerations on the comments we make.
    Kerry Jones
      0 Not allowed!

When someone posted a request it sometimes turned into a bidding war... The first few offers might sound good but then it would go down hill because people were low balling to win more or less..

In the offers section you don't have as much bidding going on...
      0 Not allowed!

You still have the people offering the incredible amounts though. Just take a look at the current 2nd topic in the forum... 40 GB Transfer for $6.45/month...1st topic: 25 GB transfer $11/month.

People are going to low ball prices anywhere. My point is either get rid of em' all or leave em' all there. Getting rid of just a few of them doesn't do all that much in terms of relieving the problem.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by The Prohacker
    When someone posted a request it sometimes turned into a bidding war... The first few offers might sound good but then it would go down hill because people were low balling to win more or less..

Maybe the offers section should stay then if your having problems in the request forums. It could be moved under the Related Offers and Requests forum. It could be a subcategory like employment. I also think the website and graphics forum should be main a forum, but rather a sub-category.
    Kerry Jones
      0 Not allowed!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast