Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910
    I'll need it
      0 Not allowed!

Just a reminder to the two who posted your forums, that we have rules in place here.
      0 Not allowed!

I bet there have been at least 50 new forums started in the last couple of days!
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Mrdredd
    I'll need it

You might need to get permission to use the name WHT in your site name
      0 Not allowed!

Is WHT a trademark?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by The Prohacker
    I doubt "WHT" is trademarked

I knew what I was doing when I reged it - I dont mention the actual WebHostingTalk forums anywhere

Hopefully iNet will be kind enough not to cause a stir over it though.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by The Prohacker
    nah, they can't copyright or trademark the letters WHT.

Otherwise that'd be like me trademarking the letters OK, saying it stood for something. And yes, that's straight from an attorney. I asked one I work with after the whole #wht thing.
      0 Not allowed!

I just noticed this topic...what was I on .

I think this is the best...no the smartest move that WHT has made. Finally QUALITY hosting will beat the quantity or at least get the advantage back . I'm soo happy and finally more quality hosting talk =D.
    PingPros LLC | International Network Consultant & Internet Service Provider
    Cisco, Juniper, Extreme, BGP, OSPF, Windows, Linux, and Mac Consulting services | Internet Service Provider
    High Quality Services at a very competitive price!
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by inogenius
    nah, they can't copyright or trademark the letters WHT.

Otherwise that'd be like me trademarking the letters OK, saying it stood for something. And yes, that's straight from an attorney. I asked one I work with after the whole #wht thing.
    Wow... AOL is going to be really pissed, I mean, there attorneys, and the people at the Trademark and Patent Office don't have a clue .
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by comphosting
    Wow... AOL is going to be really pissed, I mean, there attorneys, and the people at the Trademark and Patent Office don't have a clue .
    hmmmm ... that's true. I'm going to have to him about that.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by barko
    I bet there have been at least 50 new forums started in the last couple of days!
    Want to take bets on how many won't resolve in 90 days. When RS bought this place, I'd guess there were 25 new web hosting forums created. Many of the owners were web hosts who wanted me to moderate at their forum. To them, it somehow mande sense that I'd join them at their forum. I don't know why, but I was told by one person they were serious and they offered to PayPal me $50 to prove it.
    Originally posted by anon-e-mouse
    Just a reminder to the two who posted your forums, that we have rules in place here.
    Three now, and only 22 to go.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by forumgp
    I moved my site 5 times this year and always use Request forum to find new host and pay less for hosting my site
    Anyone see the irony in this statement?

If the request forums were a good thing, you would have only needed one host.
    www.square-network.com www.squarenetwork.com
    Now available in regular and dehyphenated.
    May 2003 Member of the Month
    Useless Community Liason Ever Since.
      0 Not allowed!

Well I read most of the post here up to page 14 i think?

Now I am new to this forum and often wondered how so many people could make offers so low but hey thats what the free enterprise is all about I guess.

Now what i have noticed is that the higher end host here had fits over it? Why?

You claim to have better service and greater support that makes you the best choice. Well I cant argue that point seeing how I have never used any of your services. But what I do see is this leading to a clique site. I see the same people recomending the same provider no matter what is asked for.

Also to call someone a bottom dweller just because they have a plan that is not to your standards is a little childish in my view.

I still see that WHT will have information that will be of value but I also see a campaign to keep others out of a business that some feel they are the only ones qualified to run.

Well times have changed. The market has changed so I believe that the idea to remove those forums are not the answer to a problem just an answer to shut the doors for an elite group to keep competitors out. As you can see there are mixed signs here from the members.

Now as for me I have no intention to compete with the big guys. If I did the clients that I have would not be staying as they just like a large part of the market are not looking to pay for a big office for me nor a big advertiseing campaign.

These are not bottom dwellers as I see them called here they are ligit small businesses that want to take the step to the www. market but do not want to pay a high price for a site but are willing to make adjustments as the years go by to suite their needs.

So my structure is set for that smaller business that is looking for a helping hand not a hand out but also not a provider that is trying to get rich off just their account.

Ok with all that said do I care if the forums are closed? No

Do i think it will make much difference in the Hosting market? well No again

Some people who are looking to find a host will still find WHT useful, Those who were looking for a good deal will find it less freindly for their use and go else where which is their choice.

As for me I will still continue to read the post and gather information. I will post on the topics that I feel that I can be useful the rest I will hold my tounge and move on to the next topic. (that is after this post)

Good luck with the move and only time will tell if it helps or not.

*picks up his soap box and leaves the stage*
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Chicken
    . . . I don't know why, but I was told by one person they were serious and they offered to PayPal me $50 to prove it . . .
    You were obviously dealing with a heavy hitter, when they whipped out the 50 bucks from PayPal.

WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Coach
    Anyone see the irony in this statement?

If the request forums were a good thing, you would have only needed one host.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    You were obviously dealing with a heavy hitter, when they whipped out the 50 bucks from PayPal.

Anyone wanna hire me for $50?

Anyone?????

<crickets>

Ion Web Services/TronicTech
    http://www.ion-web.com or Unsupported webhosting?!?
    Shared hosting, Reseller accounts, Dedicated Servers, and More
    Proudly hosting since 2002
      0 Not allowed!

Wow... up to 16 pages for something so trivial...

And you know, I can't wait to go over to one of the other sites to request hosting and have 10 people offer 500 mb, 30 gb trans and everything else for $2.95 per month... with first 2 months free.

Give me a break.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!
      0 Not allowed!

Hey, I believe I have the dubious honor of starting up the last active thread in the Shared Hosting Resquest Forum. Nice to see all you web hosts who think I'm a naive newbie for doing so.

Y'know, looking over the replies I got in the request forum and contrasting them with the searches I've done on the web and on Usenet I have to say that, even if some of the offers were bull, the remainder of those offers will likely prove invaluable to me in getting the exact package I need for my particular site.

I see people here saying that consumers can just go and research host's web sites and talk to them via email and set up custom packages but who has time to find 20 or 30 hosts that have something like what you need, somewhere near your price points, contact them via email of phone, go back and forth with requests and offers and then finally make a decision? That entire process can be handled in a few hours on the request forum as opposed to a few months of private searching.

Better than that, it all happens in the open, at a forum full of people who know the industry and know legit from crap. You guys don't need to kill this resource you need to support it more. You expensive "get what you pay for" hosts should get in there and make offers as well. Tout your legitimate business standing as a selling point.

Don't be like the types that take your businesses out of the inner-city and then complain that there's no real businesses in the inner-city.

In the end I don't know if this change is truly motivated by the misguided (IMHO) altruism of the mods or by pressure from the new site owners to cut down on the free networking and advertising being utilized by competing hosts on the request forums. However I do believe that this change is not in the best interest of the consumers and forum regulars who relied on this site for help in finding a web host.
      0 Not allowed!

O well I lost my playground. Not that I really used it for much of anything anyway. Hope you guys are almost done with those mod apps and bravo, this change was long overdue.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?
      0 Not allowed!

NecroSocial, sorry to burst your bubble, but WHT is not here so people can find a host. It's a community of hosts and users alike who use it to discuss webhosting in a meaningful manner.

The Requests and Offers forums are just an addon that is abused by fraudsters and it already requires more support than it deserves. The majority of people that post there don't give a damn about WHT so why we should WHT help them?

I suggested the whole section be removed many months ago. This is a great move forward for WHT as a community. Sure, it might make people post for more info in the real forums....but that is what WHT is for anyway.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.
      0 Not allowed!

Well.. I think this thread has ran its course.. I'm sure their will be an equally huge thread once I remove the forums and redo post counts
      0 Not allowed!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910