Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Starting Web Hosting Company !!!

Hi all,

I want to start a web hosting of mine.I checked everywhere and got good quotes from HostDime.com on the reseller pacakage.

Please tell me how to go further. Tell me all the things i need to start this buisness. If i sell accounts how i can recieve money and all.

What should be basic space to start the buisness with.And if someone has more good offers then please let me know.

<<< Signatures need to be set up in your profile. >>>
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 11-30-2003 at 09:24 AM.

I don't want to be rude or anything, so please don't take this as that - but if you're asking these questions it doesn't sound like you're 'ready' to be a web hosting provider. I'd suggest that you read through this forum for a while - all of these questions have been/are covered.

Do some searching on payment processors here, check out merchant accounts if you want to go that route, look at some of the available billing software, all that stuff.

That's my reccomendation - if you do more searching here you'll be better prepared for making decisions about starting up.

-David
    Ion Web Services/TronicTech
    http://www.ion-web.com or Unsupported webhosting?!?
    Shared hosting, Reseller accounts, Dedicated Servers, and More
    Proudly hosting since 2002

Vjay,
    Like thedavid mentioned, many of the FAQs of starting and running a hosting company can be found simply by doing a search using the search tool.

Also, it might be of some interest to you to read this thread: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=207298

Good luck!
    Mitty Chang, Managing Partner & Lead Designer
    MightyMitty Design Studios
    mightymitty.com

You have my wishes too mate !

Well i read all your comments. Thanx for providing such valuable information and thanx for the best wishes.Hey i already started it and ready . Can i post about it here on this forums ???

<<< Not here. No. Perhaps you would like to visit the Guidelines Page. >>
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 11-30-2003 at 09:23 AM.

Payment Processor ( ex. Paysystems )
    Billing Software ( ex. ClientExec )
    Business License ( check out bizfilings.com, it will run around $300 )
    Staff ( Can you answer all the questions youself? )
    Server ( Are you getting a dedicated? Is it managed? Do you need to manage it? Can you? )
    Reseller ( If not a server, then this. If you need software installed like IonCube, will they? Will the company answer your questions and all? )

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Have fun.

Please don't advertise your site, this is known as self-promotion and violates the Forum Rules

Unbelievable . . . why are you encouraging this guy ?

No offence to the original poster but he obviously hasn't a clue what he's doing, all that is ahead is lost money and heartache for any customers that he does manage to pick up.

And people wonder why the hosting industry has a bad reputation.

Another clueless host

His site says upgrading his site and server.

Redirects to a design forum.

He hasn't the foggiest idea what he's doing.

He asks for advice, but has ignored it in advance.

He can't even read and follow simple board rules.

Blame it on Fantastico!

Re: Another clueless host

Originally posted by Incognito

Lol guys i am not promoting my forums Here so why u visit my forums page thats in my signature. All i need Is help. If i break any rule then iAM SORRY AND IF U WANT U CAN CLOSE THIS POST. i THOUGHT I WOULD GET SOME HELP SO I ASKED MY QUESTIONS HERE.

Re: Another clueless host

Originally posted by Incognito

I have to admit, you are in the wrong partially at this point Incognito. If you had seen his post from the beginning, you'd see that his webhosting website is totally different to his normal website which says it is being upgraded and what have you.

The only reason why so many new "kid/clueless" webhosts start up is due to reseller accounts, and the reseller accounts being so cheap that people think they can make some quick cash - without realising the heartache for the clients, the hassle and all the pain and problems it can cause in the end.

Plus it will tarnished the web hosting industry as a whole

Originally posted by ozzie123
    Plus it will tarnished the web hosting industry as a whole
    Hasn't the industry already be tarnished??

I have to agree there - the current state the webhosting industry business is in is awful. You constantly see new webhosts open up and then close down immediately - this alone ruins daily the webhosting business.

It is best when all newbie webhosts go to consultancy and whathave you companies to learn about the ways of the trade. There are many consultancy companies I know of that could do this for the newbie host.

I think it is important for newbie hosts to go to a consultancy company and see what they say - they're very cheap I've found and cost from $40/half hour and upwards - you learn a lot and understand a lot more and can really see whether you're doing the right thing or not.

The reason why the webhosting business is as it is, is because people do not realise things - because they do not go to consultancy companies and ask questions and have professional advice... they simply jump straight in.

Its easier to spend money on a crappy webhost over the internet, then to buy something from a crappy business in real life, also its cheaper to try and fail with resellers, Im doing alot of research until I am ready. since I am looking more long term then the almighty short dollar

That's very good Emzec - it's a lot better to be prepaired and willing to learn, so you're able to do well in the long run and still be there in the future. The only problem, as said over and over again - is many people do not realise how much hassle, and how hard it is to become a webhost, they don't realise that it is difficult, they all think it's easy and due to the resellers offering such cheap plans, they don't care about waisting a few dollars here or there as long as in the end they make a quick buck; which is totally wrong.

It is a lot better, to actually research it, find out information on it, and ask other people and other companies for help and information - now what is somewhat wrong and depressing is when some people say that you shouldn't bother and so on - this can make you think "to hell with learning, I'm just going to jump in" and possibly other thoughts. It really helps when the people/community you ask for help is positive all the time and is always helpful, kind and polite - that can really set someone on the right track to really learn hard and possibly produce a very good and long lasting webhost. Remember, people are more likely and willing to learn/listen when you're kind and polite, not when one is rude and aggressive.

Originally posted by Anjay
    I have to agree there - the current state the webhosting industry business is in is awful. You constantly see new webhosts open up and then close down immediately - this alone ruins daily the webhosting business.
    Since when was the Hosting Industry in an awful mess? Sure, you have "fly by night's" but that doesn't mean that the entire industry is in an awful mess. If i open up an indian restaurant in a desert, and it fails horribly, does that mean the "Indian Restaurant Industry" is in an awful mess?

No, what it does mean, is I have no business sense, and therefore have no place opening up an Indian Restaurant at all.

Think about the above logically, and you'll see my point. WHT is by no means the "norm" for the hosting industry, and whilst it seems that's where a lot of the "fly by nights" stem from, steps are now in place to combat that, with the dilution of the "Requests Forum".

The industry on a whole, is in great shape, with more and more people requiring Web Hosting, of all varieties, every day, so to say it's in an awful mess, based on a few Kid's/Bad business men, is a little over the top.
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

Or you can be like me and ask too many questions, to the point where people start ignoring you.

Originally posted by DanX
    Or you can be like me and ask too many questions, to the point where people start ignoring you.
    I noticed that

He probably didn't answer, simply because he had no idea of the answers, not because you're annoying
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

Originally posted by IHSL
    Since when was the Hosting Industry in an awful mess? Sure, you have "fly by night's" but that doesn't mean that the entire industry is in an awful mess. If i open up an indian restaurant in a desert, and it fails horribly, does that mean the "Indian Restaurant Industry" is in an awful mess?

No, what it does mean, is I have no business sense, and therefore have no place opening up an Indian Restaurant at all.

Think about the above logically, and you'll see my point. WHT is by no means the "norm" for the hosting industry, and whilst it seems that's where a lot of the "fly by nights" stem from, steps are now in place to combat that, with the dilution of the "Requests Forum".

The industry on a whole, is in great shape, with more and more people requiring Web Hosting, of all varieties, every day, so to say it's in an awful mess, based on a few Kid's/Bad business men, is a little over the top.
    Well said.

The fact that there are idiots, fly-by-nighters, weekend weenies, etc. does not discredit the industry.

A drunk who tries to fly a plane with no training and then crashes, does not mean that the entire airline industry is invalid or that the airport is to blame or even the equipment.

The drunks who try to fly with no training are invalid.

there are crappy business owners in all industries, ever go to a fast food place and it just tasted like crap, service was bad, and the bathrooms reaked of well, ya know.

point is them places will close, all types of industry follow the same patterns, when it comes to growth, demand, supply, etc. and it always comes down to survival of the fittest. otherwise alot of people here wouldnt have nearly as much time to post heh

Re: Re: Another clueless host

Originally posted by Anjay

The only reason why so many new "kid/clueless" webhosts start up is due to reseller accounts, and the reseller accounts being so cheap that people think they can make some quick cash - without realising the heartache for the clients, the hassle and all the pain and problems it can cause in the end.

I don't think I'd blame it on the cheap reseller accounts, but maybe the hosts who THINK they know everything about running a business, managing a server, and managing their clientele. My company will go above and beyond the call of duty to help a reseller succeed. It is up to the reseller to provide the necessary communication to their clientele though.

If anything I'd blame it on incompetent hosts that think they KNOW how to run a business, manage a server, and manage their cleintele. Heck, I'll even blame it on the slick hosting templates that you can pick up for 30+ bucks.

hey guys where it is taking shape.you are discussing something else.i asked something else ok i started my site for hosting.

now i just need good billing system for it. can anyone help.

There is so many new webhost because:
    1. when people see reseller hosting plan and see the text "be your own host" , they think it will be very cool to own a hosting company and earn some money.
    2. the control panels make it easy to start a hosting comppany, you don't really need much linux/unix experiences.
    3. I don't know.

-I know what you knew-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast