hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Colocation and Data Centers : ServerMatrix co-lo

Forum Jump

ServerMatrix co-lo

Reply Post New Thread In Colocation and Data Centers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Master

ServerMatrix co-lo

If you look at their website (www.servermatrix.com) you'll notice all these great deals for dedicated servers. But when you look at their prices for co-location..it's a complete difference. The cheapest only gives you 100 gigs of bandwidth and even that is $50 a month. $200 for 400 gigs of bandwidth. If you rent a server you get 1000 gigs of bandwidth for much less.

Normally, shouldn't co-locating be cheaper overall? They don't have to really setup your box or do anything special with it. You just send it to them, they hook it up and that's it.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Guru

The large bandwidth allotments given to dedicated servers are sales gimmicks. Those who use colocation usually understand their "true" need for bandwidth, which usually isn't as high.

Richard

Old
Will Host for Food

Colo customers are generally much more exacting in their requirements, and also much more realistic in their expectations.

Because of that what you tend to see are "real" prices for colo , not unsustainable pricing & outright lies for dedicated servers

UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Ahh thanks. Was just wondering why there was such a huge price difference

Old
Web Hosting Master

Well I guess you already got your answer Normally I would think that people who are colocating go BiG like a half a rack or sometimes even a full rack so they have a BiG bandwidth pool

Old
WHT Addict

The 1000 gigs for dedicated server is a bit of an oversale. 99.9% of their customers won't use anywhere near 1000 gigs, so they can offer it to them all. But a colo generally uses its entire bandwidth allotment, so they can't play the same balance game.

Old
Web Hosting Master

I guess i'm an exception as I have 1 box that uses 700-800 gigs of bandwidth a month and another that uses 400-500 gigs of bandwidth a month and i'm moving the applications running on those servers to SM. I'll make good use of that bandwidth ^_^

Old
Web Hosting Master

1stStrike,

Now consider all the other customers that are only using say 300 gigs (MAX).

I believe its the same sort of deal with anyone offering COlO and Dedicated servers. I think a good example were the guys at DV2.

You can oversell dedicated much more easier.. and they have a AUP that you may not effect the network by blah blah blah so if you did use up more what they expected, they can always cut you off.

Regards
Phillip

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted