hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Colocation and Data Centers : Building a tower server

Forum Jump

Building a tower server

Reply Post New Thread In Colocation and Data Centers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2003, 03:48 PM
Taking a break from hosting

Building a tower server

I'm looking to build a reliable mid-tower server to use for a webserver. I'm looking to use an AMD Athlon 2600+, and want the motherboard to be able to handle 2GB of ram (the maximum I'd put in it). What would you recommend as a motherboard, as well as a good case and fans - I don't build computers, so I'm a newbie at this.

Thanks,
Josh

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2003, 03:58 PM
Web Hosting Master

My advice: Don't build a tower server. Get yourself a nice 1U or 2U case and build your server into that.

The cost savings for colocating a 1U or 2U server are enormous. Mid-tower servers are a pain in the @ss to colocate.

Old 11-15-2003, 08:39 PM

The place I'm looking at charges the same for mid-tower colo as they do for 1-4U - I've determined that it would be more cost-efficient for me to use a mid-tower, as it offers more expandability, as well as better cooling, and the cases are generally cheaper. The same configuration (2nd server, same config) may also be used by me personally to store files that I use for video editing. The raw video files are huge (In the GB range), and I have a new 200GB drive here waiting to be used got that purpose .

-Josh

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2003, 09:16 PM
iNET Interactive

IMO, http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...ion=13-131-436

Is one of the best boards out there for AMD...

Old 11-15-2003, 09:47 PM
Web Hosting Master

Well, you have one thing right -- mid-tower cases are cheaper. However, I'd definitely argue the other factors.

We bought a 2U case a couple days ago. It has 6x3.5" drive bays, 2x5.25" drive bays, and 4 fans. We put a dual 1GHz setup in there with no problems. We have a couple 200GB disks here as well... besides power issues (you'll want a 400w power supply to run dual 200GB), a 1U or 2U case will suit you just fine.

Most (and I mean most, as in every company that colocates in racks or cabinets as opposed to having their own datacenter with shelves), will charge you extra for colocation. The only colocation company that I know that charges you the same for 1U and 4U is ServerMatrix, but they have their own datacenter, so they probably just put you on a shelf. If you decide to change colocation providers later, you will incur a hefty difference between 1U/2U and a midtower server.

You can shrug off my advice if you want, but I'd recommend planning ahead. Build your system out into a 1U or 2U case. A 1U will be fine if you only need one or two drives; if you want more expandability, go with the 2U. You'll pay about $100 more upfront, but IMHO you'll better equip yourself for the future.

Old 11-15-2003, 10:23 PM

I'm probably going to build the server for my home network use before I think of deploying one as a live web server. I don't have a rack to mount servers in at home, so I'd at least like a mid-tower for home. What would be a good and sturdy case that allows for good cooling?

Erica - Where do you buy your rackmount cases? I've seen a ton of places selling them, but am not sure which ones are good quality in terms of cooling and case durability.

-Josh
(Formerly MainAreaJosh for those wondering )

Old 11-17-2003, 05:06 AM
Web Hosting Master

We buy them here and there... we recently bought a couple from Rackmounts Etc., and they seem to be doing fine. Supermicro cases also come highly recommended from what I can tell, though we don't have any in our rack.

Old 11-17-2003, 09:54 PM
Web Hosting Master

http://www.rasputinj.com/article946.html

Dell: PowerEdge 400SC Server P4 2.4ghz, 800mhz FSB, 40gb, 128MB $373 w/ free shipping @ Dell Small Business
Posted on Thursday, November 13 @ 18:14:39 EST

Dell PowerEdge Servers

Dell Small Business has a great deal on the PowerEdge 400SC Server with an Intel Pentium 4 2.4ghz, 800mhz FSB 128MB DDR 400Mhz ECC RAM, 48x CD-ROM, 40GB Hard drive, Integrated Intel gigabit NIC, Keyboard, Mouse, 1-yr Warranty all for

$598 - $125 auto off (discount will show up when add to the cart) - $100 rebate = $373 with free shipping.

To get the deal click on the link above, choose the PowerEdge Servers/Choose SC Value Servers/PowerEdge 400SC scroll down to Recommed solutions/ then click on the $274 priced model, upgrade the CPU to 2.4ghz P4 800Mhz FSB

if you want to save a few bucks keep it on the Celeron for $274 or just upgrade to the 2.26Ghz P4 with 533Mhz for 49 more will give you a total of $313

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
RVGlobalSoft Co., Ltd. Listing 2014-04-21 05:30:46
ReadySpace Listing 2014-04-21 05:31:09
Server Farm Realty Opens Massive Data Center in Chicago Web Hosting News 2013-06-11 11:38:04
Server Sitters Adds Website Design Service for Web Hosts Web Hosting News 2012-12-21 16:57:19
Web Host Server Intellect Offers ASP.NET MVC 4.0 BETA Testing on Public Cloud Web Hosting News 2012-06-19 12:44:02