hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Web Stats, C. Panel, & Webmail Rec's

Forum Jump

Web Stats, C. Panel, & Webmail Rec's

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2003, 03:15 PM

Web Stats, C. Panel, & Webmail Rec's

I'm in the process of choosing a new host, and I'm interested in other people's opinions on different Website Statistics, Control Panel, and Web-based E-mail programs that hosting companies use.

I've had experience with SmarterMail as an e-mail program, and on the whole, I like it, but I've been coming across names like Urchin, Webalizer, H-Sphere, Horde, etc., and a screenshot will only tell you so much.

I think the most important factor is for the programs to be user-friendly with a decent GUI because whereas I could probably figure out any program, most of my clients are computer illiterate and will need all the help they can get

Any really good or really bad experiences with the different programs out there?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2003, 03:27 PM
Web Hosting Master

I don't use any of the webstats scripts all that often, and I rarely use a control panel for anything but creating an email address quickly - but I do use webbased email all the time and find horde to be the easiest and most feature filled.

Old 11-10-2003, 03:31 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Out of the stat programs I have used, including Urchin, Webalizer, Awstats, and Webtrends, I prefer Webalizer. It seems less cluttered than some of the others.

Just my opinion though.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2003, 03:37 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Hi,
We offer 3 different webmail programs for our users, as do most hosts with Cpanel.
After trying all of the 3, I found that I really prefer the Squirrel mail over Horde and Neomail. It seems to have more features, and is more like a mail program that you would use in your home or office then the others.

As far as the control panels go as a whole,, it is really user preference. We use Cpanel, as I mentioned, and I do like it over the other control panel systems because of all its features.

Others will prefer Hsphere becasue they offer a bit better (faster) support to the hosts that use it, but for the amount of features, I prefer using Cpanel.

You should be able to ask any host that your interested in if they would set you up a demo account so you can check out the control panel features to help decide if you like that one, or another.
After all,, if your helping your clients, it is best to be familiar with what your getting them into. Also, the host should have plenty of information on how to use the control panel system. Most have documentation links in the control panels, but many offer additional help like Flash tutorials that let you watch a movie and see just how to do things, instead of just reading a short help document.

s far as what is best, it really depends on what is best for your needs and your customers needs, so try a few demos, and have real information to base your decision on.

Best of luck with your search,

Tim L

Old 11-10-2003, 03:43 PM
Disabled

Is Hsphere better then Cpanel for your opinion?

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Cisco Researcher Discovers Possible Exploit Vector for DarkLeech Attacks Web Hosting News 2013-04-26 10:19:35
Web Host Hostway Replaces Legacy Webmail with Open-Xchange Web Hosting News 2013-02-01 11:17:40
Web Host AIT Releases New Version of Server Management Control Panel Web Hosting News 2012-08-27 13:23:00
Rackspace Details New Cloud Hosting Control Panel Features Web Hosting News 2012-08-03 16:03:35
WHIR TV: Video Demo of Atomia Web Hosting Control Panel Whir Tv 2013-10-05 06:04:40