Configuring Ensim/Linux for Backup MX

Hi,

I have a mail server setup at server A with MX record for the domain pointing to that server.

If for some reason server A goes down or is being rebooted, etc... I don't want to lose any intended emails.

I have been thinking about setting a backup server B to store the messages if server A cannot be reached.

I understand that this can be done with a new MX record with a higher priority number.

Server B is linux with ensim CP from rackshack.net , how do I configure it to do this?

Basically it needs to accept mail from anyone (if intended for server A/my domain) and relay it to on to server A when A is back up and running.

Is this possible?

thanks,
    -p

Have you tried getting a firewall box (doesn't have to be a very powerful server) which is set as the MX record for all the domains and then setting iptables/ipchains to portforward to the active box (being dynamically updated via a ping/response script)? That might take some doing, but it should work wonders

-- Jonathan

Hmm, seems a bit complicated...

Can't sendmail or qmail do something like this for me? (never used either of those, but understand that sendmail is already loaded?)

I have someone manage my server for me, and he claims that as long as I set the MX record up it'll work for what I want... is that true? If so, whats to stop a spammer from setting that up in his MX record and relaying spam...

thanks,
    -p

Originally posted by pdawg
    Hmm, seems a bit complicated...

Can't sendmail or qmail do something like this for me? (never used either of those, but understand that sendmail is already loaded?)

I have someone manage my server for me, and he claims that as long as I set the MX record up it'll work for what I want... is that true? If so, whats to stop a spammer from setting that up in his MX record and relaying spam...

thanks,
    -p
    It's not that complicated, it's mainly just 2 firewall rules in iptables/ipchains or ipfw if using FreeBSD and writing a small custom script to do the checking, or if you use Linux, you can use heartbeat and just write a script to interface iptables/ipfw for that purpose.

If you send me an e-mail at jslivko@peeringsolutions.ca, I can explain further in detail.

5. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Related Posts from theWHIR.com