hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Running a Web Hosting Business : Anyone can cheat Paypal?

Forum Jump

Anyone can cheat Paypal?

Reply Post New Thread In Running a Web Hosting Business Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Guru

Anyone can cheat Paypal?

What kind of fraud or eavesdropping behavior that Paypal may not be able to guard against.

I'm not wanting to cheat, I just want to know.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Guru

Here is another question, do 1st time buyers need to confirm their email address before the transaction done?

Thanks.

Old
Web Developer

I believe so. I know for additional e-mail addresses that they need to be confirmed.

Sponsored Links
Old
Designer

Well, the thing is...

PayPal requires all email addresses that will be used on the account, to be verified. The email address that is used to setup the account is sent a verification email.

In addition, PayPal requires that a checking account or credit card is listed on the account. This also helps to prevent fraud, as they will place a verification code on your bank account or credit card statement, that you must enter, along with the odd amount they deposit into your bank account.

I believe the only thing they cannot prevent, is dollar amount fixes on purchases.

People can simply change a price directly in the URL of a paypal payment link. However, this is primarily the seller's responsibility, to know what they charge, and not providing the buyer with service, for a lower amount than offered.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by idoogleceo
I believe the only thing they cannot prevent, is dollar amount fixes on purchases.

People can simply change a price directly in the URL of a paypal payment link. However, this is primarily the seller's responsibility, to know what they charge, and not providing the buyer with service, for a lower amount than offered.

True, but if you are using the link in an html page you could set it as a form with hidden fields and use the submit button to go to PayPal. That way the end user cant change the price of the item. PayPal provides you with the code to do that.

Old
Designer

Quote:
True, but if you are using the link in an html page you could set it as a form with hidden fields and use the submit button to go to PayPal. That way the end user cant change the price of the item. PayPal provides you with the code to do that.
Definately, no doubt, however, there are many times when the form code is not possible for use.

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

That still doesn't prevent people from making a local copy of the html page and changing it... or using paypal's own tool and just changing the email address of the generated code. The only way to prevent that kind of thing is to actually check how much you are getting paid.

604-618-0543 - 866-618-0543 - support@omegasphere.net

Old
Designer

exactly. It's like I said, it's the seller's responsibility to make sure they get paid the right amount, before providing services.

Just remember, that nothing is 100% safe, and take the precautions that are necessary on your part.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
PayPal and eBay to Take On Shifting Commerce and Payment Landscape As Separate Entities Web Hosting News 2014-09-30 20:44:59
PayPal Taps GoDaddy, Ecwid Merchants with New PayPal Here SDK Web Hosting News 2014-09-05 12:04:01
EBay Buys Braintree, PayPal Offers Small Business Loans Web Hosting News 2013-09-26 12:14:40
PayPal Nears Braintree Acquisition Deal: Report Web Hosting News 2013-09-23 14:03:32
PayPal UK IPN Issues Impact Web Hosts, Users Web Hosting News 2013-02-01 09:34:43