Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    328

    The best and Reasonably priced colos+bw

    If money is no objection then every one will colo at Equinx and buy bandwidth from UUNet or Internap. But if you want to pay a reasonable price then there must be others who can offer you a value for your money. I have been looking at people who offer 50$/Meg at the 100 Meg commit and found the following vendors to match our need.

    1. Peer 1 (BW and Colo)
    2. Global Crossing (BW only)

    Any one else you think that should be added to this list.

    Jay

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,679
    AboveNet
    XO
    Level(3)

    $50/Mbit for 100Mbit will get you a nice provider. This is pretty much the going rate for above-average to very good bandwidth. I think XO might be a bit below this price level at 100Mbit, but I'm not positive.

    AFAIK, all of the above providers also have colo space available at their facilities for reasonable rates. You're probably looking at $600-$800/month for a rack at any one of these facilities.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    328
    You cant get Level 3 for 50$/Meg on 100 Meg. I do not know about AboveNet....any one know what the going rate on that.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,780
    Abovenet is currently at 55/meg for 100meg if you like it with SLA. $500 more for port charge.

    Level3 Not thru NEXGEN is still expensive, it would be above 75/meg for 100meg for sure.

    It also depends where you want to pick it up.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    328
    My understanding is that NextGen (http://www.nxbs.com) does not sell L3 bw any more.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    85
    Correct, seems they had a little $150,000 disagreement...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,780
    Yep, Nexgen is gone. They're left with Wiltel only.

    NexGen was the only chance we have that could allow us to pick up Level3. Now my dream dissapearred...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,679
    Originally posted by jay23
    You cant get Level 3 for 50$/Meg on 100 Meg. I do not know about AboveNet....any one know what the going rate on that.
    If you colocate in an AboveNet datacenter, the price is $50/Mbit @ 100Mbit or $100/Mbit below that. Burst bandwidth is billed at $125/Mbit at commits below 100Mbit. 52U racks are $795 each if you go for one or $595 each if you have three or more. Each rack comes with 1Mbit of bandwidth.

    -Erica

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    3,407
    Originally posted by Simpli-Erica


    $50/Mbit for 100Mbit will get you a nice provider. This is pretty much the going rate for above-average to very good bandwidth.
    I disagree with this. Maybe in your area, but every market is different. $50.00 certainly isn't the 'going' rate for good bandwidth.

    52U racks are $795 each
    I think you mean 42U. I would hate to see a 52U datacenter with racks. Only the Harleem Globetrotters could reboot the top servers.
    BeDifferentSolutions | "For when Indian-based solutions just won't do."
    *We hire, train and manage extremely skilled technical support employees for your business*
    US and European Based Representatives | Dedicated and Semi-Dedicated Options | Level 1/2/3 Skillsets
    Expertise Since 1999 | www.bedifferentsolutions.com | info@bedifferentsolutions.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    24,006
    Originally posted by UmBillyCord
    . . . I think you mean 42U. I would hate to see a 52U datacenter with racks. Only the Harleem Globetrotters could reboot the top servers.
    Or they have those mini trampolines.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,113
    Another thing to really think about when doing colo is, do you really want to put all your eggs in one basket and go with a single bandwidth provider? Sure, the rate of $50/mbit is attractive, but what about redundancy...

    They can give me all the SLA's in the world, but unless they are giving me cross connects from two seperate network segments, connected to diverse routers, it's an accident waiting to happen.

    Just my $.02

    -Steven
    Last edited by insiderhosting; 11-07-2003 at 05:03 AM.
    http://www.insiderhosting.com
    BGP Blend of Internap, Mzima, Savvis, and Global Crossing in One Wilshire, Los Angeles!
    True Definition of Managed Hosting
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Co-location

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    4,910
    Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Or they have those mini trampolines.

    Its all about team work... Dwarfs/Elvs.. They can reach the bottom servers perfectly and they can stand on each other's shoulders to reach the higher ones


    Note: This was not ment to offend short statured people. Ment purely for entertainment value
    -Mat

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    24,006
    Originally posted by The Prohacker
    Its all about team work... Dwarfs/Elvs.. They can reach the bottom servers perfectly and they can stand on each other's shoulders to reach the higher ones
    *nearly looses mouthful of coffee*
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    4,910
    Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    *nearly looses mouthful of coffee*

    And I bet tomorrow I'll wake up with either a flood of hate mail or a summons to court from the National Assossciation of Little People


    I like Level3.. You might be able to find $50/mbit-100mbit through a provider with a gig or more with them.. I can't think of any off the top of my head with that much but I'll try to think of some tonight.. Err this morning
    -Mat

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,679
    Originally posted by UmBillyCord
    I think you mean 42U. I would hate to see a 52U datacenter with racks. Only the Harleem Globetrotters could reboot the top servers.
    Nope, I mean 52U. As in 9' tall. And yes, you're right... we have a 2U colo server up there at the very top and we had to have a very tall (and helpful!) datacenter employee get it up there from a ladder.

    Nothing like using everything you're paying for by putting this HUGE 2U server on a shelf at the top of your rack.

    -Erica

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,679
    Originally posted by insiderhosting
    They can give me all the SLA's in the world, but unless they are giving me cross connects from two seperate network segments, connected to diverse routers, it's an accident waiting to happen.
    Yeah, I hear this a lot... but I also know a lot of provider datacenters that simply don't have network outages. Peer1 in NYC has been up ever since the datacenter opened. And I'm sure you all are sick of hearing about how much I like AboveNet, but their network hasn't been down at ALL in the 7 months we've been there. Not once. Not even a cough.

    I know AboveNet is not the only provider to guarantee this level of uptime, either. In my opinion, it does come down to the SLA. The datacenters (note the word datacenters) that guarantee 100% uptime... they pretty much have 100% uptime. They'd lose their face if their network were down several times every month like some of the cheaper providers are.

    Take a look at Netcraft. They do hosting company uptime statistics every month and post the companies that have 100% uptime. There are several datacenters in this country that make that list consistently. The best indicator to me is not how many network connections you have, but 1) What is your SLA? and 2) Do you stick to it? Colocating in a provider facility, to me, doesn't have as much to do with it as a proven track record does.

    -Erica

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,780
    If you're in the carrier's DC, then you don't have to worry much about redundancy. They'll stay up pretty much to 100%. Put it simply, even if you have 2 or more providers, your router's failure rate is going to be higher than the carrier's setup. What good is it if you got 2 provider but they depended on one router.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    214
    Don't forget about the best darn DC in Cali... uh, besides Equinix.
    Sfcolocation.com, how do I say?... awesome? I think so.
    If you are judging facilities this place is in the top 5, hands down.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    96

    Re: The best and Reasonably priced colos+bw

    Originally posted by jay23
    I have been looking at people who offer 50$/Meg at the 100 Meg commit and found the following vendors to match our need.

    1. Peer 1 (BW and Colo)
    2. Global Crossing (BW only)

    Any one else you think that should be added to this list.
    *********** should undoubtedly be on that list.
    They own and operate their own facilities, and operate out of carrier hotels as well.
    ServForce - www.servforce.com

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,780
    papa smurff,

    do you know who got fiber going into 365? seems that only XO have fibers going into it. I tried 360network and onfiber, both say they don't actually know and have to look it up.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    214
    Originally posted by Mfjp
    papa smurff,

    do you know who got fiber going into 365? seems that only XO have fibers going into it. I tried 360network and onfiber, both say they don't actually know and have to look it up.
    Actual companies that have fiber actually pulled into the facility and lit are:
    1. XO
    2. SBC
    3. MFN/Abovenet
    4. MCI/UUnet
    5. IPnetworks (a metro fiber provider kinda like Yipes or Onfiber)

    Nobody else is "on net" in the facility. So if you want another provider you need to get the loop from one of the 5 above.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,780
    I'm looking at the facility also now,

    Hmm, of the five

    1) Do you think you can help me find out if XO only got a Sonet POP?
    2) too expensive to do anything with
    3) Doesn't offer metro transport or anything last I check (They may even be on XO fiber, but i'm totally unsure)
    4) too expensive to do anything with
    5) Do you think you can pass me a contact from them if you know one?

    Thank you.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    214
    Originally posted by Mfjp
    I'm looking at the facility also now,

    Hmm, of the five

    1) Do you think you can help me find out if XO only got a Sonet POP?
    2) too expensive to do anything with
    3) Doesn't offer metro transport or anything last I check (They may even be on XO fiber, but i'm totally unsure)
    4) too expensive to do anything with
    5) Do you think you can pass me a contact from them if you know one?

    Thank you.
    1. XO has a SONET POP terminating into 2 OC48 boxes
    2. Agree
    3. True
    4. I dunno
    5. This is the only link I can find that refrences them http://www.pge.com/tariffs/advice/ad...ers/2285-E.pdf

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,679

    Re: Re: The best and Reasonably priced colos+bw

    Originally posted by ServeForce
    *********** should undoubtedly be on that list.
    They own and operate their own facilities, and operate out of carrier hotels as well.
    Their bandwidth is fine, but I wouldn't recommend their facility at 1019 Mission to anyone. I have been there... it is just scary.

    I heard they built a new datacenter on Federal Street and that the new datacenter is nicer. 1019 Mission is just a joke.

    You can pull their bandwidth into Exchange or others and be fine, though.

    -Erica

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    542
    Originally posted by Simpli-Erica
    Nope, I mean 52U. As in 9' tall. And yes, you're right... we have a 2U colo server up there at the very top and we had to have a very tall (and helpful!) datacenter employee get it up there from a ladder.

    Nothing like using everything you're paying for by putting this HUGE 2U server on a shelf at the top of your rack.

    -Erica
    Sure! we consider the top area of the AboveNet rack (which is blocked by the cage fence in front) the "cheap seats") and reserve it for tower/mini-tower boxes at lower than per-U regular pricing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •