hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Colocation and Data Centers : The best and Reasonably priced colos+bw

Forum Jump

The best and Reasonably priced colos+bw

Reply Post New Thread In Colocation and Data Centers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Guru

The best and Reasonably priced colos+bw

If money is no objection then every one will colo at Equinx and buy bandwidth from UUNet or Internap. But if you want to pay a reasonable price then there must be others who can offer you a value for your money. I have been looking at people who offer 50$/Meg at the 100 Meg commit and found the following vendors to match our need.

1. Peer 1 (BW and Colo)
2. Global Crossing (BW only)

Any one else you think that should be added to this list.

Jay

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

AboveNet
XO
Level(3)

$50/Mbit for 100Mbit will get you a nice provider. This is pretty much the going rate for above-average to very good bandwidth. I think XO might be a bit below this price level at 100Mbit, but I'm not positive.

AFAIK, all of the above providers also have colo space available at their facilities for reasonable rates. You're probably looking at $600-$800/month for a rack at any one of these facilities.

Old
Web Hosting Guru

You cant get Level 3 for 50$/Meg on 100 Meg. I do not know about AboveNet....any one know what the going rate on that.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Abovenet is currently at 55/meg for 100meg if you like it with SLA. $500 more for port charge.

Level3 Not thru NEXGEN is still expensive, it would be above 75/meg for 100meg for sure.

It also depends where you want to pick it up.

Old
Web Hosting Guru

My understanding is that NextGen (http://www.nxbs.com) does not sell L3 bw any more.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Correct, seems they had a little $150,000 disagreement...

Old
Web Hosting Master

Yep, Nexgen is gone. They're left with Wiltel only.

NexGen was the only chance we have that could allow us to pick up Level3. Now my dream dissapearred...

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by jay23
You cant get Level 3 for 50$/Meg on 100 Meg. I do not know about AboveNet....any one know what the going rate on that.
If you colocate in an AboveNet datacenter, the price is $50/Mbit @ 100Mbit or $100/Mbit below that. Burst bandwidth is billed at $125/Mbit at commits below 100Mbit. 52U racks are $795 each if you go for one or $595 each if you have three or more. Each rack comes with 1Mbit of bandwidth.

-Erica

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Simpli-Erica

$50/Mbit for 100Mbit will get you a nice provider. This is pretty much the going rate for above-average to very good bandwidth.
I disagree with this. Maybe in your area, but every market is different. $50.00 certainly isn't the 'going' rate for good bandwidth.

Quote:
52U racks are $795 each
I think you mean 42U. I would hate to see a 52U datacenter with racks. Only the Harleem Globetrotters could reboot the top servers.

Expertise Since 1999 | www.bedifferentsolutions.com | info@bedifferentsolutions.com

Old
Older than the Internet

Quote:
Originally posted by UmBillyCord
. . . I think you mean 42U. I would hate to see a 52U datacenter with racks. Only the Harleem Globetrotters could reboot the top servers.
Or they have those mini trampolines.

Old
Community Guide

Another thing to really think about when doing colo is, do you really want to put all your eggs in one basket and go with a single bandwidth provider? Sure, the rate of $50/mbit is attractive, but what about redundancy...

They can give me all the SLA's in the world, but unless they are giving me cross connects from two seperate network segments, connected to diverse routers, it's an accident waiting to happen.

Just my $.02

-Steven

Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Co-location

Last edited by insiderhosting; 11-07-2003 at 05:03 AM.
Old
iNET Interactive

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Bob
Or they have those mini trampolines.

Its all about team work... Dwarfs/Elvs.. They can reach the bottom servers perfectly and they can stand on each other's shoulders to reach the higher ones

Note: This was not ment to offend short statured people. Ment purely for entertainment value

Old
Older than the Internet

Quote:
Originally posted by The Prohacker
Its all about team work... Dwarfs/Elvs.. They can reach the bottom servers perfectly and they can stand on each other's shoulders to reach the higher ones
*nearly looses mouthful of coffee*

Old
iNET Interactive

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Bob
*nearly looses mouthful of coffee*

And I bet tomorrow I'll wake up with either a flood of hate mail or a summons to court from the National Assossciation of Little People

I like Level3.. You might be able to find $50/mbit-100mbit through a provider with a gig or more with them.. I can't think of any off the top of my head with that much but I'll try to think of some tonight.. Err this morning

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by UmBillyCord
I think you mean 42U. I would hate to see a 52U datacenter with racks. Only the Harleem Globetrotters could reboot the top servers.
Nope, I mean 52U. As in 9' tall. And yes, you're right... we have a 2U colo server up there at the very top and we had to have a very tall (and helpful!) datacenter employee get it up there from a ladder.

Nothing like using everything you're paying for by putting this HUGE 2U server on a shelf at the top of your rack.

-Erica

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - January 10, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:42:33
SSLGURU Listing 2014-10-21 13:46:39
Box Doubles Storage for Free Plan, Launches $5 Enterprise Plan Web Hosting News 2013-08-22 13:32:27
IceStorm Launches Managed Cloud VPS Hosting Plans Web Hosting News 2013-08-12 14:22:48
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup – July 26, 2013 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:42:54