Thread: Advice Needed

Advice Needed

I would like to set up an email server for my extended family (figure 7 or 8 families, about 16 to 20 adults). We currently have the free yahoo accounts, but they are too restrictive (3 attachments, 1.5MB file size limit, etc.). I am thinking 5 GB of space should cover everything (I was also thinking it might be nice to have some webpage availability), and Frontpage extensions might be nice to help with web page creation? What do I need to do to make this happen? I want unlimited email accounts (so I can create one time use, or per company use email accounts so I can see who is doing what with my emai), and I would like the cost to be $25 or so a month I am thinking. Assume that I am completely clueless. I could definately use some hand holding here! Thank you in advance. (Feel free to comment on what specs you would recommend).

I would suggest you lower your space requirements. 5gb is a huge amount of space for emails.
    You should probably look for something in the 500mb-1gb range with 2-5gb bandwidth.
    Look to pay around $4-$8 per month for these specs.

Even 500 - 1 GB may be way more than you need. Unless you receive large attachments all the time, I doubt your total usage would go over 50 megs. As you check your email, it's deleted from the server.

Also, you'd have no limit on the size of your sent attachments (just make sure it's not too big for the mailbox of whoever you're sending it to. The attachments you send wouldn't count towards your space, because your sending them...not receiving them.

Thank you for the replies. But what do I need to do this? What would handle the email creation? I was thinking I would need that kind of space because my family is in the "Baby Boom" phase and kids are flying all over the place. What do I need to ask for from a company? What am I looking for? Where are some good places to talk to? As far as email is concerned, would everyone just use Outlook, or Eudora, or some other POP email program? What about a webmail client? Like I said I am kinda ignorant about what I am looking for at this point. Any help would be appreciated!

Now adays, most any host will be able to meet your requirements.

Almost all hosting plans come with a control panel that will allow you to create your email addresses yourself.

So what you need is:

1. a reputable host, do your homework and you should be able to find a decent host in the price range of $7 - $10 US per month.

I would suggest looking for between 1 - 5 GB of space and between 30 - a couple hundred megs of space. (I honestly doubt you will use much as just regular plain emails are very small and get deleted from the server as you receive them) but it never hurts to air on th side of caution.

2. a domain name ot host your family's email on. You can look up and see if "yourfamilyname.com" is availabe or "The<familynamehere>Family.com" etc.

After that you should be good to go!

Just ask for a standard hosting plan. You will be provided with a control panel which will make it easy to set up as many email accounts as you like.
    People could use an email client like outlook express to check their mail or they could do it online.
    You can create a web page to upload all new pictures for people to see, that way the same picture won't be sitting in 25 inboxes taking up a lot of space.

Originally posted by Reality Hosting
    I would suggest looking for between 1 - 5 GB of space and between 30 - a couple hundred megs of space. (I honestly doubt you will use much as just regular plain emails are very small and get deleted from the server as you receive them) but it never hurts to air on th side of caution.
    Can you clarify what this means? I am confused by the 1 - 5 GB of space and the 30 to a couple hundered megs of space.

Thanks!

I was just suggesting a range of resources.

When you find a hosting plan it will come with so much transfer and so much space.

Anywhere in that range and you should be okay.

I think you may have mis-stated something RH. You mention 1-5gb space and then 30 to a couple hundred meg space

Oops!

I must not be quite awake yet... The 1 - 5 GB was supposed to be transfer

Thanks Blue, and sorry for the confusion Derek.

Yeah, any standard host these days should provide you that capability!

Originally posted by evilderek
    Thank you for the replies. But what do I need to do this? What would handle the email creation? I was thinking I would need that kind of space because my family is in the "Baby Boom" phase and kids are flying all over the place. What do I need to ask for from a company? What am I looking for? Where are some good places to talk to? As far as email is concerned, would everyone just use Outlook, or Eudora, or some other POP email program? What about a webmail client? Like I said I am kinda ignorant about what I am looking for at this point. Any help would be appreciated!
    Okay, I'm not sure what your experience level is, so I'll go through the whole setup.
    1) You buy a domain yourdomain.com from a company like godaddy.com

2) You sign-up for a small hosting account(Be sure the account allows as many emails as you need). I would also recommend that you find an account that uses cPanel as a control panel(it's easiest IMHO and has built in webmail). The host will give you two nameserver addresses.

3)You log into your account at Godaddy and enter in the nameserver addresses.

4) Wait three days for DNS to propagate.

5) Log into your account control panel at http://yourdomain.com/cpanel
    Click on the "Mail" icon and set up your email accounts.

Then, you can set up your emails in Outlook or you can access your email via webmail at http://yourdomain.com/webmail/

Done! Hope this helps.