MY DVD player Keeps Freezing

Hi

I took my pc to bestbuy to fix my dc rw and my dvd player cause neither worked--- the CD RW wouldnt read blanck cds and the DVD player would freeze every 30 seconds when watching a movie and stay froze from anywher from 10 second to 30 seconds

Well they fixed the CD RW - had to buy a new one and they said they fixed the DVD player... lol no they didnt fix that

Just got done trying to watch man apart - froze every 30 secodns fro atlest 5 seconds then got longer to like 30 seconds

Anyone know why this is

DVD PLAYER - Norcent DVD ROM 16x
    MOTHERBOARD - Soyo Dragon KT333 Lite
    GRAPHICS CARD - Radeon 7000
    PROCESSOR - AMD ATHLON XP 2100+ 1.73 GHZ
    OS - Windows XP

RAM? Just a guess though.

I get a touch of split second freezing from time to time on my Samsung DVD player, so I can imagine it's driving you around the bend having to deal with that.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

* hey

Nope not RAM unless 1 gig is not enoguh

So I have 1 GIG any other ideas of what oculd be causing this?

It is driving me crazy - I looked inside (Idont know much) and all wires are connected and everything... IT IS KILLING ME

You checked to make sure the DVD is not scratched?

Your only other option would be to try running a DVD off your computer and not the actual DVD Player and see if you get the same problems.
    ^^ IM WITH STUPID!! ^^

"The only way to overcome fear, is to challenge it head on"
    "The quickest way to get over a woman, is to get under another"

Hmmm ... sounds more like a software problem then anything. What app are you using to watch your movies?
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

Nope

Its not the DVD movie - plays fine on my dvd player that goes with my TV

Nope not the software - I have treid Actual Real Player, PC Friendly DVD player, and even bought a 20 dollar one called DVD Zone

Upgraded your graphics drivers lately? Could be caused by bad sound drivers also depending on your sound settings..

Have you tried other DVD's.
    Many DVD's will play fine in a dedicated player but the DVD drives are more sensitive to scratches etc.

Do you have access to another DVD drive? Maybe borrow one from a friend. Then you can establish if it's the drive or not.

?

Originally posted by x222943
    Upgraded your graphics drivers lately? Could be caused by bad sound drivers also depending on your sound settings..
    My grpahics card is radeon 7000 - do I need to upgrade? When you say upgrade do you mean updates or buy a better graphcis card - as it works for eveyrthing else

My sound card is an on board with my mobo - KT333 LITE from soyo - plays all my cds and all never had probs there...

Onboard sound cards can be a huge problem when it comes to compatibility issues.

so...

So does everyone think it is my sound card

Yes ... yes we do. But try to find a dvd drive that you can install and test in your system ... it would help you to figure it out.

also, is DMA enabled on the IDE controller the dvd drive is conntected too.

DMA usually improoves dvd performance bigtime.

especially if you have slower hardware, eg, slow soundcard

ok

so if it is my onbaord sound card -- would I have to buy a new motherboard alon with a new sound card... since the motherboard has the sound card.

If ther disks are the slightest bit dirty,it will cause freezing.

I've had this happen MANY times,try cleaning your disks and you should be good 2 go!!!!

The Dude

Re: ok

Originally posted by lokodezine
    so if it is my onbaord sound card -- would I have to buy a new motherboard alon with a new sound card... since the motherboard has the sound card.
    No, depending on the motherboard you either disable via a jumper on the board itself (unlikely) or you disable it in the bios (very likely).

then you just push the new sound card in and install

You are all off base. No one sugested that it may be the DVD ROM's lens that is dirty. I had this same problem with both my PC DVD ROM and my home DVD player. I thought it was the disks themselves, but it was not. I got a cleaning disk for the player, and it worked like a dream, no more freezing.
    Bayouspace Hosting
    Reliable, Full Featured cPanel Shared Hosting, with REAL 24/7 SUPPORT
    Established 11/2009, WHT member since 2003
    http://www.bayouspace.com

pixel

ok will try - I have a lens cleaner at home, Ill try right when I get home, but honestly doubt thats the problem casue the drive has only been used 3 times

Also its not the disk, if u mean the dvd disk - the dude, because it worked on other dvd players

Sopmethings a matter and i dont know what

Originally posted by pixetech
    You are all off base. No one sugested that it may be the DVD ROM's lens that is dirty. I had this same problem with both my PC DVD ROM and my home DVD player. I thought it was the disks themselves, but it was not. I got a cleaning disk for the player, and it worked like a dream, no more freezing.
    the way no one has probably mentioned that his dvd drive was sent for repair wasn't it.

Must admit, if the drive is oldish, then i doubt its the lens dirty, reason being, in 4 years 2 dvd drives of mine have gone dodgy, random reading problems, etc

wasn't dirty lens, was probably due to parts over heating.

a lot of people i have spoken have also said that the early dvd drives are dodgy.

im on my third now