hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Domain Names : Important Notice: Please Verify Contact Data for your Domain Name(s)

Forum Jump

Important Notice: Please Verify Contact Data for your Domain Name(s)

Reply Post New Thread In Domain Names Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2003, 02:59 PM
Disabled

Important Notice: Please Verify Contact Data for your Domain Name(s)

I just got this as "returned mail - The following addresses had permanent fatal errors". It was sent as if it came from the IP-address that is also used as my contact address for eNom.

The page it links to is on a domain owned by eNom, but they did a good job hiding themselfs. The page itself however doesn't work

Quote:
Subject: Important Notice: Please Verify Contact Data for your Domain Name(s)
Date: 31 Oct 2003 10:12:20 -0800
To: MyClient@his.isp

Dear MyCompany Customer,

This message is a reminder to help you keep the contact data associated with your domain registration up-to-date.

As of Oct 31, 2003, we are required by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) to send you this reminder by the Anniversary date of each registered Domain Name that is subject to the terms and conditions of that organization.

Below is a list of domain names with your email address listed as the registrant. The current contact information associated with the domain may be verified by following the link to the right of the domain name. If any of the information contact data is inaccurate, it must be corrected.

Please remember that under the terms of your registration agreement, the provision of false Whois (contact) information can be grounds for cancellation of your domain name registration.

Domain Names with Anniversary Dates between November 1 and November 15

Name: Registration Date:
------ -----------------
domainname.org Nov 09, 1998
View Contact Data: <http://wdrp.name-services.com/whois....00000000AA00AA>

Thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,

MyCompany
If it is eNom, I don't really mind. I only have one problem what will my client see at wdrp.name-services.com once it is working? No eNom-logo, I'm sure, but what will he see? Will he be able to make changes right there and then? Will I be notified of such changes (so I can apply them to my own database)?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2003, 05:01 PM

got same message

We just got three bounce-backs with the same message. I've contacted eNom to get the "story".

Bruce

Old 10-31-2003, 05:02 PM
Tells All!

mine bounced too but that was about a month ago :\

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2003, 07:00 PM

I just heard from eNom and they confirmed that they are the source of the emails to our clients.

Old 10-31-2003, 07:41 PM
Web Hosting Master

I received a very similar email from GoDaddy, too, saying the almost same thing. Good thing I went ahead and did a spot check on a few, because one of the domains that I transferred over to my eNom account came accross with no contact information. The whois was completely blank for everything!

Old 10-31-2003, 08:24 PM
Web Hosting Master

Also

Also, got the same from Dotster....hundreds of emails.....glad to see the crackdown.

Old 10-31-2003, 09:52 PM
Disabled

Everyone has to do it.

Old 10-31-2003, 11:40 PM
Disabled

The link in the e-mail now works. It points to a "Universal WhoIs Verification Page". The user can view the data, is adviced to update it if needed, but can't update right there.

I rather like the idea. I've got lots of clients with non-working e-mail addresses because they' didn't think of informing us about their address change.

The registries should do this when the registration is half-way really. Makes the client remember his data has to be kept up-to-date untill he gets the reminder to extend the registration (which should remind him again).

I do notice that they went out of their way and put the whois-info in one large image file and not in plain text. I wonder why that would be.

Old 11-01-2003, 08:43 AM
Retired Moderator

It is legit. Godaddy sent me a mass one the other day. This is going to be annoying though.

Old 11-01-2003, 10:02 AM
Web Hosting Master

Although the hundreds of emails are annoying it is a step in the right direction

Old 11-01-2003, 10:23 AM
Retired Moderator

I wonder what happens if I dont click?

Old 11-01-2003, 02:04 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by kohashi
I wonder what happens if I dont click?
Nothing, directly. But...

Quote:
under the terms of your registration agreement, the provision of false Whois (contact) information can be grounds for cancellation of your domain name registration.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
DDoS Attack Targets 123-reg Customer, Slows Down Shared Hosting Sites Web Hosting News 2014-04-24 12:11:04
This Company is Reminding You to Renew Your Domain, But It's Not Your Registrar Blog 2014-03-13 14:00:42
The Host Group Launches Updated Line of SSL Certificate Options Web Hosting News 2013-06-24 10:14:16
Go Daddy Blocks Whois Info on Expiring Domains, Protects Domain Auction Business Web Hosting News 2012-11-14 11:20:35
CIRA Warns .CA Registrants of Fake Domain Renewal Email Phishing Scam Web Hosting News 2012-08-10 11:02:44