Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shannara: I admit that I do download music off the net; but why I believe I'm not a theif is this: if I like the song, I go out and buy the cd. Just curious, but, does that still make me a theif?

Why I ask is that some do actually buy the cd after downloading the music.

Originally posted by bear
    I find it hard to fathom that a 12 year old would not have heard of the RIAA, in relation to Kazaa and file sharing. It has been all over the news for a long time now.
    I know of many 13 year old and younger who have never heard of RIAA..and when asked, they ask you if it's a new video game, CD, or movie.
    Charnell Lucich
    Community Engagement Manager
    Rackspace Hosting
    http://community.rackspace.com

Originally posted by Shannara
    But now we have criminals (aka thieves) who are attacking the RIAA due to the RIAA taking these criminals to court over stealing, breaking the law?
    Wait a second... Isn't it the RIAA that broke into the an innocent users system? Or is that no longer breaking the law?

(Ok, so they probably aren't innocent but how can RIAA prove that? All they downloaded that the RIAA knows about is their little trojan. If anyone broke the law in downloading the trojan, it was the RIAA not the user.)

RIAA opened up the machine remotely through a hidden attachment to one of their uploading audio files
    Since when is it OK to break the law to prevent the law from POSSIBLY being broken in the future? Seems like another example of these all too common "pre-emptive" attacks, if you ask me.

Originally posted by jakiao
    Shannara: I admit that I do download music off the net; but why I believe I'm not a theif is this: if I like the song, I go out and buy the cd. Just curious, but, does that still make me a theif?

Why I ask is that some do actually buy the cd after downloading the music.
    Yep. That would be the same as if you stole someone's car just to see how it handles. And if you like it, you would go out and buy your own car of the same make and model. Would you still be charged with stealing? Yes.
    1. Mmmmm food...

I've never heard of the RIAA or the MPAA until this year. The fact is people paid for the music, so if I paid to the music I should have the right to distribute my music cd however I want. Shannara, were all not innocent people, but were rather guilty ones. Nowadays EVERYTHING is illegal. If you walk down the street nude is that illegal? Yes of course. If you throw down a piece of paper is that illegal? You sure as bet its illegal. Shannara, i'm betting you've committed at least one type of illegal crime as has everyone in America. I know many of us have been known to throw a paper out the window which you can face a fine of $10 - $10,000.
    Kerry Jones

Actually, I know I did to. Usually the kind that is against corrupt laws DMCA, Patriot Crap/Act. Im not saying im not innocent of any crimes, because I'm not innocent. I'm just saying, in this major case, it's blatently obvious.

As for buying music = owning it, I agree. Heck, I would go as far as to say, running a server (or offering it via Download thru Kazaa) would be ok (dispite corrupt law). As long as... 1. I ripped it from my CD, and 2. Well..

As for going onto Kazaa and downloading someone else's music... thats obviously wrong.... don't you agree?
    1. Mmmmm food...

I find it hard to fathom that a 12 year old would not have heard of the RIAA....
    You MUST be kidding? Right? Please tell me your kidding.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    The fact is people paid for the music, so if I paid to the music I should have the right to distribute my music cd however I want.
    Not exactly. You have the right to listen to it, make a backup copy (or 10), but not distribute, even if you don't charge.
    Here's an analogy:
    You buy a website template. It has the same sort of copyright protection afforded to a music CD. You can make copies for backup purposes. Instead, you copy it and post it for anyone who wants it; after all, you bought it, you should be able to do anything you want with it, right?
    It's protected, and copying/distributing lessens the value, while robbing the creator of the money they are owed for the creative work.

Simple, really.

Originally posted by KIAHost
    No, I'm not...why?

As for going onto Kazaa and downloading someone else's music... thats obviously wrong.... don't you agree?

No.

quote:Originally posted by KIAHost

No, I'm not...why?
    Its very possible that a 12-year-old hasn't heard of the RIAA. I am 18-years-old and I found out about the RIAA in June.

The bottom line is there is no way the RIAA will be able to stop all the music priating online. They are targeting Americans because they can't sue the huge distributors in other countries. I could go to Canada or even Africa and download all the music I want and get away with it. The RIAA needs to focus on lower pricing and stop suing the people who've spent so much money on their tracks. As for the distribution I think if you should have the right to distribute to friends only then, happy?
    Kerry Jones

If the RIAA ever tried to sue me, I'd ask them to demonstrate how exactly it is that they obtained my information. They'd have to reveal how; and if that way was anyway illegal, I'd be let off because the evidence was illegally obtained, thus making me clean.

Seriously, someone needs to ask, in court, how they obtain the info.

I've heard they use a modified verison of Kazaa Lite.
    Kerry Jones

I applaud the guy for doing this as well. I believe they have it coming.
    Politics and debate for serious people.
    www.seriousdiscussion.com

Originally posted by sassSE
    I know of many 13 year old and younger who have never heard of RIAA..and when asked, they ask you if it's a new video game, CD, or movie.
    I just asked my daughter (12) if she had heard of RIAA.....she asked what kind of music they play..... yep, I find it HARD to believe that most 12 yr olds know what it is.
    Need Control Panel help? Tutorials, FAQS, user guides. and more
    Don't have the control panel you use listed? Let us know.

RIAA finds personal information by simply tracking your IP address and then contacting ISP of their 'suspects' with a subpeona.

It's actually quite easily done. They'd have a clean PC not doing anything else that uses internet, initiate a connection as if they're trying to download music from the user; do a net stat in dos or its equivlance in other OS; get the IP; get a court order done; and go to the guy's ISP; ISP is by law required to provide them the user's information as there are some legislatures that allows them to do that; and before the user knows it, they come a knocking...

attacking is not the right way - a better way would be to find a solution which is acceptable for all parties..

just my 7.3 cents

Originally posted by RH Robert
    I just asked my daughter (12) if she had heard of RIAA.....she asked what kind of music they play..... yep, I find it HARD to believe that most 12 yr olds know what it is.
    Kind of off on a tangent here, but; does she use a computer (online)? Does she download *free* music or use a filesharing program?
    If the answer is yes to any of these, and you haven't explained the legalities to her, you might have reason to be concerned too.

Nothing personal, but my children understand everything having to do with what's right and wrong, and who might be out to "get" them on line. Simply not explaining the implications of their on-line activities won't get you 'off the hook' if the authorities come knocking.
    Try asking her about downloading music and copyright protection. If she hasn't heard about those either, you both are at risk.

Nothing personal.

I am totally for p2p and think the RIAA are using verywrong tactics.
    None of the money they get from law suits even goes to the artists which I think is a bit stupid really
    They are meant to be fighting for the rights of artists, if thats what their main aim is,why dont they give the money they are making to the artists who they are saying are losing out on so much money?

They have a lot to answer up to I think..
    Their tactics seem below the belt for me
    John Diver
    CanaryHotspot.com - Canary Island forum and information
    InternationalChatForum.com - International Travel Chat Forum and information

Talking

Originally posted by jakiao
    If the RIAA ever tried to sue me, I'd ask them to demonstrate how exactly it is that they obtained my information. They'd have to reveal how; and if that way was anyway illegal, I'd be let off because the evidence was illegally obtained, thus making me clean.

Seriously, someone needs to ask, in court, how they obtain the info.
    Ok, basically, by your own words. You see someone take your computer. So you go to court, and he's there. Say there was no proof that he took the computer, other then your word. No witnesses, no fingerprints, etc, etc. So he will get off free. Oh wait.. that must mean he's clean...

No, he's still a thief, but by your definition, he's clean.

Whatever.
    1. Mmmmm food...

Ok, basically, by your own words. You see someone take your computer. So you go to court, and he's there. Say there was no proof that he took the computer, other then your word. No witnesses, no fingerprints, etc, etc. So he will get off free. Oh wait.. that must mean he's clean...

No, he's still a thief, but by your definition, he's clean.

Whatever.
    Yes, and this is called America. If you can get away with it more power to you. That is why we log and write down everything that is said so we can proscute them or take action against those who would either hack us or cause other criminal deeds.

Kind of off on a tangent here, but; does she use a computer (online)? Does she download *free* music or use a filesharing program?
    If the answer is yes to any of these, and you haven't explained the legalities to her, you might have reason to be concerned too.

Nothing personal, but my children understand everything having to do with what's right and wrong, and who might be out to "get" them on line. Simply not explaining the implications of their on-line activities won't get you 'off the hook' if the authorities come knocking.
    Try asking her about downloading music and copyright protection. If she hasn't heard about those either, you both are at risk.

Nothing personal.
    What if he doesn't want to expose his daughter to this filfth online? My answer to my neice would be somewhat like this:

Neice: hey uncle Kerry what is the RIAA?

Me: A greedy organzation who will sue anyone including 12-year-olds who download things they love on the internet.

Simple enough?
    Kerry Jones

Yep, in America people can steal and get away from it. Doesn't mean that person is "clean". It just mean that someone should be able to get away shooting the thief and nobody would care..

Neice: Hey Uncle, what is the RIAA?

Me: A company that is trying to do the right thing, in a world full of backstabbers, theives, and scum.
    1. Mmmmm food...

Nothing personal.
    Not taken as personal.... My daughter rarely uses a computer while at my home, however she uses the computer at her mothers frequently, including kazaa that her mother installed. I have already talked to her mother about it and kazaa was removed (or so I am told). The fact that she didn't know what RIAA stood for and their function, doesn't mean she didn't know what she was doing. She knows full well that it is illegal to download copyrighted material if she doesn't own it. However, at that time, not knowing what the RIAA was, doesn't mean she wasn't aware that there may have been consequences. I was just stating the fact that many younger children don't know what it is.....but that will probably change with the prominence of the lawsuits in the news now, and parents who are concerned.
    Need Control Panel help? Tutorials, FAQS, user guides. and more
    Don't have the control panel you use listed? Let us know.

Yep, in America people can steal and get away from it. Doesn't mean that person is "clean". It just mean that someone should be able to get away shooting the thief and nobody would care..

Neice: Hey Uncle, what is the RIAA?

Me: A company that is trying to do the right thing, in a world full of backstabbers, theives, and scum.
    Yes, but if the RIAA can't sue outside the US they should drop it. As for the "in world full of backstabbers. theives, and scum" part I suggest you talk with some of your computer friends. I'm pretty sure at least one friend downloads music and your calling them a backstabber, theives, or scum. It is the music industry that is a let down. Its not like they actually invented music. In a way I would consider the RIAA the biggest thief of them all.
    Kerry Jones

No, "backstabbers, theives, and scum", would encompass the world, as mentioned in my last post, Illegal music downloaders are just theives.

RH Robert: Have you talked to your abuse department in the last 2 weeks, or read their email. I've called you guys about two weeks ago concerning one of your client hosting illegal materials and was fowarded to the abuse department. ... 2 weeks ago..
    1. Mmmmm food...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast