Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

* Kazaa user shuts down RIAA

HOORAY!!!!
    HIP-HIP!!!!

Finally metallica's efforts maybe tumbling down (I hoipe it continues)

Reuters, for the London Times, 11 October 2003

An undisclosed Kazaa member managed to shut down not only the RIAA tracking system, but the website as well for several hours today. In attempt to access user's computer, the RIAA opened up the machine remotely through a hidden attachment to one of their uploading audio files, more commonly known as an "mp3." However, it appears as though the user turned the tides on the RIAA, and instead reversed the open port and uploaded a virus to the RIAA servers. At this point, in a manner unknown to the RIAA, the user, using the well known bug in Microsoft's Remote Procedure Call exploited by last month's Blaster virus and several others since then, uploaded a perpetually extracting file which then began to fill the servers with useless data. The drives eventually filled up, and the operating systems shut themselves down. 2 hours after the initial "attack," the RIAA began the task of recovering the servers. The website was first reinstated, and then 6 hours later, the search servers, that coincidentally the RIAA denies having, were reinstated.

The RIAA has refused to comment on the events. Sources say no charges will be filed unless the RIAA can prove that their anti-intrusion policy was not violated, which in this instance, it appears as though they it has been.

The Dude

"it appears as though they it has been"
    Huh??

It has been done........(Another way of saying it i guess,i just copy/pasted it,so.......)

The Dude

Granted that the RIAA is just like microsoft as in overpricing products, stealing from artists, and so on. But now we have criminals (aka thieves) who are attacking the RIAA due to the RIAA taking these criminals to court over stealing, breaking the law?

How weird.
    1. Mmmmm food...

Sweet... I am beginning to like this guy already ^.^

Yeah, baby

The RIAA isn't attacking thieves - that's the problem - it's indiscriminately attacking IP users, without differentiating between users.

The article is great.

I applaud the guy for giving the RIAA a taste of their own medcine. I hope the RIAA will someday realize they can't fight the American people nor stop everyone from downloading music.
    Kerry Jones

Kerry: I am suprise you actually spoke in here, that you applaud criminials/theives... wouldn't that (however far fetched) make you one too?

Brian: Is it a problem? There was a 12 yo girl that was downloaded music.. they caught her, onl a $2k fine, and people are willing to foot the bill because they love theives. Interesting.

IP users? Hmm, dynamic IPs coupled with ISP logs of what l/p was used during the timeframe AND couple the l/p with the ISP's user account w/ needed information. That's not indiscriminating...

What do you have to say now?
    1. Mmmmm food...

They should consider themselves lucky the damage was able to be fixed in 6 hours time. I bet the person that infected them could have made things far worse than he did.

6 hours later, the search servers, that coincidentally the RIAA denies having, were reinstated.
    Gotta love it
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!

Shannara- But that 12 year old girl did not know she was doing wrong. She thought that since her Mom had bought/registered Kazaa, that it covered all the downloading.

What about that 78 year old man whose grandkids downloaded stuff, and he is being sued, even though he doesnt even know how to check his email? (His kids gave him the computer for christmas)

What about a house with multiple computers, but the Cable Modem bill is in the name of 1 person. Roommate #3 downloaded things and gets roommate #1 (whose name is on the bill) in trouble, because they are all behind a router.

I agree that filesharing is wrong, unless it is uncopyrighted material, or you previously purchased the album/movie. I download songs for albums that I have on Tape or Vinyl so I can listen to them (as I no longer have a tape player or record player).

But what the RIAA is doing is overstepping their bounds. They are given TOO much power and are throwing their weight around, not caring who they step on in the process.

I dont condone what this guy did, but it made me smile

Not everybody is as wise and all knowing as you Shannara. If you can sit there and condem a 12 year old then maybe you should get a job with the RIAA.

Originally posted by 1stStrike
    Not everybody is as wise and all knowing as you Shannara. If you can sit there and condem a 12 year old then maybe you should get a job with the RIAA.
    I find it hard to fathom that a 12 year old would not have heard of the RIAA, in relation to Kazaa and file sharing. It has been all over the news for a long time now.
    As for her not knowing it was illegal, ignorance of the law is no excuse. Ask any lawyer. Downloading files to which you have no legal right is against the law. I think the RIAA is deperate to plug up the money leak, and are hoping that heavy handed law suits will do it.
    Bringing down their servers is no better. How loudly did everyone yell when it was proposed that the RIAA get legal permission to damage computers known to be sharing files illegally? How does this differ, except that it happened to "them" instead of "us"?

Shannara; sorry, off topic, but are you the same Shannara who made Mirage a long time ago?

Regards,
    Alfarin

I just tossed a few replies to this thread as they were starting to move into the 'personal attacks' area. Please keep it civilized folks, so we don't have to put the bolt on this thread

Finishing?
    1. Mmmmm food...

Originally posted by Shannara
    Kerry: I am suprise you actually spoke in here, that you applaud criminials/theives... wouldn't that (however far fetched) make you one too?

Brian: Is it a problem? There was a 12 yo girl that was downloaded music.. they caught her, onl a $2k fine, and people are willing to foot the bill because they love theives. Interesting.

IP users? Hmm, dynamic IPs coupled with ISP logs of what l/p was used during the timeframe AND couple the l/p with the ISP's user account w/ needed information. That's not indiscriminating...

What do you have to say now?
    I am not a criminal, because I don't download music. I've only downloaded music once and 3 days later I deleted the file. The RIAA has the right to do this but are also hurting younger people as well. I mean look at the 12 year old who got sued. I didn't learn about copyright laws until I was 16. What a copyright meant to me was I could reproduce the work, but I couldn't claim it as my own. If the RIAA was to lower cd prices and stop this agressive campaign against the American people I might reconsider my view on them. To show my hatred towards the RIAA I have also started hosting several mirrors for Kazaa Lite. Yes, thats right. I currently host a mirror for Real Alt 1.20, Kazaa Lite Codec basic and full, and quick time alt 1.21.
    Kerry Jones

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    The RIAA has the right to do this but are also hurting younger people as well.

Sorry, no they don't.

When we need to pull details from someone who is probing us, has SPAM'd through our mailserver, fraud orders, etc ... I have to ask our lawyers to get a court order before the ISP will release the customer information.

The RIAA isn't doing this, and it is illegal. This is nothing more than a glorified invasion of privacy.

Wasn't it Bell or AT&T that was suing them for obtaining customer information illegally?
    Become an ISP; a great value-added service for any web host.
    http://www.vispprovider.com

All I gotta say is keep up the good works guys what the RIAA is doing is an invasion of both mine and your privacy. I say good job fellas and keep up the good work, privacy is something that is going to become more and more of an issue as the years pass by.

Alright, well here is a good example. Lets say i'm at a public library. I bring into your server and mail bomb your server. Whos responsible? I certainly wouldn't think that the public library would not be responsible as to its for public us. The fact is the RIAA is ruining our families and putting distrust and shame between the members of our families.

PS - I am NOT threatening I am giving a prime example

Edit:
    Wasn't it Bell or AT&T that was suing them for obtaining customer information illegally?
    It was neither of them. Sharman Networks(The owners of Kazaa) filed a lawsuit against the RIAA for using Kazaa Lite to illegally sure for violators.
    Kerry Jones

October 11? That's old news already then.

What was the RIAA's response? Using the DMCA/Patriot Act, or whatever the corrupt laws are? Don't get me wrong, I dont like them for their illegal tactics. But if it is to get back at those people who are committing crimes, especially when the law enforcement refuse to comply with the law, then .. well..
    1. Mmmmm food...

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    Alright, well here is a good example. Lets say i'm at a public library. I bring into your server and mail bomb your server. Whos responsible? I certainly wouldn't think that the public library would not be responsible as to its for public us. The fact is the RIAA is ruining our families and putting distrust and shame between the members of our families.

PS - I am NOT threatening I am giving a prime example

Edit:

It was neither of them. Sharman Networks(The owners of Kazaa) filed a lawsuit against the RIAA for using Kazaa Lite to illegally sure for violators.

Yes, one of the telco's sued the RIAA for invading their customer's privacy... I don't remember which one.
    Become an ISP; a great value-added service for any web host.
    http://www.vispprovider.com

The problem with the RIAA is they need to work with their customers, not fight them. Yes, downloading is wrong if you're not paying for the tunes, but taking 3 years to finally approve a legal download site like Apple's is bad. It comes down to power. They really don't want to lose it since they control most of the music being sold, etc and artificially inflating the prices doesn't help either.

The RIAA site is one of the mostly attacked sites on the web and it will be for some time.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Alright, lets do a refresher course on what the illegal things the RIAA has done. What about their amensty program? The EFF told viewers that it was a tactic used by the RIAA to round up people who confess. I believe a Kansas City Senator filed a lawsuit against the RIAA for their fake amensty program.
    Kerry Jones

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast