hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Kazaa user shuts down RIAA

Forum Jump

Kazaa user shuts down RIAA

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2003, 02:31 PM
An Awesome Dude

Kazaa user shuts down RIAA

HOORAY!!!!
HIP-HIP!!!!

Finally metallica's efforts maybe tumbling down (I hoipe it continues)

Reuters, for the London Times, 11 October 2003

An undisclosed Kazaa member managed to shut down not only the RIAA tracking system, but the website as well for several hours today. In attempt to access user's computer, the RIAA opened up the machine remotely through a hidden attachment to one of their uploading audio files, more commonly known as an "mp3." However, it appears as though the user turned the tides on the RIAA, and instead reversed the open port and uploaded a virus to the RIAA servers. At this point, in a manner unknown to the RIAA, the user, using the well known bug in Microsoft's Remote Procedure Call exploited by last month's Blaster virus and several others since then, uploaded a perpetually extracting file which then began to fill the servers with useless data. The drives eventually filled up, and the operating systems shut themselves down. 2 hours after the initial "attack," the RIAA began the task of recovering the servers. The website was first reinstated, and then 6 hours later, the search servers, that coincidentally the RIAA denies having, were reinstated.

The RIAA has refused to comment on the events. Sources say no charges will be filed unless the RIAA can prove that their anti-intrusion policy was not violated, which in this instance, it appears as though they it has been.

The Dude

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2003, 03:03 PM
Community Leader

"it appears as though they it has been"
Huh??

Old 10-22-2003, 03:08 PM
An Awesome Dude

It has been done........(Another way of saying it i guess,i just copy/pasted it,so.......)

The Dude

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2003, 03:10 PM
Web Hosting Master

Granted that the RIAA is just like microsoft as in overpricing products, stealing from artists, and so on. But now we have criminals (aka thieves) who are attacking the RIAA due to the RIAA taking these criminals to court over stealing, breaking the law?

How weird.

Old 10-22-2003, 03:15 PM
MAOMPSMITCUT (rmbr this? lol)

Sweet... I am beginning to like this guy already ^.^

Old 10-22-2003, 03:24 PM
Web Hosting Master

Yeah, baby

Old 10-22-2003, 04:00 PM
Web Hosting Master

The RIAA isn't attacking thieves - that's the problem - it's indiscriminately attacking IP users, without differentiating between users.

The article is great.

Web Hosting World: UK webhosting news/blog/forums

Old 10-22-2003, 04:02 PM
Web Hosting Master

I applaud the guy for giving the RIAA a taste of their own medcine. I hope the RIAA will someday realize they can't fight the American people nor stop everyone from downloading music.

Old 10-22-2003, 04:27 PM
Web Hosting Master

Kerry: I am suprise you actually spoke in here, that you applaud criminials/theives... wouldn't that (however far fetched) make you one too?

Brian: Is it a problem? There was a 12 yo girl that was downloaded music.. they caught her, onl a $2k fine, and people are willing to foot the bill because they love theives. Interesting.

IP users? Hmm, dynamic IPs coupled with ISP logs of what l/p was used during the timeframe AND couple the l/p with the ISP's user account w/ needed information. That's not indiscriminating...

What do you have to say now?

Old 10-22-2003, 04:28 PM
Web Hosting Master

They should consider themselves lucky the damage was able to be fixed in 6 hours time. I bet the person that infected them could have made things far worse than he did.

Quote:
6 hours later, the search servers, that coincidentally the RIAA denies having, were reinstated.
Gotta love it

Old 10-22-2003, 04:42 PM
Web Hosting Master

Shannara- But that 12 year old girl did not know she was doing wrong. She thought that since her Mom had bought/registered Kazaa, that it covered all the downloading.

What about that 78 year old man whose grandkids downloaded stuff, and he is being sued, even though he doesnt even know how to check his email? (His kids gave him the computer for christmas)

What about a house with multiple computers, but the Cable Modem bill is in the name of 1 person. Roommate #3 downloaded things and gets roommate #1 (whose name is on the bill) in trouble, because they are all behind a router.

I agree that filesharing is wrong, unless it is uncopyrighted material, or you previously purchased the album/movie. I download songs for albums that I have on Tape or Vinyl so I can listen to them (as I no longer have a tape player or record player).

But what the RIAA is doing is overstepping their bounds. They are given TOO much power and are throwing their weight around, not caring who they step on in the process.

I dont condone what this guy did, but it made me smile

Old 10-22-2003, 04:46 PM
Web Hosting Master

Not everybody is as wise and all knowing as you Shannara. If you can sit there and condem a 12 year old then maybe you should get a job with the RIAA.

Old 10-22-2003, 05:11 PM
Community Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by 1stStrike
Not everybody is as wise and all knowing as you Shannara. If you can sit there and condem a 12 year old then maybe you should get a job with the RIAA.
I find it hard to fathom that a 12 year old would not have heard of the RIAA, in relation to Kazaa and file sharing. It has been all over the news for a long time now.
As for her not knowing it was illegal, ignorance of the law is no excuse. Ask any lawyer. Downloading files to which you have no legal right is against the law. I think the RIAA is deperate to plug up the money leak, and are hoping that heavy handed law suits will do it.
Bringing down their servers is no better. How loudly did everyone yell when it was proposed that the RIAA get legal permission to damage computers known to be sharing files illegally? How does this differ, except that it happened to "them" instead of "us"?

Old 10-22-2003, 05:42 PM
MAOMPSMITCUT (rmbr this? lol)

Shannara; sorry, off topic, but are you the same Shannara who made Mirage a long time ago?

Regards,
Alfarin

Old 10-22-2003, 06:22 PM
Web Hosting Master

I just tossed a few replies to this thread as they were starting to move into the 'personal attacks' area. Please keep it civilized folks, so we don't have to put the bolt on this thread

Now offering both US & UK premium business hosting, reseller hosting and managed virtualized services.
rochen.com | rochen.co.uk | blog.rochen.com | forums.rochen.com | Twitter: @rochenhost

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Infiltrators May Have Accessed Offsite Backup in Bitly Security Breach Web Hosting News 2014-05-14 14:14:54
ARM Chip Pioneer Calxeda Shuts Down Web Hosting News 2013-12-20 12:02:09
Conference Tips and Tricks from the Pros Blog 2013-10-16 10:18:48
Posterous Shuts Down Today, Here Are Some Alternatives Blog 2013-04-30 17:26:02
Blacknight Lends a Hand to Users of Retiring Blog Platform Posterous Web Hosting News 2013-02-22 13:56:35