Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : freelamo.com

Forum Jump

freelamo.com

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2003, 12:00 PM
Web Hosting Master

freelamo.com

I run www.freelamo.com and we are looking for ideas to drive more traffic. We were mentioned on the screensavers, in the washington post, in the SF chronicle, and on security focus.

We have had over 3 million hits, as of late traffic has started to die down.

We are trying to raise money to help Adrian Lamo defend himself in court against the US government.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know, this site is completely non-profit. Every single penny goes directly to Adrian and his parents.

This is a great cause, If your not familiar with it drop by and read an article or 2.www.freelamo.com

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2003, 12:08 PM
Web Hosting Master

Yep, saw you mentioned and the interview on the screensavers.

Nice site and good work helping Adrian.

Old 10-22-2003, 11:21 PM

great site / much information.

Keep up the good work !

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2003, 11:29 PM
Web Hosting Master

Glad you guys like the site / cause. I had to strip down the site a little bit to make it an easier load. Most people hang out in the forums.

Old 10-22-2003, 11:40 PM
Web Hosting Master

And exactly why would we want to support an alleged criminal?

Old 10-22-2003, 11:43 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by westcan
And exactly why would we want to support an alleged criminal?
I am no supporter, but I DO believe that EVERYONE should be presumed innocent until PROVEN guilty, which here in the USA these days has been forgotten by many

Old 10-22-2003, 11:45 PM
Location = SoapBox

innocent til proven guilty ?

Not like the government is above prosecuting someone to get a conviction.....

BTW - Im not convinced hes not guilty, but I do admit its a possibility and he deserves every chance at a fair trial

Old 10-23-2003, 12:06 AM
Web Hosting Master

oh believe me I know what you mean. here this summer the IRS raided a funeral with loaded MP5's to get a "suspect" along with th FBI... turned out they had the wrong man, yet they interupted a very trying time for a well know townsman's family.. all because they swore that the guy they was after was guilty as hell........so yeah, I know they arent above reproach here.

Old 10-23-2003, 12:14 AM
Web Hosting Master

Adrian did commit a crime, we do not argue that fact.
We simply want the punishment to fit the crime. The FBI has broken many rules in attempting to build a case around adrian including stomping all over reporters rights. See Mark Rasch's Article for more info on this subject at http://www.theregister.com/content/55/33106.html

Adrian should not be punished with the same set of rules they use for people who steal 1000's of credit card numbers. He did nothing malicious beyond getting into their system and doing some searches on their lexis nexus account.

After doing so he reported the security vulnerability to the New York Times stating that he could see the social security numbers of column contributors.

6 months later they still had not patched the system so he informed Security Focus, They in turn reported it.

His other hacks have helped seal security vulnerabilities in google / excite / and many other companies that hold private information about the public in their databases.

I would rather Adrian Lamo hack into a company holding my personal information and report it if to the public than some unknown person who uses the information for personal gain.

If adrian got in who else was able to breach their lack of security?

Old 10-23-2003, 12:21 AM
Web Hosting Master

Look at Mitnick ... the punishment didn't fit the crime, but oh well. He knew what he was doing, and he paid the price for it by becoming the Justice Department's example.

They used him to show the stiff penalties that would result in hacking/stealing sensitive data.

With all of the new "crackers", "script kiddies", and "hackers" popping up, they're going to make a point of bringing this kid down.

While I don't agree with their handling of the case [read: throwing the first amendment to the wind], they will make an example out of him.

... It's sad that he's going to pay a much larger price than he deserves, but the DOJ is going to make an example out of him.

Old 10-23-2003, 12:26 AM
Web Hosting Master

Maybe he should have thought of the consequences before he broke the law. Oh, but I forgot, he was doing us a favour.

Old 10-23-2003, 12:31 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Maybe he should have thought of the consequences before he broke the law. Oh, but I forgot, he was doing us a favour.
If that's your view then that's fine.

I don't expect everybody to like the fact that their personal information is out there for people to take.

Old 10-23-2003, 12:49 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

Quote:
Originally posted by keepr
He did nothing malicious beyond getting into their system and doing some searches on their lexis nexus account.
Kevin Mitnick claimed he was never motivated to "enrich himself" as a social engineer. But after reading the first couple pages of his book "The Art of Deception" he talks about conning the bus transportation system for free rides at the age of 12. Such a discrepancy in what hes says so early on in the book is a joke to me. I'm impressed by Lamo and Kevin and have learned a few things from them but I don't feel sorry for them.

When you play with the fire, don't complain when the burn hurts worse than you thought it would.

"The impossibility of conceiving that this grand and wonderous universe with our conscious selves arose through chance, seems to me the chief argument for existence of God; but whether this argument is of real value I have never been able to decide... The safest conclusion seems to be that the whole subject is beyond the scope of man's intellect." - Charles Darwin

Old 10-23-2003, 01:24 AM

Quote:
If you think about it he did many people a big favor. We don't have a choice as to who hacks or tries to hack our systems but if I had my choice it would be someone like Adrain. Someone who will tell me I have a problem before some thug finds the exlpoit.
Hacking will not stop because some young man goes to jail for doing the right thing. <(my opinion) It will only force the helpful hackers underground, then you will be at the mercy of the black hats!
In my opinion we need more Adrain's. It's the others that I fear!

Old 10-23-2003, 05:49 AM

I think that alot of the focus on Adrian is on the wrong thing.
Westcan and Radix have very good points, but you have to consider the previous consequences of his actions before you say something like that.
Adrian had been doing the same thing to companies for years before he got into the NYT systems. Every time he took care not to hurt anything, and to immediatly report it so it could be fixed. When he changed a Yahoo news story, he purposely did it to an older story, to not risk a huge confusion.
Adrian committed a crime, we all know that as Keepr said, but the punishment MUST fit the crime.
Consider if I was going to walk past your house, and the door was open. You might live in a bad neighborhood, so being the concerned person I am, I might poke my head in and say, "Hey, you should close your door."
Is that breaking and entering? Kind of. But is it helping? Yes.
Then if I came back two weeks later, and your door was still open, I could leave a note on your desk saying something like, "You really shouldn't leave your door open. Someone could break in and take something." Again, that would be trespassing, But would it be a crime by moral standards?
That is what Adrian basically did, albeit with very different technology.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted