hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Colocation and Data Centers : Question....

Forum Jump

Question....

Reply Post New Thread In Colocation and Data Centers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2003, 07:36 PM
Web Hosting Master

Question

Question....

I'm looking to colo a server pretty soon to do some hosting for a relative's business. I'm looking at putting Directadmin on there, in the case that I decide to do some selling on the box also. How do you handle installing something like that? They require the IP address of the box when you install it.

(They told me that it could be changed by editing some config files in the future...)

So....regarding IP's for DNS, Directadmin, and everything else that is IP specific... how do you handle it? Do you build the boxes locally and then just ssh in and change the info? Do you install webmin and hit it that way? Can someone clue me in before I do something extremely wrong and cost myself even more money than I've already spent on this server, components, and soon controlpanel?

Thanks in advance!

Patrick

Last edited by hendricknet; 10-21-2003 at 07:48 PM.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2003, 02:41 AM
Web Hosting Master

Once you sign-up with a colocation data center, they should be able to give you the IP address that your machine will have. Once they do, you can configure your machine to the IP address and then ship it to the data center.

If they can't give you your IP address beforehand .... well .... look elsewhere.

Old 10-22-2003, 10:36 AM
Web Hosting Master

Some places will also offer you a DirectAdmin license as part of your colocation package. Look for a provider that also sells dedicated servers with DirectAdmin; they'll be able to cut you a colocation deal that includes installation and setup of DirectAdmin.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2003, 01:02 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Simpli-Erica
Some places will also offer you a DirectAdmin license as part of your colocation package. Look for a provider that also sells dedicated servers with DirectAdmin; they'll be able to cut you a colocation deal that includes installation and setup of DirectAdmin.
The two places that are local to me that I am looking at colocating do not offer directadmin dedicated servers.

Old 10-22-2003, 02:55 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by xunil37
The two places that are local to me that I am looking at colocating do not offer directadmin dedicated servers.
That's too bad! You'll end up paying substantially more for DirectAdmin if you're using it for your own servers instead of reselling it.

My best recommendation would be to buy the full license (what is it, $299?) and set it up on your server while your server is at home. Like webworkz said, the datacenter will give you IP addresses before you start there. You can connect your server to your network at home and then run the DirectAdmin installation program. Change the IP addresses after it's done installing everything. This is a pain, but if you have your heart set on a provider that doesn't offer DirectAdmin, this is about your only choice.

Old 10-22-2003, 03:01 PM
Web Hosting Master

Thanks for the feedback...

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Emerging Tech: Email, Security and Privacy Blog 2013-08-29 11:29:43
UK Tech Blog Challenges CloudFlare, Web Hosts on Free Speech Blog 2013-08-12 10:32:52
The Value of Your Intellectual Property Blog 2013-05-06 17:43:13
Joomla Hosting Study Shows Speed, Uptime Top Selling Points of a Web Host Web Hosting News 2012-11-07 15:06:36
10-14-2012 Roswell, NM - The Hosting Shift Blog 2012-10-24 15:14:40