hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Running a Web Hosting Business : Need advice/clarification business incorporation

Forum Jump

Need advice/clarification business incorporation

Reply Post New Thread In Running a Web Hosting Business Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2003, 01:53 PM
Web Hosting Master

Need advice/clarification on business incorporation

I want to incorporate one name (ex. Synthetic Corporation, Inc.) and have this act as a parent company for several other businesses. From what I understand, this can legally be one by incorporating the original name (Synthetic Corporation, Inc.) and then filing a DBA for each other business name.

Only, I'm concerned that by doing this, I won't have as much protection over the DBA name's than if I were to individually incorporate each one. What I don't want is to file a DBA and then have someone come along filing an incorporation for the same name(s) I have under a DBA --or is it impossible for someone to incorporate a name that other companies have as a DBA?

So, if you have any experience or knowledge of this issue, what is your take on this?

Also keep in mind that one of the business I intend on filing as a DBA (if I don't incorporate it instead) is one that I have long-term plans for. (Is it safe and reasonble to be operating a company for several years just as a DBA instead of incorporating the name on its own, for wider protection?)

Last edited by Synthetic; 10-21-2003 at 02:35 PM.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2003, 05:51 PM
WHT Addict

Your local state/county office that handles this may be a good place to start asking. Also www.nolo.com is a good place for self-help legal stuff and you can look at their many books at your local bookstore. I personally set up and operated a business for several years as an LLC then had an attorney take care of converting it to a corporation (sub S). In my state, you can set up a LLC online with the state agency for about $25. I'm not sure if that protects your name (I think it does) from someone using the same name as a corporation or not. Again, ask your local office.

Yes - we have running water (in the creek out back)

Old 10-23-2003, 03:53 AM
Web Hosting Master

What the heck is LLC?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2003, 09:46 AM
WHT Addict

LLC stands for Limited Liability Company. From Nolo's site "A recent addition to the world of business legal structures, limited liability companies (LLCs) combine some of the best attributes of corporations and partnerships, including limited personal liability and one-level of taxation." You can read more about it at Nolo's self-help legal site www.nolo.com

Yes - we have running water (in the creek out back)

Old 10-27-2003, 03:16 PM
Taking a break from hosting

Your best bet for protecting your business name in this case would be to trademark the name.

-Josh

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted