hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : Request for Quotes

Forum Jump

Request for Quotes

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2000, 09:58 AM

I don't know if this is against the rules of these forums but I can't find a list of guidelines anywhere. If this is against the rules I am sorry, please let me know the appropriate place to post this.

<---- Message Begins ----->

I am doing some research. Myself and three partners need a minimum of 3 servers and possibly 4. These have to be fully customizable under either colocation or dedicated services.

Server #1 Requirements:
Windows NT 2000
800 MHZ Processor
Microsoft IIS 5
Microsoft Index Server
9+ gigabyte SCSI Drive
512 Megs of Memory

Server #2 Requirements:
Windows NT 2000
800 Mhz processor or Dual Processor Capable
Microsoft SQL Server 7+
27+ Gigabyte SCSI Drive Array
512 Megs of Memory

Server #3 Requirements:
Windows NT 2000 (Possibly Linux)
800 MHZ Processor or Dual Processor Capable
Proprietary Communications Software
Connection to External Leaseline from Wireless Provider.
9+ Gigabyte SCSI Drive
256 - 512 Megs of Memory.

Server #4 Requirements:
Windows NT 2000
Dual 650 MHZ Processors
Proprietary Server Software.
50+ Gigabyte SCSI Drive Array
1 Gigabyte of Memory.

Another possible configuration is to eliminate Server #4 and modify Server #2 to look like:
Server #2 Requirements:
Windows NT 2000
Dual 900 Mhz processor
Microsoft SQL Server 7+
Proprietary Server Software
80+ Gigabyte SCSI Drive Array
1.5 Gigabytes of Memory

Server Pathways:
Leased Line <-> Communications Server <-> SQL Server
SQL Server <-> Webserver
SQL Server <-> Proprietary Server <-> Web Server.

We also need a minimum of OC-48 connectivity to the Internet Backbone, Diesel Powered Back-Up Generator, Nightly Incremental Backups onto 30 Gigabyte tape, 24/7 monitoring and PCAnywhere connectivity. We would also need physical access to the machines to load software and data at rollout. Rollout is expected to be within 3-6 months.
Our wireless provider will most likely be either Bellsouth, Verizon or AT&T as they have the best United States Coverage at the moment.

If you know of anyone who can provide these services please let me know with a full quote by email.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2000, 10:10 AM
Founder - Jaguarpc

Wow, all that microsoft software.... open up your wallet

Old 09-18-2000, 10:22 AM
WHT Addict

Try out http://www.servers.catalog.com/
They have similar plans to that you want.

Rajiv Mehta

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2000, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
Wow, all that microsoft software.... open up your wallet
Software isn't a problem. We have that covered. It is the hardware and connectivity we need. And while linux/unix is a possibility for the future it would increase our rollout from 3-6 months to 9-18 months as we already have the system about 90% finished.

Old 09-18-2000, 12:03 PM

info on quotes

Hello,

I don't know if I am allowed to reply to your request but I work for a dedicated hosting company that is a division of Micron (www.dedicatedhosting.com). In your case with the need for multiple servers we would work out a special pricing for you. I can get a little more specific if you let me know if you are planning to use your own Windows 2000 licenses or if you are interested in "leasing" from your host. Let me know what questions you may have and I can get you some more info. if you would like.

Thank you.

Old 09-18-2000, 12:39 PM
Web Hosting Master

You may be best to build the servers yourself and colocate at a tier 1 NOC such a GlobalCenter, Above.Net, Exodus. It might be a good idea to buy a full rack and some rack shelfing so you can fit several servers in.

Old 09-18-2000, 12:52 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Post IP's

HostGuy,

The day you add 8 IP's free included on the package I'll join you. You have a speedy network and nice servers it's just those *^* IP's. 1 is just too little...

Old 09-18-2000, 01:19 PM
Web Hosting Master

AboveNet is a class act. Not the cheapest guy in town, but definitely worth considering.

If you colo at a Tier 1, use the lowest-profile servers you can (Dell PowerEdge 2450's are rack-mountable, for example) and then you could lease out the rest of the rack to recoup your costs.

Old 09-18-2000, 02:18 PM

FYI, we offer up to a full class C (not that you would want that much) on our servers.

Old 09-18-2000, 07:39 PM
Web Hosting Master

Smile [ot] A note of welcome for Wayne..

Welcome aboard Wayne - glad to see you over here too.

For those who don't know wluke, he's the admin for the highly successful forums over at SitePoint, and is a wonderful guy to work and converse with. Please make him welcome.

Old 09-18-2000, 07:48 PM
Web Hosting Master

Hello Wayne

*cough cough* *tries to catch his breath*

Now, I know my judgement is biaised... but why would someone _waste_ so much money on a win2000 server... when Microsoft's network is 98% based on FreeBSD, Unix and Linux system.

I wonder why? Don't they trust their own products?

Of course, some people like to have a graphical interface on a server (who knows why)

Seriously, you should consider buying your own servers instead of going dedicated, you will have to spend more at first but eventually you will save a lot... especially for such high-end servers.

(ever thought of buying a $160 000 server... quadruple 450 xeon processor, 4gb ram...

I built that server at http://www.valinux.com ... try it, its fun to dream.

Old 09-18-2000, 07:58 PM
Web Hosting Master

Felix, I should remind you that many of Microsoft's products were acquired in takeovers, thus they haven't really bothered to convert all the original FreeBSD/*nix boxes over to Win2K. Hotmail is of course, the ultimate example.

That said, I must say I have been extremely impressed by Win2K's reliability so far. I've done some lab tests at work, as well as on WebExpose, and so far, my lab test server has gone on for around 42 days and 5 hours, and counting, without crashing. This is, of course, without inifitely looping ASP or CF code crashing the dang thing. Over on WebExpose, downtime has been minimal and 99% due to bad code.

Old 09-18-2000, 08:36 PM
Web Hosting Master

BC, I was not talking about Hotmail... I was talking about MS's own business network. They had a memo sent around _not_ to use win2k till the service pack because it was too bugged.

I once saw one of a good NT server... the guy managed to shut down all the graphical process to actually have some stability and power. If you can do that, it will be good. If not, I hold my position on MS's products.

Anyone here run win98 and _shut it down_ without experiencing a single bug raise his hand. If you use the computer only for spreadsheet, it will rarely bug.
else... bah.

The same applies to Win2k.

Old 09-18-2000, 08:38 PM
Web Hosting Master

Smile

Felix, should have made it clear then. I thought you were referring to all the required products et. al....

Old 09-18-2000, 11:22 PM

Our current software development requires the use of Windows NT servers. It is based on 3 years of Research. To port it to Linux and/or Unix would require 9 - 18 months at least before testing could be performed. What we have now has been running for 9 months at a 96% success rate.

The current software includes Digital Radio Communications, Mapping, Spatial Tracking, GPS, Real-Time Routing and many other features. The system is compareable to products like Onstar, Teletrac, and field force automation systems used by companies like Sears. The only difference is we can offer it to companies for as low as $300 a seat not counting mobile hardware. The mobile hardware can be something as inexpensive as a $150 dollar Palm Pilot or as expensive as a $5000 dollar Ruggedized Laptop. This provides small local fleets features that only multi-million dollar corporations could afford before.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
IBM Wins $1B Cloud Hosting Contract for US Department of Interior Web Hosting News 2013-08-14 15:38:11
Defense Department Looking to Award $450 Million Cloud Builder Contract Web Hosting News 2013-06-27 13:14:54
Prolexic Reports Key Holes in Popular DDoS Attack Tool Dirt Jumper Web Hosting News 2012-08-14 14:48:14
Netwise Hosting Launches Real-time Colocation Cost Calculator Web Hosting News 2012-06-22 15:00:14
Colocation Firm Telx Launches Marketplace for Clients to Find Partners, Services Web Hosting News 2012-04-23 15:41:02