Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow Look! XO Irvine Pricing. How does this compare?

A sales rep from XO in Irvine, CA gave me the following pricing. Can you tell me how this compares to other colo providers, good or bad?

Collocation Space pricing :

(1 Shelf = 4U’s)

1 Shelf = $150 per month

2 or more shelves = $100 per month per shelf

½ Cabinet = $250 per month

Full Cabinet = $500 per month

Bandwidth Pricing:

250Kbps Committed Rate Bandwidth = $150 per month

500Kbps Committed Rate Bandwidth = $250 per month

1Mbps Committed Rate Bandwidth = $330 per month

2Mbps or more Committed Rate Bandwidth = $225 per meg per month

We will only need 4u to start with. How does data transfer work? 250kbps Commited = How many GB of transfer per month?

Thanks... I am a newbie doing some research.

Depends how they are measuring. Committed doesn't mean capped. If they use a 95th % method, I'd say 250 kbps is somthing like 30-40 GB/month transfer.

The pricing seems too much for XO bandwidth.

That seems high to me. 1Mbps should be in the $125-$150 range for a 10Mbit or less commit. $330 seems a bit ridiculous to me.

they do use a 95th %

Is anyone out there paying less than this at an XO datacenter?

Or can anyone recommend a different facility in SoCal with better prices. I dont want offers from small hosting companies reselling their space and bandwidth, i would prefer to go straight to the source.

Thanks

For small colocation like you're doing, you're actually going to be much better off going with a reseller.

We're a reseller with MFN/Abovenet. Abovenet's minimum commitment is $500/month. Unless you're colocating at least 4-5 servers, it just isn't worth it to go with them directly. The high prices XO quoted you leads me to believe the same thing exists there... like Abovenet, they probably cater to people who are interested in buying at least 1 full rack and 10Mbit of bandwidth.

My recommendation: Look for a reputable reseller that has been around for a while. Call them and ask questions. Heck, call them in the middle of the night -- we've had customers do this before to test our response time. You're going to get a much better deal this way, and more support as well.

I was charged
    $100/shelf (4u) $50/setup
    $250M/ 1Mbps commitment.

Usually, they will 'give' you fairly large amount of space inside their carrier facilitys because then your forced to also buy traffic from them. The 1/2 cabinet and up is good pricing for a carrier facility, but he's hitting you pretty good on your lower commitment values. Its typical to see over $200 per Mbps from a top carrier, but 300+ is a bit much for XO. You won't get much under that unless you buy from a reseller, but then expect to pay more for quality space and power.

I'm not usually so open with pricing, but XO pissed me off pretty bad. I had really bad service and support with them.

They're not high if you're going directly with the Carrier. $330 per Mbps is pretty right if you go direct with the carrier.

XO support is just so so, when it's about a single server.

Btw, just for your info, Dilhole on the board is going to have XO in Irvine by this month. PM him and you'll get a much better pricing.

Contact mfjpjay on AIM. I know he just posted a response but he's the man to talk out a deal with. I know he is

I don't have XO in Irvine. Dilhole is the man to talk to for XO in Irvine. He'll cut you a good deal.

I don't know Dilhole, and his name certainly doesn't inspire confedence
    But, it is true you will get a better deal and service from a _good_ reseller. The problem is, there are more bad than good
    Make an informed decision, ask alot of questions, and if its too cheap, then it probably is too cheap.

Otherwise, take a more agressive stance with XO, but be prepaired for them to be fairly firm. Contract neg. can be tough to do well, and 1Mbps is not alot of leverage in the deal A reseller is more likely to give you a better price on small traffic.

Btw, i was buying directly from the carrier. But, I pulled all the gear I had with XO due to issues with them. They weren't holding too much anyway, and I'm glad of that now.

That was my initial contract pricing, not a guess of what I think people pay.

XO treats customer differently from what they pay each month. It's pretty annoying when you think about the situation. So it's really better to go with the reseller if you asked me about it.

Sounds about right. Places like Internap or Level3 wont even bother unless you commit to half a rack and 5Mbps in SoCal. It's been a royal pain the ass to find colocation in the southland with physical access at a decent price. So far I've found nothing...

Definately worth giving Dilhole a PM or email. You'll probably get more decent pricing.

I colo one box with NextMillenium (www.nextmill.net), which is a few blocks away from XO in Irvine. I also colo another box with InsiderHosting (www.insiderhosting.com) in downtown Los Angeles.

afaik, insiderhosting has mzima bw, which is an *excellent* provider (very reliable and performant tier 2, ala internap and peer1). worth giving them a shout if you dont mind the trip down the freeway, id say.

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

XO pissed me off pretty bad. I had really bad service and support with them.

Likewise. Avoid if possible IMHO
    Robin Balen
    Gyron Internet Ltd - http://gyron.net/
    UK colocation, managed hosting and connectivity services with 100% uptime SLAs

Find a provider that is multi-homed.

It is VERY unwise in this unstable market to rely on *any* single provider. At XO Irvine you get XO and only XO - which wouldn't be near the top of my list to begin with.

XO has a history of treating their colo customers like crap and trying to steal their clients.

Oh, and no, I don't think $330 a meg is a good price for XO even at such a low commit. Their network isn't worth it, IMHO.

Originally posted by Dragoon

XO has a history of treating their colo customers like crap and trying to steal their clients.
    Gee that sure is how it's starting to sound from this post.

Can you suggest a "multi-homed" provider with better prices than these?

As rusko said, you can find a better price than this, Mzima doesn't do colo anymore, but if you are looking for a full rack, you can get a full rack in the One Wilshire building in downtown for $600, and can get probably $130/mbit with low commit from Mzima in that building.

Contact scottk@mzima.net for details.

Mzima bandwidth is much better than XO anyhow, if you don't need a full rack, you might contact insiderhosting.com, he has Mzima bandwidth and can probably work with you better

for what its worth, I've heard good things about Mzima; One Wilshire space is still pretty pricey, though.

Yes, Mzima is excellent.

But then if you look at it from another point of view, XO is a carrier that owns the fiber network.

I've done very well with single home Verio. Reliablity has been superb, and support has always been on the ball with me. Also, the network is pretty solid, very few area are > 60ms for the gamers. I have west coast based companys hosting with us that ping well under 100, and were on the other side of the country. Not any network is 100% to everyone, but I'm very happy with Verio in general.

I would rather be in a carrier nuetral facility than a carrier facilty even if your only single homed. If you do have problems, the building is full of people willing to work with you.

We won't be out west for atleast another year, but I'm sure you can find a decent reseller. Try calling carrier nuetral facilitys and ask for resellers in the building you want to be in. Let them know what your looking for, and you should find something reasonable.

One problem with the carrier neutral facility is support. Unless you're on site or close to the facility, you will have a little problem with this. With the carrier, you can call them up and they usually would provide some kind of support for free (for XO, the support you get is totally based on what you paid them per month). I just feel better that there is somebody on site to do some simple stuff when it's needed. My experience with carrier neutral facility is lots of money paid for remote hands. For most facility, they start at 75, but most are in the 100 range.

Also, most carrier facility are considered carrier neutral as well, with XO and Level3, they would allow cross connects with other providers. It is more expensive by doing that though.

Hope this info would help you choose.

aaron, how is one wilshire pricey?

Cabinets are like $600, you can get good sized cages at $15-20 sq. feet.

All prices are quite standard in my opinion, cross connects $50-100, powre $10/Amp...I'm not seeing the expensive part
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast