Good for the price?

I will be purchasing a new server and will get it colocated. Here is the setup:

Dual (2) AMDŽ Athlon MP 2400+ Processors
    1.5GB ECC DDR266 PC2100 Memory
    Two (2) 120GB ATA133 7200RPM Hard Drives
    Promise ATA133 RAID Onboard Controller
    Intel 10/100BT Ethernet
    450W PSU
    Sony 52x CD-ROM
    Floppy
    Tower Case

All of this for $2500CAD including shipping and tax.

Will be hosting a maximum of 85 sites on it.
    Is this a good deal? It is new, not used.

Is it enough for what I want to do with it?
    Sorry, I am new to servers like this and I really don't know what is best for website hosting.
    look here for free hosting...

also, with an 8mbit connection, can I host a small 16 player HL server? Will it take too many resources and bandwidth?

You probably want a rackmount server to save on monthly costs of rack space.

I don't mind the monthly costs, the max difference will be like $25-40 so that is nothing major. I will be hosting sites for free, and currently with 10 clients, that pays for most of the monthly cost.

Regarding your question about the half life server, I'd imagine if you aren't using much of your 8 Mbit connection, it'll be perfect. I use to run a 12 player counterstrike server on a T1 (1.54mbps) and it was fine.

About that price, you might call interpromicro.com to see what kind of price they can get you.

I got a quesiton though. You said the server is $2500CAD a month, then what is the monthly recurrning cost?

no, it costs $2500 after tax and shipping. I am looking into different providers for bandwidth, but right now, I want to know if the server is good enough so I can start saving for it.

You want to stay with rackmountable to save you money in the long run. 40 a month means 480 a year.

but the rackmountable servers I saw were slower than this, and had less power.
    Here is an example this is $100 more:
    IntelŽ Pentium 4 - 3.06GHz Processor
    Hyperthread Technology Enabled
    512K Cache/533MHz Front Side Bus
    Intel 845GE Chipset
    1GB Micron PC2100 DDR (2 x 512MB)
    120GB ATA100 7200RPM Hard Drive
    Dual (2) Intel 10/1000BT Gigabit NICs

-Less ram
    -1 Hard-drive (I want RAID because a drive failed on me once and my clients got really mad at me)
    -you can debate this: But I love Athlons (Currently running a 1700+ @ 2.3GHz), and I think that the dual MPs are more powerful.

Best you could do is a 2U rackmountable (if AMD).. I'm suprised you would go tower.. unless some place charges you the same 1U or tower.. it's just not a good idea..

As for the price maybe I'm wrong.. but I think $1500 might be more reasonable for that computer.. I build computers so that just sounds more like what I would pay if I where to deploy a Dual 2U (but then again I might use semi used parts)

85 sites would be fine on either box long as they didn't wrong cpu intesive scripts, mysql etc. and a 16 player cs will probally do fine..

You may want to get a quote for a server from rackmountsetc. I think they can offer you a better deal than $2500.

$2500 is in Cdn. Where you get this quote from amirk999?

I used www.tigerdirect.ca for servers. They use Vison and CyberPC servers. I don't know any other retailers in Canada that have servers for sale.

Related Posts from theWHIR.com