Thread: Colo in Chicago

Colo in Chicago

Can anyone recommend a Colo provider in Chicago??

Thanks -

There is servercentral.net they are in Equinix in Chicago

I'll second that recommendation, you won't find better bandwidth than servercentral in chicago, possibly not in most of the US

(only find better in the west coast...*coughourscough*)

And we don't colo so that wasn't self promotion
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

We are using servercentral.net. From our experience, their network are fast and stable.

fdcservers.net

Originally posted by music
    fdcservers.net
    Probably not the best choice if cost isn't your #1 concern.

just a quick plug for FDC.. they've gotten they're QoS hardware working now. Speeds are consistant and I haven't had any issues for a while now. If you haven't tried FDC in a while, it may be time to give it a shot =) I think the QoS devices they have running will really help them. . . no more bandwidth abusers.

I think coloquest.com in Chicago. They're using Level3.
    Roy K.
    Pixie Internet Services - http://www.pixiehost.com
    Affordable, reliable hosting solution with Instant Activation

I would highly recommend ServerCentral. I would avoid FDC like the plague on so many levels.

If your budget can afford servercentral, great place.

For the price FDC offers great deals and the network has been great since going to the BGP. :-)

servercentral's network performance (ie latency) gets mixed reviews. i know of at least two people running latency sensitive stuff on their bw and having issues with some routes. should be fine for webhosting.

fdc was, is and will be crap. do the math or be an idiot, your choice. qos hardware, bgp, any other cool sounding acronym - its still a pig and it is dirty.

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

Rusko

Well when you get your website up at http://www.rusko.us up and running you can show all of us idiots, what it is all about.

Is that on topic? Dun think so...

Hey I know. Lets start a flamewar! w00t!
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"

your trolling has been reported. i do not need to prove anything to anyone, people with clue are aware of my credentials.

i attempted to steer the OP in the right direction using the appropriate tone to describe the services of the respective companies. if you think FDC can defy mathematics and push more traffic over a pipe than the pipe can transport, please stay at FDC. there has to be a place where people like this can go, after all =]

paul

Rusko

Well when you get your website up at http://www.rusko.us up and running you can show all of us idiots, what it is all about.

I dont' want to mention it, but since you guys brought up FDC, I'll tell you my server after the IP change gets 125KB/s of upstream speed now. During the IP change, the network was fast at I get 600KB/s. Now, it's worse than usual.

Sorry, in attempting to steer OP, I took it as insinuating anyone who uses FDC is an Idiot.
    MR. Rusko:

You comparisons related to “PIGS” may or may not be true. Assuming “it takes one to know one.” I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

CC: TROLLING Department

Sorry, in attempting to steer OP, I took it as insinuating anyone who uses FDC is an Idiot.
    MR. Rusko:

You comparisons related to “PIGS” may or may not be true. Assuming “it takes one to know one.” I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

CC: TROLLING Department
    i will put my money on my connectivity vs fdc's any day, so no pigs here. and no, i dont mean the place where my mailserver sits.

anyone who uses fdc without knowing exactly what service to expect is an idiot, yes. there are a few applications that are fine for fdc, ie non mission critical download servers. web hosting is not one of them.

paul

I must agree with rusko on this, FDC is a horriable solution for any service requirements aside from non-mission critical services. Anything that may require fast, reliable access should NEVER be put on an FC server or housed in the FDC facility.

I would have to say, rusko's comments on FDC has been proven by prior posts, I can not comment on it directly, as this would be unfair since I haven't used it. However, I definately don't feel that the comments here have all been a conspiracy.

With Servercentral, I've been using their network since the early days for many things, including latency sensative stuff, and have NEVER had a problem that wasn't resolved. They have numerous providers, providers such as internap, peer1, nlayer, etc.

I'd be interested in knowing the details on the issues with their network and whether they were ever addressed with their support team, as I've been with servercentral for quite awhile and never had a unsolved problem, and I of course, have no alternative motives in this, I've been purely a customer since day 1.

On popular public forums such as WHT, with thousands and thousands of users, there will always be members respecting a company/host, while many others will dislike it, and have negative comments about it. Not necessarily based on his own experience.

I wouldn't say its a conspiracy, but again...there were some examples of such in the past here at WHT
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

I would certainly back rusko and snikn on this one. Anything that you want up and access within reasonable time must be kept off there. Here is why:

Some things that have been problem in the past, and still have been now:

1) Networks issues, lactency and througput. It just goes up and down like a roller coaster
    2) Abuse issue. Massive amount of download sites on there. I'm speculating about the amount of abuse.

Some problem that were in the past and am not sure if it still is now.

1) Support, some get answer so fast, some never get answer

Sharing opinions good or bad is the intent of the forums.

Calling people Idiots and or Comparisons to Pigs is a little much, this is the point I was trying to make to Mr. Rusko.

Just my opinion.

Rusko

Music, you have alot of learning to do, might I suggest you learn a little more before opening your mouth(non-metaphorically speaking)on these forums and attacking users who have alot more background here than you.

Wow, doesn't it just really make you happy when a thread starts your looking forward to getting answers from...

...then a day later there's a major flamewar going on?

Grr...

Aaron

apologies for the flamewar, my strong comments were directed at fdc. likewise, my pig comment was directed at fdc as well. someone needs to practice their reading comprehension skills.

however, if someone defends fdc in the face of an excruciatingly large body of evidence to the contrary, anyone (including me), is within their rights to question said someone's intelligence. its like trying to persuade someone that 2+2=5.

i never claimed to be suave and/or subtle - when there is a strong point to be made, i will word it accordingly.

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters