Thread: Load Balancers?

Question Load Balancers?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good load balancer?

Has anyone used the Radware Web Server Director (WSD)?

Thanks for any advice.
    BeDifferentSolutions | "For when Indian-based solutions just won't do."
    *We hire, train and manage extremely skilled technical support employees for your business*
    US and European Based Representatives | Dedicated and Semi-Dedicated Options | Level 1/2/3 Skillsets
    Expertise Since 1999 | www.bedifferentsolutions.com | info@bedifferentsolutions.com

RadWare WSD-Pro+

We have been using RadWare WSD-Pro+ since 2000, for our shared Advanced Load Balancing and Complex Cluster Service (shared service - using the RW WSD-Pro+ for multiple client clusters).

It works well and is quite configurable, both as an advanced firewall and also as a good clustering device.

It's greatest weak point is the incredibly difficult and cumbersome to use configuration utility java interface (as the command line is even worse, and doesn't allow to configure many crucical options at all -- the java interface must be used for those). It is very buggy and makes even simple conifguration tasks take a long time and be incredibly convolluted.

But, other than difficulty in configuring it, once you get past that, it is quite good.

Look into the linux virtual server, http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org

Very configurable. Has support for redundant load balancers, etc...

Plus all you need is a cheap little celeron with 128 MB of ram and two ethernet cards....

ipfw ... I mean; no, don't do that.

I would have to say RadWare seems to be one of the most common in our DC. I've never used it, personally, but it seems to be what our customers prefer.
    Become an ISP; a great value-added service for any web host.
    http://www.vispprovider.com

Thanks Haralds. The funny thing is this is what we heard from others too. They said their sales and support were great. The system works without flaw, but the java interface is a pain. Much like the old Ensim SX interface.
    BeDifferentSolutions | "For when Indian-based solutions just won't do."
    *We hire, train and manage extremely skilled technical support employees for your business*
    US and European Based Representatives | Dedicated and Semi-Dedicated Options | Level 1/2/3 Skillsets
    Expertise Since 1999 | www.bedifferentsolutions.com | info@bedifferentsolutions.com

We use the Cisco Load Directors. Work great, easy to manage and you can pick them up on ebay for a good price.
    SiteSouth
    Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV. Colocation

I support them at work, we are a large company and get quite a few hits. They are dead nuts reliable. In the3+ years we have been using them, there has onle been one single instance where they caused a failure. We have several different models and they all work well. (all DS models.)

The Java tool stinks pretty bad though.

I highly recommend LVS (Linux Virtual Server) . We have 2 celery 400's w/ 128mb of ram each that route 16 million email messages per day to our mail system. How can you beat free? Plus with high availability failover, you can build a backup to takeover if needed.

the company i host with has me setup behind redundant LVS-based SLBs, they work great. completely blackbox and transparent to me - they handle all the security and maintenance and make sure i don't mess them up by touching them

that kind of benefit is provided to medium and larger clients free of charge. very cool.