Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 53
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    214

    Abovenet Data Center in San Francisco

    Anyone know anything about the re-opened Abovenet facility in San Francisco at 365 Main St? I would like to tour it but don't have any time. So wondering if anyone here knows what it is like. I am looking to colocate 2-3 racks in the San Francisco area. Below are the facilities I toured:
    Level 3, too expensive!
    United Layer, good prices but facility is, well.....
    Navisite/ClearBlue, it's ok
    ServePath, same as United Layer, first impression not good.
    eXchange, ok, but ltheir power outage makes me nervous.

    Anyone know of any other good colo's in SF?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    542
    We use AboveNet in San Jose and have had nothing but excellent service.

    High quality bandwidth, no outtages, and good staff.

    If physical location is really not that important, San Jose provides much easier in/out access than downtown SF.

    We were in AboveNet in the original 18th floor building and it used to take 40 minutes just to park, clear security, get to the freight elevator, and then finally into the colo.

  3. #3
    I'd suggest you combine eXchange and *********** which means you get your colocation space at eXchange and the pipe from ***********. That way you have some of the best possible combination.

    The main exchange (365 Main) is quite new but I've heard it's a nice data-center. I don't have any first-hand information on them though as I don't know anyone who's there.

    BTW: 365Main is no longer an Above.Net data-center. It's been sold.
    321Host-It Internet Services
    http://www.321host-it.com
    ICQ: 17021242 E-mail: gernot@321host-it.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,780
    eXchange have tons of provider. That is their attracting point. However, they're on the expensive side as well.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,679
    Second the Abovenet/San Jose choice. Everyone here already knows that we use them and love them.

    P.S. We're in SJC3, not SJC2 (as Spiv is), but both datacenters are great.

    PM me if you want an Abovenet sales contact. They've been very helpful to us.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    231
    How many SJC facilities does AboveNet have that whats the diff between sjc2 & 3

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,780
    SJ3 is the super DC they got. It's brand new. SJ2 is across the street, i belive, but it's an older DC. erica, did i get it right?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    214
    But I am looking for a Data Center in SF....
    Besides, I thought the Data Center Abovenet built in SF was the newest one and better built than the San Jose facilities. Am I wrong? Is there someone at Abovenet I can call to answer this question?

    P.S. I use the new Google toolbar to block pop-ups. So private messages don't come through because they are pop-ups... I hate pop-ups...

  9. #9
    Originally posted by Papa Smurff
    But I am looking for a Data Center in SF....
    Besides, I thought the Data Center Abovenet built in SF was the newest one and better built than the San Jose facilities. Am I wrong? Is there someone at Abovenet I can call to answer this question?

    P.S. I use the new Google toolbar to block pop-ups. So private messages don't come through because they are pop-ups... I hate pop-ups...
    Well, the data-center you're looking at (at 365 Main st) is no longer owned by AboveNet so I don't think AboveNet will be able to answer your questions

    I think they still have a smaller POP in SF so you might want to call them to find out about such a location.
    321Host-It Internet Services
    http://www.321host-it.com
    ICQ: 17021242 E-mail: gernot@321host-it.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    214
    Originally posted by Mfjp
    eXchange have tons of provider. That is their attracting point. However, they're on the expensive side as well.

    But what about that massive power outage they had a few weeks back? That makes me nervous. I also herd that many Data Centers in SF went down (network wise) because of the 200 Paul/eXchange power outage. I was told that most Internet feeds of most Data Centers in SF are provided via 200 Paul St (aka eXchange)

    Can anyone confirm this?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    214
    Originally posted by Gernot
    Well, the data-center you're looking at (at 365 Main st) is no longer owned by AboveNet so I don't think AboveNet will be able to answer your questions

    I think they still have a smaller POP in SF so you might want to call them to find out about such a location.
    Who did Abovenet sell it to? Do you know?
    What do you mean by small POP?

  12. #12
    Well, eXchange is a nexus in SF so to speak, but I wouldn't say that most internet feeds go through eXchange.

    That power outage was the only incident we've had since August 2001 and I'm pretty confident it was the only incident of that kind we'll experience in a long time.
    321Host-It Internet Services
    http://www.321host-it.com
    ICQ: 17021242 E-mail: gernot@321host-it.com

  13. #13
    Originally posted by Papa Smurff
    Who did Abovenet sell it to? Do you know?
    What do you mean by small POP?
    Well, AboveNet sold it to 365 Inc..
    By small POP I mean some kind of data-room which might be located in a larger data-center. I don't think AboveNet has their own large building or data-center in SF anymore.
    321Host-It Internet Services
    http://www.321host-it.com
    ICQ: 17021242 E-mail: gernot@321host-it.com

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    214
    Originally posted by Gernot
    Well, eXchange is a nexus in SF so to speak, but I wouldn't say that most internet feeds go through eXchange.

    That power outage was the only incident we've had since August 2001 and I'm pretty confident it was the only incident of that kind we'll experience in a long time.
    You say "we've had"... you mean you work for eXchange or are a customer?

  15. #15
    Originally posted by Papa Smurff
    You say "we've had"... you mean you work for eXchange or are a customer?
    I don't work for them, I've been a customer of eXchange since August 2001 (the date I've mentioned in the previous post ).
    321Host-It Internet Services
    http://www.321host-it.com
    ICQ: 17021242 E-mail: gernot@321host-it.com

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    214
    Well, I've already toured eXchange.
    I think I'll tour 365 Main St. It must be a nice place if Abovenet built it. I'll let you guys what I think after the tour. I'll also try to find out if it is the newest facility Abovenet built.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,679
    Just to clear things up, Abovenet no longer owns any datacenters in SF.

    SJC3 (which is where we are) is Abovenet's newest San Jose datacenter. Mfjp, you're thinking of SJC2/SJC1, which are both downtown and are close to each other. SJC3 is north of San Jose... closer to Fremont. I believe SJC1 is mostly offices... there certainly isn't much hosted there.

    365 Main is great as well, although personally I'm very happy with SJC3. I would recommend SJC3 over 365 Main because of their uptime guarantees. Both are of the same quality construction.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    214
    Originally posted by Simpli-Erica
    Just to clear things up, Abovenet no longer owns any datacenters in SF.

    SJC3 (which is where we are) is Abovenet's newest San Jose datacenter. Mfjp, you're thinking of SJC2/SJC1, which are both downtown and are close to each other. SJC3 is north of San Jose... closer to Fremont. I believe SJC1 is mostly offices... there certainly isn't much hosted there.

    365 Main is great as well, although personally I'm very happy with SJC3. I would recommend SJC3 over 365 Main because of their uptime guarantees. Both are of the same quality construction.
    When was SJC3 built?
    Also, if 365 Main ans SJC3 are of the same construction and both built by Abovenet then I would assume the 365 Data Center offers the same uptime guarantees. I'll ask them if they match the SJ3 uptime guarantees. If they do then I think 365 could be a good choice... that is, if their pricing is ok.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,679
    Originally posted by Papa Smurff
    When was SJC3 built?
    Also, if 365 Main ans SJC3 are of the same construction and both built by Abovenet then I would assume the 365 Data Center offers the same uptime guarantees. I'll ask them if they match the SJ3 uptime guarantees. If they do then I think 365 could be a good choice... that is, if their pricing is ok.
    I'm not sure when SJC3 was built.... 1999, perhaps? It's fairly new.

    Abovenet no longer provides service at 365 Main, so their 100% network and power uptime guarantee (in effect at SJC3) wouldn't apply there. It's up to each individual service provider that colocates there to provide uptime guarantees. Most of them, from what I've seen, don't provide uptime guarantees at all.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    214
    Originally posted by Simpli-Erica
    I'm not sure when SJC3 was built.... 1999, perhaps? It's fairly new.

    Abovenet no longer provides service at 365 Main, so their 100% network and power uptime guarantee (in effect at SJC3) wouldn't apply there. It's up to each individual service provider that colocates there to provide uptime guarantees. Most of them, from what I've seen, don't provide uptime guarantees at all.

    FYI.
    I just talked with a Mandy Thomasian from Abovenet. She is a manager there. She said that the 365 Main facility in SF was built in 2001 by Abovenet and that the SJ3 facility is 2 years older.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,780
    365 Main St. is a bit on the expensive side as well considering their connectivity and fiber availability. On their site, they mentioned only MFN and XO have fibers in their building. So, if you're going into that DC, you'll be force to buy MFN, XO, or the mix they provide.

    You may want to check out 360 Spear street and 60 Federal as well in SF.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    214
    Originally posted by Mfjp
    365 Main St. is a bit on the expensive side as well considering their connectivity and fiber availability. On their site, they mentioned only MFN and XO have fibers in their building. So, if you're going into that DC, you'll be force to buy MFN, XO, or the mix they provide.

    You may want to check out 360 Spear street and 60 Federal as well in SF.
    Thanks! That is good info. I'll be sure to bring that up when I schedule a tour.
    BTW what do you mean by "expensive"?
    I don't mind paying a little more for a nice place.
    Can you please give me the URL to their site. I'd like to call them and arrange a tour. If you could also include a URL to 360 Spear that would be helpful too.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    214
    Found a URL related to the 365 Main facility (searched for "365 main st colocation" in Google).
    www.pb-solutions.com (I tried to link it below :...)

    Pacific Business Solutions

    Looks like they use XO, MCI and MFN for Internet connectivity.

    Never herd of Pacific Business Solutions. They also seemed to be associated with www.sfcolocation.com. When I searched their IP block on ARIN it appears to be a part of SFCOLOCATION.
    Anyone here herd of these two companies?

    Is sfcolocation in any other data centers in SF?

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    231
    Originally posted by Mfjp
    365 Main St. is a bit on the expensive side as well considering their connectivity and fiber availability. On their site, they mentioned only MFN and XO have fibers in their building. So, if you're going into that DC, you'll be force to buy MFN, XO, or the mix they provide.

    You may want to check out 360 Spear street and 60 Federal as well in SF.
    I emailed them a while back enquiring about the companies that have a presence in the building. This is the list I got:

    MFN/Abovenet
    XO Comm.
    PB Solutions
    GNI
    NASA
    IP Networks
    SBC
    MCI

  25. #25
    hmm, anyone know what NASA bw costs <grin>

    paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

    dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    214
    Well, I toured the data center. I must say I was quite impressed.
    sfcolocation.com even quoted me $49 per megabit. I thought that was a good price so I decided to go with them. Thanks for all your help guys. I feel good about the decision.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    29
    sfcolocation.com even quoted me $49 per megabit.
    Who are the carriers at this price and is that 1u or 2u? Any contracts?

    I'll be looking myself within the next 5-6 weeks and this downtown location is ideal for me. Only 15 min. from the pad should I need to be there in a hurry for support.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    542
    Originally posted by rusko
    hmm, anyone know what NASA bw costs <grin>

    paul
    Is there a minimum bandwidth required or is the quote valid for as little as one mb and one server?

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    214
    Originally posted by Cisco_CCIE
    Who are the carriers at this price and is that 1u or 2u? Any contracts?

    I'll be looking myself within the next 5-6 weeks and this downtown location is ideal for me. Only 15 min. from the pad should I need to be there in a hurry for support.

    Well all I know is that they use 3 carriers. You should ask them if you want details. All you need to do is go to their site or give them a call.

  30. #30
    I don't know how good a price this is, but I've been looking at ServerPath, http://coloserv.com. I have a friend that has colo with them, and he says it's a great service.

    I think $59 a month is a good price (for 1u).... how does that compare to competitors?

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    214
    Originally posted by kd7lxl
    I don't know how good a price this is, but I've been looking at ServerPath, http://coloserv.com. I have a friend that has colo with them, and he says it's a great service.

    I think $59 a month is a good price (for 1u).... how does that compare to competitors?

    Don't know. I just got 2 cabinets. I didn't get a quote from sfcolocation.com for 1U but I do know they also sell to 1U customers. I know because I saw a few of them in there. If you want to know what other facilities charge just ask them. Everyone was very responsive to my quote request, besides Navisite.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,780
    Mind to tell me how much those cabinets are?

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    214
    Originally posted by Mfjp
    Mind to tell me how much those cabinets are?
    Well, I don't see anything in the paperwork that says I can't tell others their prices, so...
    I am paying $700 for each cabinet. That includes a 20 amp circuit with a redundant on standby, a cross-connect that connects me to a multi-homed network of MFN, XO and MCI/UUnet, 64 IP addresses, 24x7 facility access and garage parking (I love that), oh, and remote hands and so on from the on-site 24x7 NOC staff.

    The kicker is that I got them down to $69 per meg!... I find that hard to believe even now seeing how they don't use carriers like Cogent or Williams who I don't trust anyway.

    The cabinet price was a little steeper than the rest but well worth it for this place and all the perks. I even brought in some of my clients to impress them with the place. A good business decision all in all.
    Besides, the bandwidth price more than makes up for what they charged on the cabinets. I'm sure you could get them down to $650 or so.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,780
    That's great to hear. Maybe they'll get big and become another Exchange Colo. Can you pass me a good rep at the place?

  35. #35
    Are you asking about coloserv.com?

    They are already big... but not in colo. Their colo is an extension of serverpath.com, a dedicated server company.

    Their great, talk to Nonsensicator on AIM. He's the friend that recommended them to me.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,780
    No, I've talked to colo serve before. I'm looking for a good rep at 365 Main St.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    214
    Originally posted by Mfjp
    That's great to hear. Maybe they'll get big and become another Exchange Colo. Can you pass me a good rep at the place?
    Umm, best guy is probably Justin Franks. He is the owner of SFcolocation.com
    The only number and contact info I have is 925-899-1917 and hostmaster@sfcolocation.com.

    From what I understand SFcolocation provides the network to just about everyone in the facility. Others who may also sell/resell colo in the facility use the SFcolocation networkanyway. So for me it just made sense to sign directly with them for everything and avoid all the confusion. Their service has been extremely outstanding and I have been very impressed. I highly recommend to at least compare them with others.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    1,679
    Originally posted by Papa Smurff
    Umm, best guy is probably Justin Franks. He is the owner of SFcolocation.com
    Justin isn't the owner... he's just a salesperson.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    214
    Originally posted by kd7lxl
    Are you asking about coloserv.com?

    They are already big... but not in colo. Their colo is an extension of serverpath.com, a dedicated server company.

    Their great, talk to Nonsensicator on AIM. He's the friend that recommended them to me.
    No offense, but I toured Servepath at 650 Townsend and their new ColoServe spot on Spear St. I was not impressed at all.
    In fact, I know a few people that moved out of Servepath/ColoServe due to network issues. Just does not sound like Servepath/ColoServe knows what they are doing as far as colo is concerned. Maybe they do ok with dedicated servers, but from what I've recently learned a real colocation provider is levels above Servepath/ColoServe.

    Real Bay Area colo providers in my opinion are: (in no particular order)
    Level3
    ATT
    Qwest
    Verio
    Abovenet
    SFcolocation/365 Main (the old Abovenet)
    C&W/Exodus
    ummm... ok eXchange too but barley because they had a big power outage a month ago... and security is not that tight.

    From my recent findings the above are the only facilities in the Bay Area that are true colocation Data Centers. I mean above normal in:
    1. power infrastructure
    2. cooling
    3. seismic protection
    4. security
    5. network
    6. customer service

    All the other facilities I investigated fell short in one or more of the areas above. Some of these, in my opinion, include:
    1. Navisite/ClearBlue (bad security and cooling)
    2. Upnetworks (bad everything, basically a SPAM house)
    3. Servepath (bad power, cooling, network)
    4. United Layer (Solid network but bad security, cooling, seismic, power)
    5. Hurricane Electric (bad seismic, security)
    6. Fastmetrics (almost bad everything and the owner lives in Alaska! so communication is SLOW)

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    214
    Originally posted by Simpli-Erica
    Justin isn't the owner... he's just a salesperson.
    I think you are wrong.
    His business card said CEO and he was introduced to me as the owner.
    You can always ask him to check. But I don't think he was lying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •