hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Colocation and Data Centers : Abovenet Data Center in San Francisco

Forum Jump

Abovenet Data Center in San Francisco

Reply Post New Thread In Colocation and Data Centers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Disabled

Abovenet Data Center in San Francisco

Anyone know anything about the re-opened Abovenet facility in San Francisco at 365 Main St? I would like to tour it but don't have any time. So wondering if anyone here knows what it is like. I am looking to colocate 2-3 racks in the San Francisco area. Below are the facilities I toured:
Level 3, too expensive!
United Layer, good prices but facility is, well.....
Navisite/ClearBlue, it's ok
ServePath, same as United Layer, first impression not good.
eXchange, ok, but ltheir power outage makes me nervous.

Anyone know of any other good colo's in SF?

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

We use AboveNet in San Jose and have had nothing but excellent service.

High quality bandwidth, no outtages, and good staff.

If physical location is really not that important, San Jose provides much easier in/out access than downtown SF.

We were in AboveNet in the original 18th floor building and it used to take 40 minutes just to park, clear security, get to the freight elevator, and then finally into the colo.

Old
Web Hosting Guru

I'd suggest you combine eXchange and *********** which means you get your colocation space at eXchange and the pipe from ***********. That way you have some of the best possible combination.

The main exchange (365 Main) is quite new but I've heard it's a nice data-center. I don't have any first-hand information on them though as I don't know anyone who's there.

BTW: 365Main is no longer an Above.Net data-center. It's been sold.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

eXchange have tons of provider. That is their attracting point. However, they're on the expensive side as well.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Second the Abovenet/San Jose choice. Everyone here already knows that we use them and love them.

P.S. We're in SJC3, not SJC2 (as Spiv is), but both datacenters are great.

PM me if you want an Abovenet sales contact. They've been very helpful to us.

Old
Junior Guru

How many SJC facilities does AboveNet have that whats the diff between sjc2 & 3

Old
Web Hosting Master

SJ3 is the super DC they got. It's brand new. SJ2 is across the street, i belive, but it's an older DC. erica, did i get it right?

Old
Disabled

But I am looking for a Data Center in SF....
Besides, I thought the Data Center Abovenet built in SF was the newest one and better built than the San Jose facilities. Am I wrong? Is there someone at Abovenet I can call to answer this question?

P.S. I use the new Google toolbar to block pop-ups. So private messages don't come through because they are pop-ups... I hate pop-ups...

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Papa Smurff
But I am looking for a Data Center in SF....
Besides, I thought the Data Center Abovenet built in SF was the newest one and better built than the San Jose facilities. Am I wrong? Is there someone at Abovenet I can call to answer this question?

P.S. I use the new Google toolbar to block pop-ups. So private messages don't come through because they are pop-ups... I hate pop-ups...
Well, the data-center you're looking at (at 365 Main st) is no longer owned by AboveNet so I don't think AboveNet will be able to answer your questions

I think they still have a smaller POP in SF so you might want to call them to find out about such a location.

Old
Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by Mfjp
eXchange have tons of provider. That is their attracting point. However, they're on the expensive side as well.

But what about that massive power outage they had a few weeks back? That makes me nervous. I also herd that many Data Centers in SF went down (network wise) because of the 200 Paul/eXchange power outage. I was told that most Internet feeds of most Data Centers in SF are provided via 200 Paul St (aka eXchange)

Can anyone confirm this?

Old
Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by Gernot
Well, the data-center you're looking at (at 365 Main st) is no longer owned by AboveNet so I don't think AboveNet will be able to answer your questions

I think they still have a smaller POP in SF so you might want to call them to find out about such a location.
Who did Abovenet sell it to? Do you know?
What do you mean by small POP?

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Well, eXchange is a nexus in SF so to speak, but I wouldn't say that most internet feeds go through eXchange.

That power outage was the only incident we've had since August 2001 and I'm pretty confident it was the only incident of that kind we'll experience in a long time.

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Who did Abovenet sell it to? Do you know?
What do you mean by small POP?
Well, AboveNet sold it to 365 Inc..
By small POP I mean some kind of data-room which might be located in a larger data-center. I don't think AboveNet has their own large building or data-center in SF anymore.

Old
Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by Gernot
Well, eXchange is a nexus in SF so to speak, but I wouldn't say that most internet feeds go through eXchange.

That power outage was the only incident we've had since August 2001 and I'm pretty confident it was the only incident of that kind we'll experience in a long time.
You say "we've had"... you mean you work for eXchange or are a customer?

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
You say "we've had"... you mean you work for eXchange or are a customer?
I don't work for them, I've been a customer of eXchange since August 2001 (the date I've mentioned in the previous post ).

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Admin Error Brings Down Joyent’s Ashburn Data Center Web Hosting News 2014-05-28 10:18:18
eMetrics Summit San Francisco 2014 Web Hosting Events 2014-02-07 14:54:11
365 Main Opens Data Center in Emeryville, California Web Hosting News 2013-07-12 11:56:47
InfoRelay Online Systems Opens Second New York City Data Center Web Hosting News 2013-05-13 12:27:29
Quasar to Undergo Major Expansion at Houston Data Center Web Hosting News 2013-02-11 14:55:20