Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AMD or PentiumIV?

Which one of these are better processors? A sales person explained the differenc to me awhile ago, but I can't seem to remember what he said about the amd I know the pentium is a cadillac of all processors, but if I'm not mistaken, I think he said that AMD's weren't too far behind the pentiums...am I getting this right Can somebody please explain the difference and the benefits of the 2...I would really appreciate it!

SQ4

AMD XP's were ahead of P4's up until the Xp 2400+ / P4 2.4 GHZ. At that point the processors are just about equal. After that model the P4's overtook the AMD's performance wise, resulting in the AMD's beeing slightly behind the P4's advertised as the same speed (e.a. P4 2.6 GHZ and XP2600+).

However, if you take price into consideration, the AMD's are half the price of the P4's and the difference in performance is only very small, I would still go for AMD if possible.

One thing P4's do have going for them in a hosting environment is the fact they have built in overheating protection, meaning they'll just start running slower if they get too hot. AMD does not have this feature. Luckily many AMD motherboard manufacturers have now started adding this feature into the motherboards, so this disadvantage is erradicated.

Hope this helps.
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!

That helped alot...thanks Tazzman

Originally posted by Tazzman
    AMD does not have this feature.
    Yes, they do. It's called CPU throttling and it is available to AMD processors aswell.
    Can you be scared half to death twice?

The age 'ol question... Intel or AMD.

I recently purchased (in fact I havn't receive it yet) an Athlon 2200+. I'll post some reviews after I get a chance to use it.
    Hendrick Networks - Technical, Security and Connectivity Solutions Built on T.R.U.S.T

The latest 2.2Ghz Athlon will still outperform a P4 3Ghz (with or without hyperthreading)... or so a diagram provided by AMD in a magazine I have here shows...
    Steve

And AMD would never be biased towards AMD chips!

Originally posted by Vortex-Steve
    The latest 2.2Ghz Athlon will still outperform a P4 3Ghz (with or without hyperthreading)... or so a diagram provided by AMD in a magazine I have here shows...
    BTW Hes talking about the $600 Athlon64 FX51 not an AthlonXP. And comparing a 3Ghz Intel P4C with it aint really fair as the P4 Extreme is out now and Intels CPU that will be designed to take on the Athlon64, the Prescott, is not released yet.

An AthlonXP 2.2Ghz would not beat an Intel P4 3.0Ghz.
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

As the thread starter said about a salesman explaining the difference between processors I thought he would be talking about desktop based machines...

And from the test results I have here an Athlon XP 3200 (2.2Ghz) gives better performance than a P4 3.0Ghz.
    Steve

For a server i personally would go for the Pentium 4 over an Athlon XP. They are both good in their own rights but the P4's especially the models with hyperthreading technology win in out right processor power.
    Web: www.explosivefx.com | Mail: me[at]nemelization.com | AIM: Nemeliza | MSN: me[at]nemelization.com

Originally posted by Vortex-Steve
    And from the test results I have here an Athlon XP 3200 (2.2Ghz) gives better performance than a P4 3.0Ghz.
    Nope it barely keeps up with the Pentium 4 2.8Ghz in "most" tests according to "most" benchmarks etc...
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

It all comes down to preference and what you're willing to pay. I swore by Intel when I was in my "younger" years, but will now only buy amd personally. I think the bang for the buck is much larger with AMD.

I do think Pentiums are great in servers though.

Jason
    http://www.charlottezweb.com
    HOSTING your livelihood

Hmm... I've been thinking about this same issue for my next computer build.

Thanks for the post Tazz, I've decided I'm going to use AMD since the price is lower for AMD compared to an "equal" P4.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

FYI, Intel is doing a huge price drop (up to 30% and more) on October 26 (as reported by The Register.) Expect AMD to follow suit.

If you can wait 3 weeks to buy, you should.

From the article:
    On [October 26], the 3.2GHz P4, which operates with a 200MHz frontside bus quad-pumped for an effective bus speed of 800MHz, will fall to $417, a reduction of 34.5 per cent. Other 800MHz FSB P4 prices will fall too, with the price of the 3GHz chip being reduced from $417 to $278 (a fall of 33.4 per cent), the 2.8GHz version falling from $278 to $218 (down 21.6 per cent) and the 2.6GHz part coming down to $178 from $218 (down 18.3 per cent). The 2.4GHz chip will stay where it is, at $178.

The 533MHz FSB 3.06GHz P4 will fall from $401 to $262, a dip of 34.7 per cent. The 2.8GHz version will fall to $193 from $262 (down 26.3 per cent) and the 2.66GHz release will be priced at $163, down 15.5 per cent from $193. The 2.53GHz P4 will also fall from $193 to $163. Prices are per chip based on orders of 1000 units.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    »»» I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

Nice info Erica. Looks like I'll be replacing my XP1800+ soon afterall
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!

Oh, and don't forget the new 64 bit AMD's... wouldn't mind one of those

Jason
    http://www.charlottezweb.com
    HOSTING your livelihood

Originally posted by Simpli-Erica
    FYI, Intel is doing a huge price drop (up to 30% and more) on October 26 (as reported by The Register.) Expect AMD to follow suit.

If you can wait 3 weeks to buy, you should.

From the article:
    Thanks for the update

Well, lets take a look here. From what I understand, SQ4 is not looking for CPU to use on a server, but rather a home computer. In this case, I would choose AMD over Intel anytime. The fact that it's cheaper, and it's performance. (I have an AMD XP 1700+ and it's excellent with any application, games, graphic programs, ect. that I have )

And uh... good night!
    AIM: AtonexCOM

The Intel chipsets are much more stable, it's not just a CPU issue.

Opteron all the way.

Go AMD! Much better value.

As for stability, my Dad's Duron rig, is just as stable as my P4. And, all the parts in his machine are bottom barrel stuff.

Mine is all quality... Intel Mobo, AVC CPU cooler, Micron and Samsung RAM, etc.

Originally posted by Tazzman
    Nice info Erica. Looks like I'll be replacing my XP1800+ soon afterall
    Yeah, I want to upgrade soon as well. I currently have a dual 1GHz box, except the processors aren't matched, so I get a lovely blue screen of death about once a week. I am not happy (although I've lived with it for 2 years or so.)

I'm waiting for the P4/3.0/800MHz plus a motherboard and RAM to come down in price. Currently, it's about $740 for the processor, a nice motherboard, and 512MB Corsair DDR400 RAM, so I'm waiting to upgrade. In fact, I've been waiting since August. Someday, when it gets to be around $500, I'll upgrade.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    »»» I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

Originally posted by Zerano
    Opteron all the way.
    Just got myself an Opteron 240 a few days ago. And all I can say is...IT'S SWEEEET!

Although it's meant for use as a server processor, i'm using it in a desktop role, just for fun.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Originally posted by net-trend
    Just got myself an Opteron 240 a few days ago. And all I can say is...IT'S SWEEEET!

Although it's meant for use as a server processor, i'm using it in a desktop role, just for fun.
    Does solitare run well on it?

i say AMD, only cause i've had a very good experince with performance but then again i havent used the newer ones, i've got the 1.2mhz athlon thunderbird runs extremly hot which is not good so i bolted on a heavy duty fan and its been running fine, i needed more space so i bought a IBM deskstar 120GXP.

i think amd are gonna up in favor cause they are a lot cheaper for one!!
    Ash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast