hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Ahhhhh

Forum Jump

Ahhhhh

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2003, 12:40 AM

Ahhhhh

All I want to do is pay a resonable price to register a name and find web host to post my art work onto a site...there seems to be millions of companies and many different name register sites....the hugeness of it all can be sumed up with this site's exsistance.....

Some body on a popular television show mentioned Domainmonger....they check out...they seem cheap ....and the seem to have a good deal for web space....but how do I know....does location of a website provider factor into anything...if they are to far away?....I just don't know...please someone help...

Jack

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2003, 12:45 AM

and...AHHHH

what are e-mail pop ups and do I want 300.....I want space to upload the website my friend helped me design in Dreamweaver...

Old 09-24-2003, 12:47 AM
Disabled

what is your price range? That will help me and other WHT member help you find a decent host and to register a domain.

also pop emails are for example if your domain was

Blah.com

you could have

me {@} blah.com
you {@} blah.com

and so on. You have you have fans of art, family or so on pop emails are good thing!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2003, 12:51 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
All I want to do is pay a resonable price to register a name
What's reasonable to you?

NameCheap, GoDaddy, Registerfly are all under $10/year for a com/net/org domain name (do a search for reviews).

Quote:
does location of a website provider factor into anything
Physical distance between you and the provider may not have much of an effect, but "network distance" (ie, the lenth the data has to travel over a network, and network speed may have a great effect.

Old 09-24-2003, 12:54 AM

I must be a dunce

I still don't see the importance of pop e-mails.....

I was thinking about 10 bucks a month seems reasonble...maybe I am wrong.... I have a lot of images..that are in a collom so the person would have to scroll down to see all the images in a section....and right now the portfolio is a total of 30 megs...but that is because every image is at 300 res....when I set it up for a site I would make everyone 72

Old 09-24-2003, 12:59 AM
Disabled

10 dollars for domain and 10 dollar for hosting?

affordablehosting is a good host

godaddy is a good domain register

I personally went with tosdomains for my domain they are also under 10 dollars.

also about pop emails you might or might not use the pop emails. Pop emails are good for if you have more then 1 email.

Good example: support @ blah.com, sales @ blah.com, webdesigner @ blah.com, and so on. They can be very handy if you want more then 1 email. You do not have to use the pop emails.

Old 09-24-2003, 01:01 AM

how can I tell or find out how far away a company's network distance is from my area...???

I am also looking for web hosting.....

I checked out surpass hosting they seem incredible for 10 bucks a month you get 2000 gigs of space!! I just don't know...

is it important to register a name with the company you buy space from or is it better to do it seperate?....or should one be done before the other?

Old 09-24-2003, 01:04 AM

I think about 15 dollars or less for a name per year is a good price...

how do I find good webhosts that are close to me in network length?

Old 09-24-2003, 01:05 AM
Web Hosting Master

$10 is a good budget. Look for a host offering between 1 - 5 GB of bandwidth and you should be alright (as long as you do your homework...check support times etc.)

you can use visualware's visual traceroute to find the location of an ip address.

Old 09-24-2003, 01:05 AM
Disabled

okay first usally you do not want to register a domain with the same company you host (so if you move you wont have problems)

second some hosts that offer more then seems a good deal.. usally is a scam not saying always but can be a scam or not as a good deal as you think.

third I am not sure on distantce so you have to wait for someone to answer that.

affordablehost is a good host that has been in business for years and trustfull. (I personally would recommend them)

lets see there is crediable host (bonnie is a great owner)

Best way to find a good host is ask in this forum about a host then wait for a response to see if it is a good host or not...

Old 09-24-2003, 01:06 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
how do I find good webhosts that are close to me in network length?
Do a trace route - the less # of hops you have, and the lower the ping times the better (generrally speaking)

Old 09-24-2003, 01:12 AM
Web Hosting Master

Pop Emails are just email accounts which you can set up on the web. Be it one email or 300, it depends on your requirements. Actually 300 is excessively.

A typical site would probably have not more than 5. You could set up an email for yourself, your girlfriend/wife, children and pet dog or you can do it for the various departments. It's up to you to define.

Having Pop email accounts means that all emails would be tagged with @yourwebsite.com such as jack@yourwebsite.com instead of jack@aol.com . Sounds more professional.

It is usually better to register your domain name on your own. This way you will ensure that you gain full ownership of the domain name and if you need to move for any reasons, you can bring it with you. Do not sign up with any one which offers free domain name without first checking their terms and conditions. There are several postings of such when the web host would tie you down to just hosting with them and no one else because the domain name gets registered in their name. A sick tactic but it is being done.

Old 09-24-2003, 01:21 AM

ok you people have been more than helpfull ......do any of you suggest a good place to buy a domain name?

and does anybody on this site know any providers that are near the washington dc metro area?

sorry for all the questions....I am so nubie

Old 09-24-2003, 01:49 AM
Web Hosting Master

Don't worry about how far away from you a host is - afterall you hopefully won't be the only person surfing your website - a host close to you may be on the opposite side of the world from your next site visitor.

As mentioned above - godaddy is cheap & easy to use, so are many other also. Register your domain anywhere under $10 a year.

By email pop ups - I assume you mean pop3 accounts? - How many emails do you need? probably not 300 - maybe 4 or 5? most hosts will give you a bunch anyway (1 email account = you@yoursite.com, a 2nd email would be yourwife@yoursite.com etc)

You mention artwork - check out how big your site files are on your PC - then double it - that's how much diskspace you need.

Bandwidth - if you don't expect a lot of visitors - just a simple site, probably 1 or 2 GB/month is going to be fine for you.

There is a forum in WHT - hosting requests - post your needs down there and you will have a lot of hosts offering you deals.

Old 09-24-2003, 02:04 AM

thanks again ....I am going to refer to these postings to help me search this site and the to find adequit providers....one more question...once I purchase a domain name from another site...how do I transfer it to my new web host...ist it easy...

thats all (for nowthank you

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted