hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : How To Find True URL....

Forum Jump

How To Find True URL....

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2003, 03:57 PM
Web Hosting Guru

How To Find True URL....

I have a website I want to move to a new host. The new host will make the move for me. However, they need the actual address (with the IP) of where the account is located. Doesn't sound too hard, except I've discovered an odd glitch.

In cPanel it tell me that my URL is http://IP.HERE/~username/ but when I click on it I get a "404 not found" error. I double checked the IP address in WHM, it says the same thing cPanel tells me. I know the username is correct. The site is up and using the direct domain takes you directly to the site. It's there, but it's not where cPanel tells me it is.

I've emailed support and have yet to get a reply. It's been about 14 hours, and they usually respond quickly, so I don't have a lot of hope for help from them right now.

Can anyone tell me if there is any way to figure out where this account "physically" resides? Maybe a website with tools that can look things up? I went to samspade.org but it couldn't give me what I was looking for.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2003, 03:59 PM
Retired Moderator

There is a good chance that the host has blocked this ability.

However, with WHM you should only need the ip address, username and password in order to do the transfer.

Old 09-23-2003, 04:06 PM
Junior Guru

Web hosting is simple math: Fast+Reliable+Service=Happy Customer

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2003, 04:07 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyTech
There is a good chance that the host has blocked this ability.

However, with WHM you should only need the ip address, username and password in order to do the transfer.
Thanks for such a speedy reply.

Problem is, the new host has already tried and can't do it. It's obviously not where cPanel tells me it is. I think it's (somehow) on a different IP address than what is listed. I don't know how that's possible, but I gave them the username and pass, and the IP I had been given, and it didn't work. They asked me to contact my current host for the correct information. And they haven't responded.

This site is a forum, and the structure of the forum could be easily recreated on a new server. It's the database I really need and the only place that resides is on their server.

I'm afraid this host, someone I initially praised here, could become my first webhosting nightmare. I have successfully moved everything else off their servers, and I think they might be aware of that. I can't say that I know for sure, but it might be why they've yet to respond to my request.

Old 09-23-2003, 04:09 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by LightningWeb
www.whois.sc
This site gives me the same IP address as my cPanel. And it's not there. Honest.

I'm really on this one.

Old 09-23-2003, 04:12 PM
Retired Moderator

Well unfortunately when hosts know you are leaving, there is quite often a drop off with many companies. I suppose that you are at the mercy right now. However, I find it strange that the transfer is not working, because I have never had a problem with it so long as the information is correct.

Old 09-23-2003, 04:15 PM
Disabled

PM the domain to me and I will give you the info you need.

Old 09-23-2003, 04:17 PM
Disabled

Quote:
However, I find it strange that the transfer is not working, because I have never had a problem with it so long as the information is correct.
Actually, it fails much of the time. Anything from the type of kernel to checksum errors due to real time changes in file size can be a problem.

Old 09-23-2003, 04:23 PM
Web Hosting Guru

PM sent.

Old 09-23-2003, 04:27 PM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Actually, it fails much of the time. Anything from the type of kernel to checksum errors due to real time changes in file size can be a problem.
Guess I haven't been lucky enough to experience those problems as of yet

Anyways, glad to see things resolved for you AMD. Goodluck with your new host.

Old 09-24-2003, 04:21 AM
Retired Moderator

Well in the worst case scenario, just do a full backup in cpanel and put it on your site and get your new host to transfer it over and unpack it manually. It's good to have some automated features, but when that's all a host knows, it's going to be tough in the long run.

If you have shell capability, you can also do a mysql dump for your domain. Are you given the ability to login on shell?

Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Old 09-25-2003, 12:21 AM
learning is in the doing

Quote:
Originally posted by AMD72
This site gives me the same IP address as my cPanel. And it's not there. Honest.

I'm really on this one.
Just wondering how things turned out with this?

The IP address that was being used, was most likey not being used correctly. Your new Hoster should have been aware of that, but maybe they are still getting used the Transfer feature of WHM. Not much info on it and can still leave things behind.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Top 5 Considerations for Transitioning to Open Compute Webinars 2014-06-29 21:45:11
Shoot For Savings! Find Out How HP.com Handles 300M Hits Per Day With HP Moonshot Webinars 2014-06-13 10:12:06
GoDaddy Unveils Preview of Super Bowl Sunday Ad Web Hosting News 2014-01-23 09:45:08
Unlocking the Secret to QoS in the Cloud: The 6 Requirements of Your Storage Architecture Webinars 2014-06-10 11:06:53
10-14-2012 Roswell, NM - The Hosting Shift Blog 2012-10-24 15:14:40