About Host Site Designs

Greetings

This has been bugging me ..it is small and silly but..well..you know how it can get!

Why do almost all hosts and resellers choose THOSE host site designs ...
    MAN I am so bored of them..pictures of computers! and the flash top..over and over and over again!

I remember some years ago when DreamHost came out with a site with all those clouds heh! What a relief!

So much more comfortable for non geeks.

And with all these resellers with sites that have no sense of ..urmm..their uniqueness..no character at all..

I keep thinking at some point a new trend will start ...with hosts working to actually be original and reflect that in their design.

Just a rant
    Dr Renee Levant Oracleweb & Learn Community!
    http://www.oraclewebhost.org

Well its not too bad when you see like 10 hosts with the same template_monster design :/

My site is still very much under construction.

I decided though to set it up with question

"Hey so where are the pictures of Computers and such"

And provide a link to a monster template version of my site for those who really feel that style indicates professionalism

Yes I REALLY mean it and will do it.

Laughs

Why does a shoe catalog of pictures of shoes? Why does Direct TV have pictures of sattellites? Why do hosts, have pictures of servers?
    AIM: AtonexCOM

Urrmmm to that last one perhaps..

because they are geeks and see themselves in terms of maintaining a bunch of machines...rather than customer service and interaction...or helping customers be successful in their project or business or using the technology.

Web hosts don't sell machines like shoe salesman sell shoes. Hopefully they sell a service which involves people and their varied projects.

Best

Well, they are selling space that are part of thier servers.
    AIM: AtonexCOM

Totally agree with Axi

Money.

its the answer to a lot of things.
    they need to look like pros, you don't see an IBM site with birds do you?

its all about marketing, and I can't blame them for wanting to make money.

But I understand your point.

Hi websterworld

I agree..
    Money is the answer...At least in what people * think* makes more money

Yet, I wonder if the perception that the monster templates with computer pictures and flash top is what makes a site look more professional or have greater appeal is accurate.

Certainly if one is hosting programmers or tech types..that would be true.

Yet the folks who are not techies...I am not convinced this is a great draw.

I think of it as the difference in appeal between compuserve and aol.

While the interested crowds have soon overlap...many of those attracted to one would not be attracted to the other.

And the biggest complaint I hear from people about bad experiences with hosts ..is not (with a few notable exceptions) that the hosts didn't know how to do thetechnical stuff...but that they didn;t know how to deal with people..or address things to non-technical audiences.

It seems to me most hosts are trying to be everything to everyone..and going the technical design image route...
    Yet I have to wonder whether mre specialization migt be fiscally beneicial and provide better service to many people

Best
    Last edited by oracleweb; 09-20-2003 at 02:50 PM.

hi, oracleweb

Yet, I wonder if teh perception that the monster templates with computer pictures and flash top is what makes a site look more professional or have greater appeal is accurate.

Certainly if one is hosting programmers or tech types..that would be true.

Yet the folks who are not techies...I am not convinced this is a great draw.
    I don't agree.

The computer pictures, and happy people, are made and shown for, and only for the "not techies".

Its meant to overwhelm them.
    "not techies" see site with computer picture, and happy god.
    "not techies" go: "oooohh, aaahh" bow down before the almighty host!

A "techie" person unlike "not techies" doesn't give a tidy rabbits ass if a host has a template with flash or a server pic.

A "techie" will look at the plan value, the forum, the TOS, ask Q's, compare, test, probe and go with another host.

I think it's just a lack of creativity.

Complete loss of creativity and originality

I think everyone has just lost their creativity.

I think almost every host looks like a clone. In terms of their services, their branding strategy, and their customer service.

If a host is smart and really wants to make money they will come up with a unique branding and marketing strategy so that they stand out.

Oh and one more thing... You cannot relate IBM this argument. IBM has an excellent web presense its clean, professional, and most importantly effectively conveys their content. In contast, most "amatuer" webhosts, in my opinion dont posses any of those qualities.

They are all the same as said above just like they are "clones" of each other.
    They all have the same prices, designs, options everything is the same, and there is too many of them. Soon there won't be any money making involved as there are far too many and it will be hard to start off.

They all use the same template and just change it a bit! There should be something against making the internet this boring. Guess most domains and you will end up at a web hosting and/or design company.
    How boring??
    Alex Croft
    www.global****.co.uk - Coming soon.

Well, as a former marketing major, I can tell you that it is important to convey what you do to ALL masses. Otherwise you lose your message.

I believe that you can include images of servers on your site, without being cliche.

We decided not to use computer images in our site, AS OF YET. However, we do plan to include them at some point, throughout the evolution of our current design.

I too however, got pretty tired of the old traditional hosting design. While some would say that our current design looks like a template_monster template in style, the majority vote says it's totally unique.

While I don't think design is the most important aspect of a hosting business, I do feel, as a designer, that it would be nice to see hosts get creative, create a theme for your site, and design around it.
    Mark - Owner/Lead Designer
    avidInteractive
    Lead vocalist for Circle7: Circle7 on MTV

ekosektorpje you didn't get my point.
    I like IBM and its sites, I never said they did anything wrong or boring. I just slipped in the fact that you don't see a high-technology pro company like IBM with birds and clouds on their site.

That is very understandable.
    They point is that most hosts are small, and want to seem bigger and more pro like by using this templates. they try to overwhelm plain people. and that's a bit not right.

I hear you websterworld

And I suspect that trying to look bigger is exactly the wrong strategy

This is a general consulting issue...it is not just about web hosts or technical sites.

For example take small bookstores. I had a potential client that wanted to go on the web. A small bookstore with an awesome selection of theology and religion and pschhology books and a terrific staff that knew everything about these

Barnes and Noble came into town and they were dying..to compete they decided to go on the web. I offered my services free.

They had already had their webmaster begin the process however. The webmaster , followingthe advice of all the major associations of small book keepers took one of the many "turn key" programs for small book sellers that woudl give them access to close to Amazon's range of books...and a fully developed site featuring marketable top sellers. The could customize it in some ways.

When I suggested alternatively that their online goals should be the same as their original business plan for brick and mortar/..namely to become THE PLACE for community for those who loved reading psychology, spirituality and religion books...and really feature their staff..and not worry about competing in price with amazon..they thought I was nuts!

The turnkey let them look like the big guys! They needed to make money and feared while they personally woukd enjoy my plan more...this was not practical.

They are closed now. I don't know whether they would be openor not had they gone the way I suggested. What I do know is tat would have been their best chance and the few places that have tried this approach are still making it...not BIG like amazon..but comfortable.

There ARE different sorts of people interested in web space and different reasons ...Catering to speciality needs in ways the "big guys" cannot/donot .is the best bet for litle guys...
    Who can so some things BECAUSE they are little.

Right now I resell for several places. My favorite is VShosting.net...VERY SMALL

specialized in catering to resellers..and they do !!!

Being a reseller for some large companies...I never got as much support or other benefits.

They specialize in resellers and assisting resellers gwetting started. (IMNSHO the ONLY thing they could do better is be louder about that fact up front...really explicite that they are building a commuity of resellers who help and support one another in business and Marc It it (oh I meant Market it (Love you Marc)

Best