hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Design and Content : Now that NetScape is No More....

Forum Jump

Now that NetScape is No More....

Reply Post New Thread In Web Design and Content Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2003, 10:24 AM

Now that NetScape is No More....

.net mag in the UK reported that:

"Parent company [of Netscape] AOL made most of its browser division redundant in July"

"in may of this year AOL signed a deal with microsoft that meant its users would stick with Internet Explorer for the next seven years.......Netscape - sadly - is no more"

Does this mean that we no longer have to design sites wondering all the time just how differently they will look in NetScape?

I've never been one to write sites with Netscape in mind (i know its wrong!), but this mean that most of u other designers will slowly stop to think about it too?

Helm Control Panel

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2003, 10:47 AM
WHT Addict

designing sites should always be done according the w3c standards imo.

there are more browsers besides IE and Netscape and Mozilla is one of them to take in consideration.

Old 09-17-2003, 11:26 AM

Netscape uses the Mozilla engine so even if netscape is not more Mozilla most certainly is. Although Erik is right you should design sites just for microsoft.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2003, 11:49 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by JJSolutions
Although Erik is right you should design sites just for microsoft.
I don't think you meant to say that did you.

Don't just design for IE design for W3C then it will work whatever the current favourite browser happens to be (well in theory anyway )

Old 09-17-2003, 12:23 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Not really, for example, http://www.mudsplatstudios.com/clients/draegonis is valid xhtml 1.1 & xhtml 2.0, however, it shows a 1px border inconsistency in FireBird and Opera, showing finely in Internet Explorer and Mozilla.

Old 09-17-2003, 12:26 PM

yeah bit of a typo

IE is good at handling bad code, id recommend using netscape 4 when writing code - if it looks right in ns 4 it should look ok in most browsers.

The new version of Dreamweaver highlight invalid code for a specific browser.

Its good being W3C compliant but if 99.?% of your visitors are using IE could you really be bothered getting it right for everyone?

As long as the design doesnt look completly off in other browsers you you should probably be happy enough

Old 09-17-2003, 12:26 PM
Web Hosting Master

Many times if you design for Netscape, it will work in IE also, but not visa versa so I've found it easier to just design sites for Netscape. Some authoring programs like FrontPage allow you to select your compatibility level to design with also.

Old 09-17-2003, 03:42 PM
Web Hosting Master

XHTML 2.0 is a working draft. The DTD hasn't even been finished yet so I don't know how you can design a site in it yet

Quote:
This document is the fifth public Working Draft of this specification. It should in no way be considered stable, and should not be normatively referenced for any purposes whatsoever. This version includes an early implementation of XHTML 2.0 in RELAX NG [RELAXNG], but does not include the implementations in DTD or XML Schema form. Those will be included in subsequent versions, once the content of this language stabilizes.

Old 09-17-2003, 04:39 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Quote:
Originally posted by Ionsurge
Not really, for example, http://www.mudsplatstudios.com/clients/draegonis is valid xhtml 1.1 & xhtml 2.0, however, it shows a 1px border inconsistency in FireBird and Opera, showing finely in Internet Explorer and Mozilla.
Looks fine in firebird (looks the same as it does in internet explorer anyway). Firebird is the browser component of Mozilla, so for all intents and purposes they are the same browser

If people write good code, you can _easily_ get your site to look identical in all new browsers. Make sure you declare a proper doctype and write good markup according to the w3c standards.

Old 09-17-2003, 10:18 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Back to he main subject thread for a second, even if AOL stops supporting Netscape officially, it probably would not kill the momentum behind designing and releasing the program.

Their is still and I imagine will continue to be a lot of volunteers who donate enhancements and other bits and pieces to the browser.

Old 09-17-2003, 11:44 PM
Web Hosting Master

AOL dropped the ball with Netscape. They had the opportunity to make something big of it. But instead of using it for their browser, they stuck with IE for the browser packaged with AOL.

Old 09-18-2003, 05:03 AM
Web Hosting Master

The problem with Netscape and where it dropped the ball wasn't with AOL not putting it in their system it was simply the huge gap of time between netscape 4 and netscape 6.

I know the code was being re-written from the ground up but unfortunately that time let Internet Explorer completely take over. When netscape 4 came out they had a healthy majority of all browsers. When netscape 6 came out they had a tiny percentage of all browsers and still do.

Old 09-18-2003, 06:10 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich2k
XHTML 2.0 is a working draft. The DTD hasn't even been finished yet so I don't know how you can design a site in it yet
I am aware of that, but with the standards set in XHTML 2.0 so far the site will validate under those conditions.

Old 09-18-2003, 08:12 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
it was simply the huge gap of time between netscape 4 and netscape 6.
This skip in versions seemed more like a marketing ploy to me considering IE had a v5 in that timeframe and was just coming out with their v6. Netscape 6 was a lot buggier than 4 so I reverted back, but 7 seems like a different critter. It seems to be more compatible with newer standards than the previous versions.

Old 09-18-2003, 08:22 AM
Web Hosting Master

Actually there was a netscape 5 which was based on netscape 4 code but then they ditched it and went to 6 with a re-write.

The point still stands as the huge gap between versions (I didn't mean a gap in version numbers as I couldn't care less what they called it).

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Cloud Infrastructure Provider GoGrid Appoints Three Executives to Management Team Web Hosting News 2012-12-04 10:39:35