Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by Steve-VST
    Welcome to WHT, fellas. I look forward to seeing... no changes
    I'm sure there will be changes. I see something happening with the advertising forums. I mean, there's all that business being conducted down there, and the owner of WHT isn't seeing a brass cracker from it.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

another thought crossed my mind, and I apologize if it has been mentioned here in this thread already.....but why not have prohacker or someone else REMOVE post counts? would rid this good forum of all the "self pats on the backs" and the seniority complexed people I see here.

We tried the post count thing before = in the end it doesn't really matter.

I think since we put them back the quality of posts has gotten better a bit. (but that's a whole other post count thread )

ah that does make sense I suppose, gives those who think that the personal post count matter, something to strive towards

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    ......... IMO, something drastic needs to be done to get rid of the kiddy hosts with their $2/yr plans. I say that you should charge hosts a fee to post down there. It would hopefully filter out the kiddies and open up another stream of revenue for you.
    I'll agree there. If it was more "legitimate" as far as competition is concerned, I would even consider trying to snag some extra business down there. Make the offer posting fee higher than most kids weekly allowance and that would do some weeding of the real and the wannabe.

I don't even bother considering posting in the ad forums now, I don't have mommy and daddy paying my bills so my prices are higher

Welcome to WHT guys!
    This colorfull sig brought to you by:
    Toby [of] e-creations® www.e-creations.com
    <<. .>>
    I can design a sig just like this for YOU ........ CHEAP!

I vote Dallas.. cause my wife will surely let me go if I dont have to stay over night anywhere. :-)

Originally posted by relledge
    That seems to be the question of the day. Maybe we need to plan a WHT party somewhere!

Amen to that!

You might want to look very hard at the Advertising Forums, and ask whether you want to continue providing free promotion to every man and his dog. IMO, something drastic needs to be done to get rid of the kiddy hosts with their $2/yr plans. I say that you should charge hosts a fee to post down there. It would hopefully filter out the kiddies and open up another stream of revenue for you.

What more is there to say? Amen Aussie Bob.. keep on preaching.

Great - WHT is now owned by the former owners of Communitech whose business practices in the past would shame even the worst webhosts discussed on these forums.

It may have been in the past but the way Communitech treated it's customers was unforgiveable.

I say that you should charge hosts a fee to post down there
    This would win my vote.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Originally posted by DaveC#
    Great - WHT is now owned by the former owners of Communitech whose business practices in the past would shame even the worst webhosts discussed on these forums.

It may have been in the past but the way Communitech treated it's customers was unforgiveable.
    Hi Dave:

You are correct in that some of those involved with iNET were involved/had ownership in CommuniTech.Net. Personally, I am proud to have been co-founder of CommuniTech.Net.

If it is any comfort, the moderators are all continuing and iNET will play a fairly limited role. No changes are planned, as this has been echoed throughout this thread.

If you would like to PM me regarding your issues regarding CommuniTech.Net, I would curious to hear your issues and provide any feedback I can. I realize it is in the past, but I would welcome the opportunity to address your grievance.

Thanks!
    -------------------------------------------------
    WHT owner once upon a time....
    http://www.gabrielmurphy.com

If you would like to PM me regarding your issues regarding CommuniTech.Net, I would curious to hear your issues and provide any feedback I can. I realize it is in the past, but I would welcome the opportunity to address your grievance.
    Gabriel - I talked to you many times on the phone after you had disabled my accounts on your servers.

The bottom line is you used to massively oversell your virtual host accounts, then close down accounts generating too much traffic and then try to sell the same customers your overpriced dedicated server offerings. If a customer refused to buy dedicated then their account was suspended permently (allow payment still taken).

Hi Dave:

Obviously CT was not a good fit for your hosting needs, and I hope you have since found a good fit, as I wish you well as a fellow WHT member.

I would like to hear any suggestions you have for improving WHT.
    -------------------------------------------------
    WHT owner once upon a time....
    http://www.gabrielmurphy.com

I know this is going to cause a stir but heck it wouldn't be WHT without a stir ...I am just starting in the hosting biz (on my own ) I have invested alot of money in that , by charging people to place Ad's you wont weed out the kiddie hosts they have money to ..if you set the price too high in the hopes of weeding out kiddie hosts all your going to do is make it so start up hosts cant afford to place Ads here ...its a bit of a double edged sword , as Im thinking about it I can see it becoming "Dad Will you place an ad for me" I totally agree something needs to be done ..what still remains to be seen
    Dana aka Laci My Alter Ego
    Former WHT Moderator

Re: Amen to that!

Originally posted by RasnCain
    What more is there to say? Amen Aussie Bob.. keep on preaching.
    I second that.
    Hey I wonder what it would be like if we all decided to join forces and lobby the new owners regarding this topic?
    http://www.voilaweb.com - the Social Internet Toolbox.

My problem is this:

What if a "$2" host can actually do it? Who are we to say "You're too cheap - conduct your business somewhere else?"

Unlike unlimited bandwidth (which we can prove is non-existant), how can you know for sure a host can't provide what it offers?

Or maybe the industry iteself needs to work out a way to "license" hosts?

Or maybe the problem is hosts that offer the extremely cheap reseller accounts?

16. Originally posted by DaveC#
    Gabriel - I talked to you many times on the phone after you had disabled my accounts on your servers.

The bottom line is you used to massively oversell your virtual host accounts, then close down accounts generating too much traffic and then try to sell the same customers your overpriced dedicated server offerings. If a customer refused to buy dedicated then their account was suspended permently (allow payment still taken).
    Oh, please. This isn't the place to gripe about CommuniTech. I was a CommuniTech reseller for years and although the Interland sale totally killed CT, Gabriel and some others suffered a big blow as well.

Let's focus on the present.

s

Originally posted by akash
    . . . Or maybe the industry iteself needs to work out a way to "license" hosts? . . .
    Or maybe some kind of a "WHT Approved" status, rather than an industry wide "license"?

It's probably best discussed in another thread, but WHT could implement some kind of application process, whereby a host that wants to advertise in the Ad_forums, needs to meet certian criteria. They could also place a fee on this application.

Yes, I know this is a complex issue, and not without the negatives, but IMO, it's worth looking into. I'm sure the new WHT owners have some ideas of their own for that part of the forum.

What about ... in order to get posting rights in the advertising forums, you need to have a registered business + tax ID (for us hosts, and whatever it is in the other countries? It could work... I guess ?

@inogenius
    That is a very good idea, many fly by night hosts arent bothered about paying to register a company or having to pay the tax man at the end of the year (since they wont be around)

But how would you determine the difference between a hoster and a hostee in the adverts forum?

How would you allow "anyone" to post a request but only "approved hosts" to reply, sounds like a bit of a mission to me.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Or maybe some kind of a "WHT Approved" status, rather than an industry wide "license"?

It's probably best discussed in another thread, but WHT could implement some kind of application process, whereby a host that wants to advertise in the Ad_forums, needs to meet certian criteria. They could also place a fee on this application.
    . . . .
    Don't know how that could work.

Well, except like you said; for a fee . . . .

For a fee, you can be an "Approved Host"

Seems a little too much to me. But, hey; maybe we could get that raise.

And then there's the "setting criteria" thing. I'm not about to suggest that you 'need' to charge x amount of monies to succeed in this industry.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    . . . For a fee, you can be an "Approved Host"

Yeah, an application fee. Another stream of revenue for the new owners of WHT.
    Seems a little too much to me. But, hey; maybe we could get that raise.

Or all revenue raised could be used to pay the Mods.

Sorry. I don't really see it as the answer.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by DaveC#

Welp here is someone talking sense. I expect more of the same business practices from Gabz and his crew that permeated Communitech.

Originally posted by MikeBarolo
    Welp here is someone talking sense. I expect more of the same business practices from Gabz and his crew that permeated Communitech.
    Why do you hate Gabe so much? I know him well, and he is a good guy
    with solid ethics.

Dan
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast