Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    [offtopic]I'm sure you remember the days of the first V of IMDB, the black and white basic times new roman interface, very useful database of movies, just simple raw functioning site.

Hotscripts is starting to lean away from the idea of the simple raw functioning site with the new layout (Not that it has totally lost its focus) but as time goes on the gems out there seem to be losing their luster, .... by adding luster.[/offtopic]

You have to dig deep, be observant, and have a bit of wisdom relevant to the development side of the web to have caught the Yaxay comment.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Originally posted by The Prohacker
    So when do I start scripting for yaXay?

Also small request for Hotscripts.. Can it maybe be possible for people to upload their script to the site so there will no longer be all those 404's
    Regarding the 404s, we check all links automatically, including the homepage link and the download link monthly. This was one of the first things we started doing. We also added a "Report Bad Link" button on each page so that we could verify bad links and get them out of the database right away.

I am not sure what else we can do here, we even check to see if the link to the program not only sends back a 200 server response, but we check the mime-type to make sure it is a binary compressed file (.gz, .gzip, etc..)

However, nontheless, we are strongly thinking about requiring the authors to have us host the scripts directly, as it 1) mitigates/eliminates the problem you described above and 2) is just another test of ligitmacy for getting added to HotScripts (we know you have "something").....
    -------------------------------------------------
    WHT owner once upon a time....
    http://www.gabrielmurphy.com

Prohacker,

Thanks for your feedback on HotScripts.com. We definitely realize 404's are bad... you would be surprised at how many links we actually remove each day from the site for bad links.

As Gabriel mentioned, a new backend for HotScripts.com is currently in development, and over at our sister site ProgrammingTalk.com we are welcoming suggestions for improvement on HotScripts.com --

http://www.programmingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2673

I hope I am not violating any rules by posting that link! Im sure the mods will let me know!

Originally posted by Samuel
    [offtopic]I'm sure you remember the days of the first V of IMDB, the black and white basic times new roman interface, very useful database of movies, just simple raw functioning site.

Hotscripts is starting to lean away from the idea of the simple raw functioning site with the new layout (Not that it has totally lost its focus) but as time goes on the gems out there seem to be losing their luster, .... by adding luster.[/offtopic]

You have to dig deep, be observant, and have a bit of wisdom relevant to the development side of the web to have caught the Yaxay comment.
    Hi Samuel:

I appreciate your candid comments on HotScripts, and you may be surprised, but I partially agree. This is why we will be releasing a new skin for HotScripts sometime in December that is more toned down. We plan on removing the skyscraper off of the index page and adding more content. We plan to have a "classic" skin option that users may select. Your comments have been echoed by others.

The site will have less vibrant red and more simplicity. I think you will like it, although from a functionality standpoint, the front-end has not really changed at all.

Any ideas for improving the functionality would be welcome!

We already have:

1. Much more advanced search (search by price, popularity, rank, platform, etc, etc.)
    2. Real-time statistics and updating of scripts on a real-time basis
    3. Local hosting of scripts
    4. Like vBulletin, allow for users to select multiple skins for the site (allowing us to appeal to everyone- some people thought the old layout was dull and boring)
    5. Screenshots on the detailed listing pages along with more information.

We are having a series of brainstorming session on these very issues with HS right now at iNET. We are seriously considering a visitor poll to collect our visitor and listing partners' thoughts on areas of improvement.. Let me know your thoughts.

Great info, the one thing that I run into upon HS is the lack of intelligence in the search form (Basic page top search box dropdown) where it doesn't recognize the area you are in.

It’s a small thing, but from a usability standpoint it’s just one more thing that slows research down.

More specifically when you are within:
    /PHP the dropdown should be default to PHP in the selection.

I believe this can be done by JavaScript based on a breadcrumb script you may have currently, or a hidden tag specific to the language that is being viewed.

Just a small bit of info I wanted to relay and well the opportunity has made itself apparent =)
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Originally posted by Gabriel Murphy
    . . . The site will have less vibrant red and more simplicity.

Always a good thing. I'm into sites that are simple and easy to move around etc.
    We are seriously considering a visitor poll to collect our visitor and listing partners' thoughts on areas of improvement . . .
    That's a good idea too. Afterall, they're keeping things ticking over for you.

Good luck with your new business(es) Gabe and Ryan.

Thanks, Lance... give me a call sometime and let me know what's up with you! Hope school's going well for you.

Always good to see a former CT'er around!

Congratulations!

Best wishes to the new owners and thanks to headsurfer for your involvement with WHT and I'm sure your other business will continue to flourish.

I'm coming to the party a bit late I'm afraid but my excuse is I was on vacation.

It's quite a long thread and I actually read every bit of it. It's sure to be a WHT classic as it contains all the elements that one would expect and I have come used to here.

It was good to see that the Free web hosting section was implemented as that was an area that had become quite irritating. Also, having a separate section for servers and not mixed in with shared hosting plans was also very welcome. So much for the past.

Moving towards the future it will be hard to filter out 'lowball' hosts but not impossible. The trick is how to decide which host can provide such a low hosting fee and still be reliable. Or better yet is it the duty of WHT to provide such legitamacy to those seeking hosting plans?

I don't know if I have the solution but I do have some theories on the issue. I think it is an important one for WHT and the web hosting industry as a whole. I thoroughly enjoy the web hosting industry and of course like to try to make money at it too. Hopefully, WHT will continue to evolve and embrace the positive aspects of this industry and it's members.

Good luck to all!

iNet purchased ProgrammingTalk.com too? Wasn't that owned by akash?
    • Have • you • Floble'd • today? •

Once upon a time. But iNET got it via RackShack.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Yep, we have some very exciting acquisitions to announce later this coming month....

Anyone know of any good technology (internet service, web development, computer hardware) properties for sale? Or even good properties for that matter?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678