Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    From my 10 years living in the Caribbean and studying hurricane paths and trends, I can confidently say that hurricanes do not gain strength in shallow water or over land.

<ssshhhhhh> some weather guy in Chicago thinks they do.
    I spent a lot of time climbing the ladder of life.
    Then... I found out it was leaning against the wrong wall.

Originally posted by blue27
    From my 10 years living in the Caribbean and studying hurricane paths and trends, I can confidently say that hurricanes do not gain strength in shallow water or over land.
    They don't have to gain strength to do a lot of damage. I was living in Washington, D.C. when Agnes came through -- 1972 I believe. It came up the Potomac River and stalled, dumped a ton of water on DC, Maryland and headed on up to Pennsylvania where it stalled. Ground was already saturated so there was serious flooding all over.
    Laura K.
    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    graphic design for grownups

i have it

Ok, i have found secondary evidence for my comment on storm growth.

If you wish to humour me, go to http//www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive

then click Listen Live

then go to the right of the window, click "Up All Night 1am-2am"

5 minutes and 20 seconds in, a piece on Hurricane Isabelle begins, in the intro, ref another source; the presenter says " forcasters say Hurrican Isabelle could strengthen as it passes over the east coast"

I think that clears me of spouting rubbish, even though i wasn't behind it as such.

The section does also reveal how well prepared they are as well.

Note: The archived material will be replaced at the earliest, 0200 GMT +1

I lived in Tampa Bay for quite a long time ... and all I have to say is that Hurricanes SUCK!
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

I lived in Wilmington, NC during the mid-80's to mid-90's, when it became known as the "hurricane capitol" of the U.S... I think we got 3 or 4 near direct hits during my time there. We usually just went 2 or 3 hours inland, got a hotel room and no one ever gave us crap about taking our cats. We lost a few shingles and a shed or two, but that's about it. The worst was whenwe lost all the piers at Wrightsville and Kure beach, not sure if they rebuilt them.

I'm about 20 minutes outside of DC, and people here are pretty freaked out. Home Depot and Target are sold out of all flashlights, and D cell batteries... Hurry, Buy Buy!

I have a boat in DC, on the potomac, and went down to tie it up (doubling up the ropes, etc), and was surprised to find that the marina was entirely full, alot of boats electing not to pull out of the water.

I'll probably end up just sitting in my basement with a couple of friends riding it out. I suppose
    Keep your customers in the know with www.KnownOutage.com - free alerting software that you host. Did I mention that it's free?

Hurricane Party time!

I live in New Jersey (Right by Philly) and I can tell you the wind kicked up this morning.

Also they changed the path to be closer to us. And this baby has a double wall right now.

So we have impact, the strongest winds are now coming ashore.

Heavy Flooding in coastal towns. Southern Nags Head now cut off, winds less than expected currently, flooding becoming the major threat and problem now.

Projected path, N-NE

>> Associated Press

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12